Using my “valid” Latvian residency card to apply for residency permit in Portugal ?

Hello fellow travelers and legal experts,

I recently found myself in a unique situation and am seeking your collective wisdom. On December 23rd 2023, I voluntarily requested the cancellation of my temporary Latvian residency permit due to high taxation on my employment income. Despite the cancellation, my residency card still shows a validity period until May 2024.

Currently, I am exploring the possibility of relocating within Europe and am particularly interested in Portugal. Given that my Latvian residency card is technically still valid, I am curious about the feasibility of using it to apply for residency in Portugal from the embassy here in Europe.

My main concern revolves around the data sharing policies between EU member states regarding residency permits and cancellations. I've heard rumors that there might not be a comprehensive data sharing agreement in place, but I'm unsure how this affects my situation.

Here are my questions:

Can I still use my “valid” by date Latvian residency card to apply for a residency permit in another EU country like Portugal, even though I've requested its cancellation?

Would the Portuguese embassy have access to information about the cancellation of my Latvian permit, or is there indeed a lack of data sharing that might work in my favor?

Are there any potential legal implications or risks I should be aware of when applying for a new residency permit under these circumstances?

I appreciate any insights or experiences you might share, especially if you've navigated a similar situation or have expertise in EU residency laws.

Thank you in advance for your advice and guidance!

@saransh36

Hello, please note that I have edited the title of your thread for better visibility.

I hope members will be able to guide you.

All the best

Bhavna

"   I recently found myself in a unique situation and am seeking your collective wisdom. On December 23rd 2023, I voluntarily requested the cancellation of my temporary Latvian residency permit due to high taxation on my employment income. Despite the cancellation, my residency card still shows a validity period until May 2024.  "

You say you requested cancellation, was it cancelled?   

@saransh36

Your Latvian residency permit is only valid in Latvia, if you want to move to another country you have to start fresh again.

And cancellation is different from expiry... Information between countries is shared....

Your questions should be put to the Portuguese embassy in Riga.

@Strontium Yes its cancelled

@JohnnyPT for clarity my residency permit is cancelled so its not valid

@Bhavna

Could you modify my post title to invalid since I cannot modify it.

Thanks

@Bhavna
Could you modify my post title to invalid since I cannot modify it.

Thanks

-@saransh36

She has already