Public transportation in Bombay

Hi all,

What do you think about the means of transportation in Bombay ?

Is the network of means of transportation well developed?
What modes of transport are available?

Do you use them?

How much is a fare?

Are they relatively safe?

What is the mean of transportation you use the most in Bombay?

Thanks in advance for participating!

Hi friends

Sorry for the late response.

I am from Mumbai and I will be able to answer this.

Mumbai has been developed in a linear form unlike other cities which have developed in an encircled manner. So generally downtown is on the southern end and most of the residential space is on the northen side.

Having said this trains and buses and auto's (tuk tuks) are the common means of transport available to commute within the city. All the modes are safe. Trains are quickest and very very cheap.(10 rupess for 30 kms distance)

Buses are also frequently available (we call it as BEST buses) and even they are cheap..but the only problem is it takes long time to travel on roads as the infrastructure is weak.

I recommend auto's for shorter distance..they are slightly expensive.

Having said this..many parts like andheri east, bandra kurla comlex, powaii, vikhroli, mindspace (malad) are new avenues for business and provide job opportunities to millions of people.

Hope this passage helps.

Hi niravkhatri!

Thanks very much for your help ;)

It is much appreciated :)

Regards
Armand

Hi Armand

It was my pleasure...you are most welcome to ask me anything pertaining to Mumbai..:)

Only one thing, trains are horribly crowded, specially in rush timings!!!!

@libertysea

Cent percent agreed. The frequencies of buses have improved and the air conditioned buses are a pleasure to travel..however they take long time and travelling to downtown is not feasible..

libertysea wrote:

Only one thing, trains are horribly crowded, specially in rush timings!!!!

I totally agree...but the frequency is good and also its cheap than other transportations.

Hi  shilpi.chand111,

Please note that this thread is quite old. :)

Regards,

David.