Immigration Enforcement in Cyprus

Police in Paphos arrested two people for working illegally on Thursday.

According to the Paphos police's assistant operations director Michalis Nikolaou, police entered a café in the town on Thursday and found a 30-year-old man who is in Cyprus on a student visa working there.

He was immediately arrested, while the café's owner was charged in writing and released to be summoned to court at a later date.

Later the same day, police visited a construction site near the village of Ayia Varvara after being tipped off that third country nationals were working there without permits.

https://cyprus-mail.com/2024/01/12/two- … in-paphos/

Yes sadly there are a lot of illegal workers ...usually as a result of a cheaper labour requirement by some establishments and some wanting to stay beneath the radar to avoid immigration and taxes.

I know one of my locals struggles to get and keep staff as he just wil not pay a decent rate....I also know most of his past staff have been TCNs..... And this employer one of the richest families in Paphos district..I guess thats.why.

I am surprised about the student, as they are normally allowed to work on a student visa but only for 20 hours a week. 

@SimCityAT

Probably been monitored and doing a lot more .. or the person involved stopped studying..... Or maybe overstayed their student visa

@SimCityAT
Probably been monitored and doing a lot more .. or the person involved stopped studying..... Or maybe overstayed their student visa

-@Toon

Yep, or just used a Student Visa to enter the country.

@SimCityAT

one of my thoughts or suspicions too.  Its quite a common route to entry

@SimCityAT
one of my thoughts or suspicions too.  Its quite a common route to entry

-@Toon

Sadly it does seem to be a problem everywhere and that's why they are cracking down on everything in the UK, but in the UK they are just going and doing it the wrong way in my eyes.