Media Concept TV

Hi everyone, and happy new year!

Would appreciate some advice especially anyone else who has encountered this issue....

In October 2023 I arranged for someone to set up my TV in order to enable me to catch up on British soaps.  Has worked fine until last Thursday and for some unknown reason when I've logged into ITV1 and BBC1 all the timer/clock symbols have disappeared.  Therefore when I choose a particular programme it flashes up informing 'this programme cannot be shown' or similar.

I don't understand where all the timer/clock symbols have gone.  Perhaps into the ether somewhere?

The guy who has set this up for me is currently as useful a crutch with a castor on the bottom and also informs me I'm not eligible for a refund - am becoming so frustrated with his lack of support and the fact I've paid for a package that is currently defunct!

Please help and thanks in anticipation

You ve been scammed las

I wish you had spoken to me first

U prob need a decent VPN  then u can watch them x

A decent supplier will offer a free VPN or not need one ... 

You need to install a vpn (i would install it on a router not just the TV) so you will get all news any channels from anywhere.  i have it installed on my fire stick as I travel frequently for work and want to see my US football live from youtube in the hotels i stay at in North Cyprus…

In October 2023 I arranged for someone to set up my TV in order to enable me to catch up on British soaps. 

-@Incognito2411

The problem is you're trying to break the law. Much as it's an especially dumb law, it's still a law.

That means anything you do can neither be guaranteed, nor can you trust anyone selling services to do it.

last I heard, BBC iplayer with a VPN worked, but that could change tomorrow.

Most of the services you find on Google are plain and simple scam jobs, especially sponsored links.

You see '90 days free', but you have to pop your credit card details in.

The rest depends on how good a picture you want. livingabroad.tv and a bunch of others stream, but quality and safety are never guaranteed. I used to watch filmon.com but it's been yonks since I bothered so it may or may not be available now.

Radio is legal and easy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_radio_fourfm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/podcasts

and lots more

In October 2023 I arranged for someone to set up my TV in order to enable me to catch up on British soaps.      -@Incognito2411

The problem is you're trying to break the law. Much as it's an especially dumb law, it's still a law.
That means anything you do can neither be guaranteed, nor can you trust anyone selling services to do it.
last I heard, BBC iplayer with a VPN worked, but that could change tomorrow.
Most of the services you find on Google are plain and simple scam jobs, especially sponsored links.
You see '90 days free', but you have to pop your credit card details in.

The rest depends on how good a picture you want. livingabroad.tv and a bunch of others stream, but quality and safety are never guaranteed. I used to watch filmon.com but it's been yonks since I bothered so it may or may not be available now.

Radio is legal and easy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_radio_fourfmhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/podcasts

and lots more

-@Fred

Even some Radio stations are now blocked from the BBC site,

I use https://mytuner-radio.com

You need to install a vpn (i would install it on a router not just the TV) so you will get all news any channels from anywhere.  i have it installed on my fire stick as I travel frequently for work and want to see my US football live from youtube in the hotels i stay at in North Cyprus…

-@Im2hitec4u

No need for a VPN. It was working fine before. Most likely the site was shut down by the authorities and police. It is happening all the time.

Even some Radio stations are now blocked from the BBC site,

I use https://mytuner-radio.com-@SimCityAT

I listen to Radio 4 and podcasts quite a lot. The BBC site works a treat.

I have experienced problems with non-official sites in the past.

More likely the resellers supplier has removed the catch up function.. Nothing he can do about it except apologise for not supplying what he sold and give a partial refund as live feed is still operational.... But given that the main use is for catch up and nothing else then he should give a refund ... But he won't .....

@Im2hitec4u  I have a VPN installed on my laptop but due to being a techyphobe I am totally clueless as to how I install it on router 1f914.svg

Example of vpn install

https://www.expressvpn.com/go/vpn-softw … duEALw_wcB

NB .... Some routers cannot take a VPN

To install a VPN on a router you will need full admin access to the router and a vpn program that is compatible with the router you have.  I have a PrimeTel fibre router and it is locked down and PrimeTel will not allow admin access. I have NordVPN setup on my notebook and I can access BBC TV using iPlayer just screen casting to the LG TV.

I did look for a VPN that would install on the LG smart TV but did not find one. The SmartDNS option will work sometimes on the TV but BBC seem to know about this and it gets blocked. The notebook option works well for me and I can download thing on iPlayer during the day so I have a stack of things to watch if the connection gets a bit laggy. My fibre is 100Mb but that is only inside Cyprus as soon as I hop over to the UK it drops to about 10mb! Probably due to contention and a satellite link lol

Thank you all for taking the time to reply and inform - much appreciated!

I have since contacted ShortCircuit who installed my Internet asking if Router is compatible to enable VPN.  If not, then am scuppered and will just have to accept that Cobbles et al will be a thing of the past 1f62b.svg1f62a.svg

Not at all I think your best bet is a triotech box ..

@phildraper

We don't get fibre for a while yet but we do have 80mbps ADSL and Cyta they don't lock the admin access down and I have a smartDNS service for it with alternative DNS routing works well except when power outage and has to be reset.

Luckily my TV services including full catch up don't need a VPN at all....

Buy your own router on amazon and install any software vpn you want.  gosh i should start an IT business there.

Can companies stop you from buying your own?  i would just get raw insternet no tv service and just pay for internet a smart tv and some vpn software once and configuare. 

Or get an amazon firestick and install vpn on it.

This is the response back from ShortCircuit.............

For VPN services are supported on any network, as the router doesn't matter.

You can install any VPN software on the device you want to use it with e.g. Laptop/smartphone.

Am confused.com 1f62f.svg

@Im2hitec4u..

Only a guess but I would think they could probably do so .. doesn't the router used have to be registered to their network and they would have to.aprove its use to safeguard that network

They don't mention router though.. and I say that as I asked my supplier and they said my current router couldn't take the installation of of a third party VPN.

There are VPN routers available ....

I have a Firestick with Nord VPN installed, with this I can watch live Dutch and UK TV anywhere in the world.

@Incognito2411

jist buy any router so you can bypass having to rent one through your ISP.  then you can have your tv box from the ISP but you can have your home protected by a VPN on your router.  this means your house and anything needing an IP address will come from anywhere.

@Im2hitec4u Sounds idiotic but with this function does it mean I don't have to pay yearly subscriptions?  Please bear with me as I'm NO techie guru - quite the opposite in fact

Free, but I have no idea how long for

livingabroad.tv

It just worked for me

No it doesnt get away from havong to pay for the app versions of your tv channels.  what it will do is allow access to them without being blocked.  so in the US the TV stations block certain live football games if you are not in the area.  what VPN does is confuse the blocking because it thinks that you are locally watching. 

so if you want to watch BBC and you are physically in Cyprus the VPN will ask you where you want to obtain an IP address.  you would want to be in a local London area to watch BBC and see your local channels and sports without any issues.

I pay €47 a year and have 15000 channels from pretty much every country possible. I use an App on my TV, on my Tablet, on my phone and Laptop.

@SimCityAT  That's pretty good - who are you with?  Apologies if you've already mentioned this!

@SimCityAT  That's pretty good - who are you with?  Apologies if you've already mentioned this!

-@Incognito2411

Sent you a PM