Obtain a NIF for partner

Hello,

Soon I will be in Sao Vicente to get a NIF. Does anyone know if a can obtain a NIF for my partner when I am in Sao Vicente? He wont be present. Is there a way that he can give me authority to get a NIF for him?

Thank you!

Hello,
Soon I will be in Sao Vicente to get a NIF. Does anyone know if a can obtain a NIF for my partner when I am in Sao Vicente? He wont be present. Is there a way that he can give me authority to get a NIF for him?

Thank you!

-@Shai Leen

Hello Shai,

You can get a NIF for your partner. Why doesn't he wait till he arrives in Cape Verde? It takes all of 10 minutes to apply for a NIF.

But he doesn't need to be present as there is nothing to be signed and the NIF number is not confidential. However, to avoid arguing with idiot civil servants if he is not present, you might want to have a letter from your partner (in Portuguese, and witnessed by a notary), authorizing you to obtain the NIF on his behalf.

You will need a copy of his passport, his civil status (single, married, divorced), the name of his mother and father, his address in Cape Verde (just use your own), and his telephone number in Cape Verde (just use your own). (You too will need these yourself for your own NIF).

For address, remember that we don't have traditional addresses here (as there is no mail delivery, and only the neighborhood/zona is what matters as it identifies which municipality you live in). So, the address you give can be as simple as "Mindelo", or "the street behind the Police Station, Mindelo".

And the reason you need a local phone number is that they actually send you an SMS within 24 hours telling you the number of the document you can use to download a PDF of the NIF from the portondinosilhas.gov.cv website. This way you can pickup the NIF online. If you don't like working online, just go back to the Casa do Cidadão and pick it up in person.

Note that you should note misplace your NIF number because it will cost you a small fee to get another printout from the Casa do Cidadão. So take a picture of it and save it in the cloud.

Regards,

Angelo