D7 SEF NHR process

So it seems the Legislature and Prime Minister of Portugal pulled the rug from under my feet.

I am retired in America. I pay zero taxes on my pension in my State of Residence.

I was willing to pay 10% for the priviledge of living in Portugal.

But now who knows?

I have been moving slowly to get my D7 visa and I have been warned the SEF appointment in Ponta Delgada might happen 10 to 12 months from now.

I have a NIF and a bank account.

I have a leased apartment.

But I can't use any of it.

So now what can I do?

Is there any time to get the NHR?

Hi Ricktark1,

If you already have all that, why haven't you applied for a visa? With the dates set for the end of the NHR for those who live exclusively on pensions, it's complicated.

You'll have to apply for a visa first in order to get a residence permit...

Regards

We are in a very similar situation but we DO have our D7 visas with an arrival date of Nov 20th.  We also have all the other requirements i.e. apartment that we have been paying rent on since July1st, bank account, NIF but our SEF appointment isn't until Feb. 3rd, 2024.  Unfortunately, our lease is a 18 month lease but it is my understanding  that Portuguese law allows the tenant who fulfills 2/3rds of the lease ( 12 months ) in my case, to break the lease and still get his deposit back...fingers crossed.  After consulting with our Portuguese tax attorney and having simulations of our tax situation with our Social Security... without the NHR, our taxes we will owe  to Portugal are high but manageable...barely.  We both feel the privilege to live in Portugal in our final chapter of our lives is worth this cost.  This is not because we are wealthy....far from it, its because we want this that badly....that's how much in love we are with this incredible nation.  After finishing 1 year of renting, we plan on buying a flat which would certainly reduce our living expenses and hence our tax liability in Portugal.

So, I guess this is strictly an individual decision.  No one size fits all.  We only wish we had done this sooner.  We are missing the deadline by 34 days.  All this was out of our hands.  VFS in San Francisco was that backed up and so what else can we do?

@Ricktark1. I am not even as far along as you.  We don't have a signed lease yet because no one wants to accept our multiple pets.  I am still all in for moving though.  I need an adventure

@rspencerkeith

I spent 3 weeks in Oct Nov 2022

5 weeks centered on june2023

Then 3 weeks taking possession of my apartment in Aug sep 2023

It is a good adventure. Enjoy.

@bill85lisa. I hear ya!  It will be same for us.  We hope to fulfill our D7 lease requirement and with the funds we hopefully get from the sale of our Colorado home, buy a home in PT outright so that we have no mortgage.  And we will be going from multiple vehicles to only one or 2 which will reduce our auto expenses.  I just feel things will work out.

@bill85lisa

Hi Bill,

I was wondering if the US-Portugal tax treaty could you be used in your case to avoid (or reduce) double taxation of your social security income?