How to correctly charge tenants for their Energy and Gas usage

Hello!

I am seeking clarification on the subject, so I can fight for my rights with some knowledge. I will try to make this short, but first, here is some context:

I rented a room in a 2-bedroom apartment (or trilocale, as Italians call it) in Lingotto, Torino. The landlord, a Cuban immigrant that has been in Italy for many years, married to his Italian wife and have a kid, explained that he would make a long-term contract (I think it was 3 years?), but that I could stay for less time. I told him that I was aiming for 3 months or more *IF* I found a job, but a minimum of 2 months. He assured me that was not a problem, as long as I would stay at least 2 months and gave him notice of moving out as soon as possible.

I stayed there from May 1 until June 26, 2023.

Rent was 700€ a month + gas + electricity + internet.

I gave 2 months deposit, totaling 1400€, which was going to be used to deduct my gas and electricity usage, internet, and any damages (there were no damages).

The last day, before I moved out, we went all over the apartment and everything was in order. No complaints or remarks.

On June 19th, he sent me the Enel bills:

Gas: total of around 70€. Bill says it's from February through end of May.

Electricity: total of around 120€. Bill says it's from April through end of May.

He has yet to send me the other bills that have my June usage (which is strange to me, since I believe it's already been issued).

Here is my problem: The landlord says that I MUST pay the ENTIRE gas bill amount of 70€ and the ENTIRE electricity bills which are 120€ + 220€.

My question is: This cannot be correct, right? He says that there is NO WAY to determine my exact usage, even though on the Enel bill shows "rilevata" and "reale", showing the exact consumption -- not the assumed consumption. He even called me from an Enel branch and made the employee talk to me. I asked her if the reading are the real consumption, and she said yes. Then I told her I was there on May and June, but the landlord wanted to charge me the entire 70€ bill. She got quiet and told me that I have to address that with the landlord, of course...

For the gas bill, of 70€, the total consumption was 70 smc. I told him that it's only fair to calculate each month's consumption and I pay for only my consumption. He denied that. I explained to him that if a family of 5 were there from February until the end of April, using insane amounts of gas, and I moved in in May, why would I have to pay for their consumption as well as mine?

It doesn't make sense to me. He blames that it's how it's done in Italy. What do you guys think? Have any of you been through this? Any tips, I mean...he's still got my security deposit till this day.

Thank you for reading!

In Britain it would be normal for the landlord to record the readings from the gas and electricity meters when the first tenant leaves, so that the usage of the second tenant can be isolated and charged separately. But in Britain the meters display this information. I'm not sure if we can get that from the meters in the basement of this Italian building or not. I might have to call the energy company.

It sounds like the landlord forgot to do this and now has no way to determine how much you owe. You do owe something and are happy to pay what you think is realistic. It will be necessary to estimate it. I do not know what the law is in Italy but there are some aspects of Italian law that are really very, very strange so it wouldn't entirely surprise me to find you're legally liable, unfortunately Italy can be like this: it doesn't always work on logic or common sense.

Moderated by Bhavna 6 months ago
Reason : Irrelevant. Please post an advert in the Job offers in Italy section
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Did you have your own meter or were you on a sub meter from the landlord?

The electricity component is not the larger part of low bills - there are a host of fixed charges, which are at the cost of the renter, so if you had your own meter, you would be responsibile for the entire amount.  If you were  in the property for only half the time billed, then the owner should calculate the proportions but is not generally constrained to do so.

@Modicasa

I am not sure if it's a submeter or not because I cannot tell the difference...but it's a two-block apartment building, and I was the only one using the apartment for 2 months. It's located at Via Madonna delle Rose 24, Torino.

There is nothing in the contract about paying the entirety of the gas and electricity bill, and nothing about paying the the entire duration on the bills, either.

Here is a link of a section of the bill that shows the usage details. He still has not sent the new gas bill and has not sent the electricity bill, despite my hundreds of attempts.

https://i.postimg.cc/fSLpqh4g/gas-febmaraprmay.png

I went to Enel, the energy and gas provider, and spoke to the branch manager. He explained that the usage on the bill is the actual consumption and that it would be fair to divide the bill period in the months that I stayed and stick to that (of course, considering what's written on the contract, which has no mention of paying the total bills, etc.).

I guess my next steps would be asking if any of you had a similar experience, how you handled it, and what was the outcome? I feel like I should bring this to the Questura's attention (since the contract was registered with them) and see what happens.

Any information is greatly appreciated.