Cultural Code

Nowadays when everyone over the world  knows the variety of  the ways of communication  via email, w.app, Twitter etc. It seems  easy and simple.

Yet, it is not that simple. In Greece most of the shops, medical clinics, workers and professionals won't reply to your email-message although they have an email address.

It takes time to understand manners of people from other countries. Well, in Greece, if you send your message for a professional or would like to place an order or even make an appointment with a doctor, your chance to receive an answer is close to zero. The reason is Cultural Code. Greeks think that contact by email is impolite. Their communication is mostly by phone call.

Obviously, there are a few who reply to an email due to the fact that they have been living abroad and know other custom business.

As for Real Estate Agencies  -  my experience shows that 90% of them do not react to any email message.

By the way, pay attention while you search a property via one of the real estate website. there is a repetition of the photos and the dot on the map does not indicate the exact location of the property.

@geraniumgiftI can only say that Im very pleased to get to phone my doctors personally and clinics,I normally use private doctors as we have insurance but I can also phone my pathalogo/GP who is registered with IKA.I get the mobile numbers of all my private doctors/surgeons,try for that in UK,NO WAY,they are Gods who will also charge you an arm and a leg to see them.my friend went back to Wales recently,got worried about a bowel problem,wanted a Colonoscopy,went to a private clinic and was quoted two thousand pounds,here I recently paid two hundred in the navy hospital in Athens with my private doctor who works there,I phone him,I sometimes phone my ear/nose/throat doctor rather late of evenings if I have a problem,he calls me back on my phone if he is with a patient,my orthopedic private surgeon I call rather late too on his clinic nights,the phone is fabulous.he called after a recent surgery of mine to see how I was,MOBILE,are they really going to email me,am I going to email them...no....they aint got time....my husband works at Athens airport and is supposed to send emails to various people in there for communication,waits until the next full moon for a reply,pick up the bloody phone,My son worked for a well known travel agent in UK years back,they told him...we want you not to speak to the person working next to you,dont even phone them,send an email about work matters.....oh help us!....So I love phones,Greeks love the phone...yippee...And the dot on the map is not indicative of exact location of property,the dot is often in the middle of the ocean.