Retirement visa and shipping process timeline

Can I ship a container tax free if my retirement visa is in progress or do I have to wait until it is final. We are trying to co-ordinate the sale of our US home and shipping our household goods without having to place them in storage.  However, our retirement visa application is still being reviewed.

Can anyone answer this question?  Will we be given a temorary cedula at the same time as the medical exam or is that granted at the very end of the visa application process months later?  Thanks

There is no temporary cedula - you will get one after you get your Residencia card. You must have your residency in order to apply for the import duty exoneration.

And to clarify, you get your VISA from the Dominican Consulate in your home country. After obtaining that, you apply in the DR, with the Direccion General de Migracion for your RESIDENCY.

Your Visa is a one-time thing as the first step, then you will get your Residency for one year, then two years, and eventually for 10 years at a time.

Great info above.  And 😁 me to the forums!!!

Yes very great info… keeping it simple

I think it's 10 yrs before you qualify for the 10 yr residency.... the 'definitiva'

Hello to all. We just received our residencia and cedula last week. We are in Raleigh, NC, and will be relocating to Cabarete. We have a few questions that I hope you guys can help with.

1. How do we apply for the import duty exoneration? Is there a website?
  2. How long is the exoneration suitable for?
  3. We have 2 dogs. When is the best time of year to transport them? (We may have to ship our goods prior to traveling with our dogs, which is fine)
  4. Does anyone recommend who we can use to transport our fur babies? 1 is an American Staffordshire Terrier, so most airlines restrict transporting that breed.

We really appreciate any help you can provide.

@DeeJeeKing congrats on getting your residencia!

1. the exoneration is granted hy Aduanas. We used a customs broker to help with ours, so I'm not sure of the exact process.
  2. You have to import within 6 months of receiving your residencia.
  3. Most airlines and cargo companies require temps at all airports along the way to be below 85: Winter is best!
  4. Many people end up chartering flights for the dogs that the airlines won't transport.

I suggest using a customs broker strongly! The stress it can save is immense

@ddmcghee

Thank you. We are very excited about our relocation. I am sure we have a lot more to accomplish. May I ask who did you use (customs broker)?

Where will the container be arriving to?  You want the make sure the agent works in that port. 😊

@planner

The port of Caucedo, as per our shipper.

Ok so a customs agent in Santo Domingo will work well for you. I can recommend Sugey Toribio +1 (809) 861-1911. Her English is decent and she knows her stuff.

@planner

Thank you. We will reach out to her.

You are very welcome.

@DeeJeeKing We used Arelis Calderon. 809-707-2658, 809-563-1244, [email protected]

https://www.radcacourier.com.do/micuenta/

@ddmcghee

Thank you.

@DeeJeeKing hi how long after you or your lawyer submiited your paper work via the DGM portal to the start scheduling you for your medical exam and DGM appointment.

How long did they take after your appointment to approve your residence card?

Trying to get some current time lines for my friend.

Was the process pretty easy and recommendations or bimps you encountered?

Thanks

@DeeJeeKing also you may want to check on the requirements for your pets (if you haven't already) I know CDC still has covid restrictions in place to bring pets into the states. Not sure bringing to the DR..

@karenhdoubleu hello can you explain retirement visa for me once you get it how long does it last and so forth than you

@ddmcghee is there a certain amount of time you have to have you residence first

@DeeJeeKing hi how long after you or your lawyer submiited your paper work via the DGM portal to the start scheduling you for your medical exam and DGM appointment.
How long did they take after your appointment to approve your residence card?
Trying to get some current time lines for my friend.
Was the process pretty easy and recommendations or bimps you encountered?
Thanks

-@CHRISTOPHER DAVID56

Hi Christopher.

8/29/23 - Our Visas stamped and submitted

9/6/23 - Appointment with immigration and medical exam

1/30/24 - Our Residency and Cédula was ready for pickup.

I hope that helps.

@DeeJeeKing thanks

@ddmcghee is there a certain amount of time you have to have you residence first

-@Locomotionone

Hi. If I understand the question,  applying for the visa is the start of the residency process (which starts in your home country). Once the visa is approved, you then need to apply for residency (in the Dominican Republic). My residency card and Cédula is good for 1 yr before renewal.

I hope that helps.

@Locomotionone

My apologies,  I thought your question was to me. But I hope the information was helpful.

@CHRISTOPHER DAVID56

No issues with process. We used Lishali. Only issue was the cédula printing machine was down for a day and a half. Besides that, nothing major.

@DeeJeeKing no it helped...thank you...no worries

@Locomotionone For the duty free import of household goods, your shipment has to arrive withon 6 months of gaining residency.