Do I require a NISS

Hi am wondering if anyone can help I have my SEF appointment in Nov 23 for my digital nomad 1 yr residency visa do I need to apply for a NISS before that interview does anyone have any experience about recent SEF appointments and what was asked for, thanks.

Hi,

It's not a mandatory requirement for the SEF interview, but it's easy to request the NISS online.

Apply for Social Security Identification Number (NISS)

https://eportugal.gov.pt/en/migrantes-v … m-portugal

Hi,It's not a mandatory requirement for the SEF interview, but it's easy to request the NISS online.Apply for Social Security Identification Number (NISS)https://eportugal.gov.pt/en/migrantes-v … m-portugal-@JohnnyPT

Hello JohnnyPT,

what does one do with a NISS? I have one, but I have never been asked for it? Is it required for receiving social security services? Would I get these without having ever paid into the system?

Thanks

Hi TGCampo,

In your case, you probably didn't need the NISS.

NISS is required for those who make social security contributions from work in Portugal.

If you're a German pensioner, in order to access the Portuguese NHS you'll need to show your S1 document issued by another EU state, which you probably have already done.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=902977

Many thanks for the reply. I am a permanent resident in Portugal with NIF, NISS and Utente SNS, but I don't get a pension from anywhere (so far). While I have a NISS it is not printed on my Permanent Residence Certificate. TBH, I believe all is fine and I hope to never need SS services in Portugal.

The local Centro de Saude requires a NISS, to ask for a SNS número de utente.  I know, not everyone agrees that this is required, but it is what it is.  I need the número de utente so I can have a physician attest that I can sit up and look like I could drive a car despite being over 60, so that I can exchange my drivers license.

The local Centro de Saude requires a NISS, to ask for a SNS número de utente.  I know, not everyone agrees that this is required, but it is what it is.  I need the número de utente so I can have a physician attest that I can sit up and look like I could drive a car despite being over 60, so that I can exchange my drivers license.

-@donn25

Interesting. I am an EU citizen. I had a SNS número de utente long before I applied for the NISS. I needed the SNS número de utente to get my driver's license extended. It looks like we got the NISS for no good reason at all. The SNS número de utente is very useful, though.

The  only time I needed the NISS was when we registered our daughters in school. And I needed their NISS, not mine, from what I recall.

I received a SNS número de utente in 2019 without a social security number (NISS).  I  only applied for the NISS in 2023 when SNS sent me a letter to update my Título de Residência. When I showed up to give them my new Título de Residência details, they asked for my NISS! I was flabbergasted but complied. The online application for NISS was a breeze and SNS was happy. I am still clueless why the need for a NISS number after so many years. 😆

I received a SNS número de utente in 2019 without a social security number (NISS).  I  only applied for the NISS in 2023 when SNS sent me a letter to update my Título de Residência. When I showed up to give them my new Título de Residência details, they asked for my NISS! I was flabbergasted but complied. The online application for NISS was a breeze and SNS was happy. I am still clueless why the need for a NISS number after so many years. 😆       

-@Musefaery Have you ever had to pay some NISS taxes or contributions to Social Security as a foreigner?

@donn25 For what it's worth, I obtained an SNS number (número de utente) in early 2023 without having a NISS.

Here in central Portugal, the list of documents an EU citizen must submit to SNS to obtain a número de utente includes a NISS only if you have one (“se tiver”).

I did not have a NISS, so when I provided my other documentation to SNS, I simply told SNS that I did not have one. SNS issued my número de utente without asking me to obtain a NISS.

Perhaps the process varies from region to region or is different for non-EU citizens.

(In late 2023, I went ahead and obtained a NISS anyway, just in case I ever need it in the future. It's easy, quick and free to do so through the Instituto da Segurança Social.)

In the case posed by the original question ... I don't think I'd go there until after at least going through the SEF residency interview, after issuance of the visa.  I assume D8 works roughly the same as D7, going through essentially similar screening for the visa and then the initial residence permit.

When I got mine, the funcionário  made kind of a question over whether I wanted to sign up with my residence permit ID, or my passport, though she was unable or unwilling to say why it would make any difference.  I haven't made any plans for what to do when my US passport expires, but I think any ID attached to the passport will need to be revisited at that time.  So I was glad I had waited until I had a Portuguese ID.