United Airlines non stop to the Philippines

Starting October 29th United Airlines will fly non stop to the Philippines (MNL) from (SFO). San Francisco.

PAL been doing that for a while, have nicer stews.

I saw that Bob... price for round trip out of S.F. in I think January was 874ish bucks... not bad.

-@mugteck

PAL has done this for years, but United entered the market with a nonstop from a different airport (San Francisco).

That's great news for our American friends on the west coast not just in terms of airline options but price competition. Wellsfry's quote for a return flight is very competitive.

It will be interesting to know the cabin configuration in terms of business and economy (I doubt 1st class will be an option). The occupancy load ratios on aircraft flights into the Philippines tend to be more tilted to economy (coach) than usual which gives a higher % chance of an upgrade to business if you are a member of their frequent flyer programme.

Moreover Philippine Airlines don't (as I understand it) have flat beds in business which United probably do. Non stop from SF to Manila will be brutal at the back. Mugtecks observation is on point about the Stews. Gone are the days of Braniff Airways from the 70's. Remember their commercials? ;)

https://images.app.goo.gl/tqDUbLnjMij3QtXs8

@Lotus Eater Oct 31st, Boeing 777-300ER, Economy $1392, Premium Economy $2810, Business Class $5570.

All fares above round trip.

But for service I'll take EVA all day long.

@Larry Fisher

Thanks for that illustration Larry.

OK so they are using Premier Economy which I've always thought is overrated given the price albeit better than economy. It puts a spanner in the works regards upgrades from economy to business as airlines tend to 'push people forward' when full in economy. So its the next grade up.

Never flown EVA Air (Taiwanese) but I've heard good reports about the airline. Pays ya money takes ya choice as they say.

@Lotus Eater Last year I flew ANA from LAX-MNL premium economy. It was less than double the economy price but well worth the expense in terms of service and comfort for a long flight.

In November when I came here permanent I flew EVA which was what I wanted before but they hadn't opened up yet from covid. When I flew in Nov, it was a one-way ticket with my Belgian Malinois in-cabin, business class on EVA. OMG it was so worth it to fly business class on EVA. The service is top notch from start to finish. Our one-way ticket cost roughly $3600. Sure it's triple economy. But so crazily more comfortable and accommodating. And the stewardesses from Taiwan were awesome. No bad attitudes and looking to make you happy. As the seat turns into a bed (did I mention they give you pajamas?) when I took Buddy with me to the head they happily made up the bed with a padded sheet and blanket.

And on the leg from Taipei to Cebu, business class was nearly empty, so they made up a bed next to my seat (across aisle as every seat is an aisle seat) just for Buddy's comfort! They loved him and made it really pleasant.

@Larry Fisher

Now you mention it I recall your post from last year.

How refreshing to be treated in that way. Sounds like they well and truly pampered your Pooch!

I've heard good things about ANA too. Far superior to JAL

PS Did the stewardess help you change into the Pajamas? :)

-@mugteck
PAL has done this for years, but United entered the market with a nonstop from a different airport (San Francisco).
-@Enzyte Bob

Tlook a nonstop on PAL from SF to Manila in October 2018, it was $10 cheaper than the 16 hour non-stop JFK to Manila flight.  Only thing Untied has going for them is their music, Gershwin for 35 years now.

@Lotus Eater heh, I didn't ask.

Thanks for the info Bob. I'm sure that UAL flight will be booked up due to the number of Filipinos living in the Bay Area. I abhor the really long flights (14-16 hrs).. the only way to do it for me is business and I hate to spend the money. I can do 10 hrs in PAL Prem Economy from Honolulu ($2000), because the seats are large and roomy. But, ya gotta get to HNL, lol and fares are higher in winter. Plus a hotel room isn't cheap, although I generally can use a free night.

I still might bite the bullet this winter though, and just do the direct route - LAX to CEB - in business. It's $4800 (R/T) on PAL, $5400 on EVA and Asiana.

Side note - I am getting really annoyed with PAL. I spent an hour with them the other day debating this 30 day issue, which they insist is a Gov't reqm't, since the pandemic. And whether I could book a 3 month RT ticket and be allowed to board the plane, even with an onward ticket. It is only $2000 for Prem Econ from HNL on a 90 day trip.. But to book a shorter 30 day trip and then extend later (as I normally do) puts me square in the holiday zone, so it's $2800. They refused to give me a definitive answer, even about having an onward ticket which I am fairly certain (but not 100%) would meet the requirements. They're suggestion was to contact the embassy and seek a 90 day visa. Beyond ridiculous but I may do it anyway. Or just fly EVA, haha.

Edit - Seems the rules may be changing to 60 days soon, but I can't wait any longer to book.

@pnwcyclist

“the only way to do it for me is business and I hate to spend the money.” Copy that!

You only live once (or is it twice? lol). I fly from London Heathrow with Etihad Airways - my inset pic shows me in Business imbibing on a glass of Montrachet :) I take the 2pm flight which gets me into Abu Dhabi at midnight. That particular flight is always only a third full in economy. So I have three seats to myself. Its half daylight half night but my body time clock is still on UK time so I would not wish to sleep even if I was in a flat bed. I'm happy with that.

So what I do now is book the second leg into Manila in economy and ‘bid' (its a kind of auction process) for an upgrade to business. That flight (EY 424) is always packed out in economy with Filipinos but as you can imagine very few fly business so the cabin is always empty. I bid the minimum amount, usually about $350, and always get a seat. 1 hour after take off I'm ready to sleep and stretch out in the flat bed waking up over the south China Sea around mid morning where more often than not a gorgeous Filipina serves me breakfast “ Full cream milk with your Rice Krispies Sir ? ” Salamat Po.

Pnw. I feel your frustration with this ongoing 30 day rule confusion. I mentioned this in an earlier post and Etihad assure me that I will be allowed to board with a return date beyond 30 days.

Roll on the 60 day visa!

“”Full cream milk with your Rice Krispies, sir?” 

Haha, I love that, Lotus.

I have bid a few times, for the Prem Econ to Business upgrade on PAL (the HNL - MNL leg) and got it both ways in 2022, for $500 each way. I agree it is very nice, but also not Etihad Airways.. But last trip that bid was not enough. Sigh..

Maybe I need to look at it again, midweek might be the key.  Checked EVA and they are $5700 for the straight shot from LAX.. no thanks.. I can do a lot of other things with that, lol.

The most important : No more vaccine requirement to enter

@pnwcyclist PAL sucks imho. I've had too many issues with them. Know wonder they went BK. EVA is awesome and imo worth the difference for business class. I'll take PAL for the occasional short trip, under 5 hrs. But only if I have too. I can't say I refuse to go to through MNL, but I try to avoid it like the plague. I booked a longer trip, an extra night in expensive hotel, and slightly more expensive ticket costs when we went to Bangkok last March just to avoid Cebu-MNL-BKK and back. The BS one goes through to go from Domestic to International terminals and the basic infrastructure sucking so bad in MNL is enough to turn me away. I understand they're doing things to improve MNL airport, but that's going to take time.

For me, any flight out of CEBU or into CEBU needs to be an international flight. Eva is good for this because Taipei airport is top notch. A layover there is not the worst thing in the world.

Seems there are many Expats on this forum with deep pockets, I myself have no pockets so I fly in steerage in back of the plane.

Seems there are many Expats on this forum with deep pockets, I myself have no pockets so I fly in steerage in back of the plane.
-@Enzyte Bob

Why do I think you have so much more. But you're just a cheap Charlie! 1f605.svg

Since I can't take it with me, and I don't live in the lap of luxury, yet still have some put away, I'll enjoy the pleasures while I can. Ain't got that many years left to go!

I posted . . . . Seems there are many Expats on this forum with deep pockets, I myself have no pockets so I fly in steerage in back of the plane.

Larry Fisher replied . . . Why do I think you have so much more. But you're just a cheap Charlie! 1f605.svg

Since I can't take it with me, and I don't live in the lap of luxury, yet still have some put away, I'll enjoy the pleasures while I can. Ain't got that many years left to go!

Then I replied . . . For me it just was a practical decision, it was two fares not singular, my wife & myself. Our non stop flight left at five minutes after midnight. Also it was a 250 mile drive to LAX (rental car), I was tired, so needless to say, sleeping was easy for me.

Also steerage was no big deal for me.

Actually it was three of us, the third person was a Filipina friend of my wife who was returning to the Philippines to live.

My trip late 2022 to USA - Cebu to Houston for my 3 Year Visa Run, I used Emirates Economy and most legs of the flights were not full.  About $1,800 RT including Seat Upgrades. I took a five day Layover in Dubai, mostly to eat some great food (really miss my Ribeye Steaks) and visit the Gold Market to buy a Necklace for my sweetie. I'll probably do that again in 2025. Hotel rooms very near the Metro were less than $100/night making it so easy to go to the two large Malls where there are plenty enough Restaurant choices to enjoy. I previously enjoyed EVA Premium Economy but their prices have escalated beyond my Budget.

-@Enzyte Bob

I travel in business class going to the philippines because I want to skip the crowd at the border control. To return to my country I don't really care, I can sit next to the hillbilly family at the back.

My trip late 2022 to USA - Cebu to Houston for my 3 Year Visa Run, I used Emirates Economy and most legs of the flights were not full. About $1,800 RT including Seat Upgrades. I took a five day Layover in Dubai, mostly to eat some great food (really miss my Ribeye Steaks) and visit the Gold Market to buy a Necklace for my sweetie. I'll probably do that again in 2025. Hotel rooms very near the Metro were less than $100/night making it so easy to go to the two large Malls where there are plenty enough Restaurant choices to enjoy. I previously enjoyed EVA Premium Economy but their prices have escalated beyond my Budget.
-@talamban

Emirates is a class outfit for sure. $100 per night seems reasonable. As you stayed for 5 days (great idea to break up the trip) did you check out the Emirates layover deals on hotels? All the big three Gulf super carriers occasionally offer these often with premium quality hotels. This summer if you fly business with Emirates you get 2 nights free at the five star One Central Five. Fly economy and you get a courtesy one night stay at the Novotel World Trade Center.

I note Emirates have recently introduced a premier economy cabin for some of their American destinations using the A380.

That Dubai - Houston leg must be a killer in coach; 16 hours. I think I'd be on life support at touchdown in IAH :(

@Lotus Eater Thx for the additional info. I did notice that the more comfortable 380 was added (They had removed it last year cuz of lower traffic). When I was working, I either travelled Business Class or al least Premium Economy - But that ended when I retired. Oh, The Good Ole Days. My trip wasn't bad cuz I upgraded to the Two Seats Only "Twin" Option in the rear of the cabin which is also near the CRs.

@OlivierDeCavite If you are a "Senior" like most of us, then you can use the Flight Crew/Diplomat window on the far left. I just learned about this on my last return.