Shipping Lithium batteries?

I want to be bring my battery operated tools to the Philippines. I have been told they cannot be shipped via Balikbayan boxes. Anybody have any success or problems with the 220/50hz vs 120/60hz cycle for charging?

Regards Keith

I shipped my Dewalt lithium batteries in a Balikbayan box with no issues. The lithium batteries bit the dust after some hard usage and I could find 18 volt lithium batteries so I ordered NiCad replacements and they are fine since all the construction work is complete. I use a step down transformer for my charger.

I shipped my Dewalt lithium batteries in a Balikbayan box with no issues. The lithium batteries bit the dust after some hard usage and I could find 18 volt lithium batteries so I ordered NiCad replacements and they are fine since all the construction work is complete. I use a step down transformer for my charger.
-@Moon Dog

First I want to thank you for the response. I was told by the shipper, absolutely not, about lithium. Maybe I'll send a few tools at time?  How did you label the box?

Regards Keith

@Kampkos104

We shipped over 60 boxes by LBC, 10 or 12 boxes at a time. The guy who picked them up was a Filipino and he said to list each box as clothes and canned goods. Some of the boxes contained desktop computers, iPads and at least one one MacBook. One box had all my HVAC tools including a Robinair vacuum pump. The boxes are 24" tall so I thought I would have to leave my 26" tool box behind but Kuya suggested taping two boxes together so I was able to bring my tool box and my surf rods.

Welcome to the forum Keith.

I have shipped a container with all manner of things from furniture to power tools, no problems. I have shipped 4 or 5 Balakbayan boxes since, over the last 4 years and no problems even with 5 Lithium batteries for my Makita cordless tools. 2 of those boxes the company wanted a manifesto like the shipping container we shipped here, we found a company that didn't give a sh1t, we send them in my partners name to his mother (god rest her soul) and no manifesto nor questions asked. 3 Boxes so far with that company and all done/ordered from the Philippines, The owner receives our deliveries, packs and sends, we pay him for his time, 1 to 200 bucks but saves us a flight back to Australia.

Try a different Balakbayan box company?

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

@Kampkos104
We shipped over 60 boxes by LBC, 10 or 12 boxes at a time. The guy who picked them up was a Filipino and he said to list each box as clothes and canned goods. Some of the boxes contained desktop computers, iPads and at least one one MacBook. One box had all my HVAC tools including a Robinair vacuum pump. The boxes are 24" tall so I thought I would have to leave my 26" tool box behind but Kuya suggested taping two boxes together so I was able to bring my tool box and my surf rods.
-@Moon Dog

I see the pattern, good advice!!!

Regards

Keith

Welcome to the forum Keith.
I have shipped a container with all manner of things from furniture to power tools, no problems. I have shipped 4 or 5 Balakbayan boxes since, over the last 4 years and no problems even with 5 Lithium batteries for my Makita cordless tools. 2 of those boxes the company wanted a manifesto like the shipping container we shipped here, we found a company that didn't give a sh1t, we send them in my partners name to his mother (god rest her soul) and no manifesto nor questions asked. 3 Boxes so far with that company and all done/ordered from the Philippines, The owner receives our deliveries, packs and sends, we pay him for his time, 1 to 200 bucks but saves us a flight back to Australia.

Try a different Balakbayan box company?

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.
-@bigpearl

I'm going to take my chances, thanks. After having a reasonable debate in my head, I sell  my tools at a huge loss, or take a chance.

Regards

Keith

Keep your rechargeable tools if good quality and power tools if 220/40 volts running 50/60 cycles/

Cheers, Steve.

@Moon Dog I had a tip from a long time resident who has since passed away that  no matter who you are sending the balikbayan box to, just invent a typical Filipino name and label the box "the personal effects of, the name you have chosen, care of the name of your recipient. Filipino's are very superstitions and the believe in KARMA. If you label your box like this they will assume that the contents of the box  are the personal effects of some OFW who passed away overseas and they far likely to make a little hole in the side of the box and steal what they can get hold of.