Budget for a year in Albania

Hi, I'm the British partner of an Albanian and after years and years and years of waiting for his UK visa issues to be resolved, we're considering moving to Albania for a year, get married etc and resolve this whole ridiculous mess once and for all.

So, I have LOADS of questions and would really appreciate your advice:

1. Are we being completely ridiculous in thinking that this move will resolve UK visa issues in one year, or at all?
2. How much does it cost to live in Tirana (a reasonable life style - not too nasty, not too extravagant), covering rent, food, bills etc?
3. How much does it cost to buy a reliable car that will survive Albanian roads?
4. I've heard job prospects are slim to nil at the moment, and I don't speak Albanian. Is it any use whatsoever for me to invest in a TESL qualification before leaving the UK?
5. It seems the Albanian visa process isn't very arduous - is this true? Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of?

Any help gratefully appreciated...

Thanks, Tania

Hi and welcome on board Tania!

I hope other members will be able to help you soon ;)

Regards
Armand

Hi Tania.

1. My personal opinion is that your partner hires a legal agent to help him with the Visa issue.

2. Renting is Tiran depends on the neighborhood that you choose to stay 150-1000Euro per month.
Food 100-300Euro per month.
Electricity bill is tricky because mostly of the time you will pay double the amount of energy that you've spend in a month.
There are 3 mobile companies in Albania (AMC Cosmoye Group-Vodfone Albania and Eagle Mobile), so between PrePaid and Postpadi Plan is better to choose PostPaid plan. For that you'll have to pay every month around 7Euro if you do/do not use the nr.Plus when you open the contract the bank will keep as a deposit 40Euro in case that you don't pay your bill.

3.A reliable car would be that of a second hand with a cost of 1500-3500Euro (Mercedes-Volkswagen-Fiat-Ford etc.)

4.Since you'r from UK its not very necessary to have a TESL qualification(but doing that will not cost any effort to you). Lately the best qualification that you can have is Marketing and Banking.

4.For UK citizens is free to enter in Albania as tourists. Any way you can check this link balkans.com/tax-view.php?id=319 which has a detailed idea for working permit visa in Albania.

Regards

Alba

If your partner is here stay here and marry him or you may have to be in Albania for at least 4 years before he can come back here as your husband. He will have to take an English Language test as part of the visa process and the visa will cost £810 even if they say NO.
Been there, done it and worn the tshirt and my partner is still there and me here even though I married him there as he was here illegally for years which didn't help his application.

Thanks both for your very helpful advice. Chelsea Girl - I was wondering whether we would find ourselves stuck in Albania trying to get back into the UK, and you have confirmed that this is almost definitely going to be a problem!

Thanks again,
Tania

Hi Tania
have you been to Albania yet. Perhaps you should go for a holiday first if not.What is the problem with you marrying him here? Our situations may be different so it is hard for me to give advice.
I don't really know how my husbands family or the people of Albania feel about him marrying an English girl but I have always found everyone friendly during my visits there.

Hi Tania what an awful situation i totally know exactly how you feel.  Im also married to an albanian, we married over there in 2006 as he had been living illegally in Uk.  I dreaded the thought of having to return without him but thankfully after just 2 weeks we got his visa. If i am to give you any words of advice i would say preparation is key in the visa process not forgetting lots of luck too.  Obviously everyones situation is different but if i can be of any help please contact me!!!   Wishing you all the best. x