Portuguese Teacher in Praia?

Hello

I'll be spending some time in Cabo Verde next month, and I was wondering what the feasibility of getting a Portuguese teacher for private face to face lessons might be. Does anyone have any experience of this, or could point me in the right direction to make enquiries?

Many thanks in advance

@jrlpugh I know someone who can face to face teach you Portuguese

Hello
I'll be spending some time in Cabo Verde next month, and I was wondering what the feasibility of getting a Portuguese teacher for private face to face lessons might be. Does anyone have any experience of this, or could point me in the right direction to make enquiries?

Many thanks in advance
-@jrlpugh

Hi there,

Glad to hear that you are coming to Praia.

One of the best language schools in the city is called Babel Language. They teach Portuguese using a structured teaching curriculum. They have several teachers who can come to your residence to give private lessons, or you can go to their location. The teacher there that I recommend is Lucas. He also speaks English fluently, as this will be important for proper communication between the two of you. He also teaches Kriolu, the local language. Send me a private message for further contact details.

Furthermore, if you'd like to meet other UK expats while you are here, let me know and I can introduce you.

Cheers,

Angelo

@jrlpugh where are you going to be in Cabo Verde>? I am learning Portuguese with Duolingo, could easily share that info with you if you like.

@henryeric6969

Thank you. Are they in Praia?

@CVAngelo

Thank you. I will enquire at Babel, though I do have my own coursebooks from Portugal so probably wouldn't need a teacher that comes with a set curriculum. I have learned Portuguese up to a pre-intermediate level in the past, so really need something that is tailored towards re-using learned language and building on it a bit (hence private classes).

I have learned languages from scratch to advanced level from teachers who don't know any English, so any teacher I find doesn't need to know any English. It's more for guidance, fluency development and error correction. 

@Tracy Thompson I'll be in Praia

@jrlpugh Language is a fascinating subject. You should note that Cape Verdeans are not native speakers of Portuguese. The native language is actually Kriolu and the average local person has learned Portuguese up to the high-school level.

So you might not be taught proper Portuguese by just any random person (although everyone will claim to be capable given that you will be paying for the lessons, so don't be fooled). You'll probably need someone that is well practiced at a high level or who has been schooled in Portugal - that would typically be a local working professional (in any area) who has studied/worked in Portugal and returned to Cape Verde.

Besides Babel, there are also teachers in the  local schools who teach Portuguese. I know a few of them. Another option would be to contact the Portuguese private school (in Palmarejo) which is staffed by teachers from Portugal. Given all of these options, I'm sure you can find someone who would be willing to give you private lessons in proper Portuguese.

In any event, best of luck to you.

Angelo

@jrlpugh Yes in Praia

@CVAngelo

Thanks again