How to successfully secure employment in Berlin?

Hi there,

How are you? My name is Sacha. I am a 42 year male from the UK! I am just wondering if anybody can give me advice on how to successfully secure work/permanent employment in Berlin?

Thank you very much for reading this message, and I look forward to hearing from you shortly!

Kind Regards,

Sacha

Hello Sacha,

Welcome on board !

Do you mind telling us your field of expertise and job you are looking for ?

Regards

Bhavna

Customer Service. I have been doing for 19 years!

A vital question is if you speak a high level of German. If not then you have little to no chance in most fields including customer service. The other question is your potential status in Germany; if you have one. Do you have residency and allowance to work? If you are intending to immigrate then you'll have to line up a job first and then get the work visa with a letter of intention to hire from a employer willing to take the extra effort, cost and risk to recruit someone from outside of the EU. If you are from the UK you must realize what Brexit means.

Then again your profile says you are originally from Mauritius, which won't help at all. Not sure what to make of another person saying they are going to come to Germany without an obvious legal pathway. Or maybe you have an EU citizen spouse which would make it much easier but you don't mention one?

@Sacha1 There used to be English-only customer service jobs at call centers in Berlin. I knew someone from England who moved to Berlin in 2011 and easily found such a job. Before Brexit and the need for a work permit, of course. Shortly after, those jobs started disappearing.

Now, I see ads for native English plus fluent German (another language on top of that welcome).

Call center and most other customer service jobs are not the kind that will be able to get you a work permit. Are you degree-educated or do you have any other formal qualifications?

@Sacha1 There used to be English-only customer service jobs at call centers in Berlin. I knew someone from England who moved to Berlin in 2011 and easily found such a job. Before Brexit and the need for a work permit, of course. Shortly after, those jobs started disappearing.
Now, I see ads for native English plus fluent German (another language on top of that welcome).

Call center and most other customer service jobs are not the kind that will be able to get you a work permit. Are you degree-educated or do you have any other formal qualifications?
-@ALKB

Quite correct one would not likely get a visa for a call center job. And I kind of doubt such things even exist in Germany anymore. English language call centers are hard to find even in English speaking countries because they all outsourse to cheaper countries like India. I can't imagine one in Germany except maybe for a technical support of a German company for which one would need special technical knowledge.

-@ALKB
Quite correct one would not likely get a visa for a call center job. And I kind of doubt such things even exist in Germany anymore. English language call centers are hard to find even in English speaking countries because they all outsourse to cheaper countries like India. I can't imagine one in Germany except maybe for a technical support of a German company for which one would need special technical knowledge.
-@TominStuttgart

There is no need for purely English-speaking call centres in mainland Europe anymore. All the adverts I have seen for employment in call centres for instance SKY, they ask for 2 languages, German/English or Italian/English. That's true even in Ireland and The UK, the call centres are in India.