Do you believe in LDR (Long Distance Relationship)?

A friend of mine recently gave up the opportunity to work overseas because he has a girlfriend here in Singapore and he doesn't believe in long distance relationship at all.

Another friend of mine (Singaporean) has been in a long distance relationship with her boyfriend (Australian) for close to 5 years and is finally getting married end of this year.

Do you believe in long distance relationship?

yes i do 100%

Yes, I do :)

i have very lil faith in it >.<

Its useless to have LDR coz it adds no value to your life

Well, it depends on the circumstances; some times it is interesting, but sometimes it makes the life worst. The reason behind it is our system and division of our land into various territories and countries.

What do you think if we live in a boarder-less country, like the birds who are free to move any where, like the water who flow in any direction, like the wind who has it's own will to flow...

Starkhan> Interesting thinking there! Borderless country = no such thing as Expat? Because we will have a common nationality. Haha.

Khurram> I think it is very subjective, depends on what one values in life I guess.

burp_eer> LDR requires a lot a lot of trust and patience :S

For me I will only believe in it if there's a common final goal between 2 parties. I guess eventually either one has to be willing to give something up in order for the relationship to work.

For my friend's case, she moved to Australia, leaving her family and friends behind in Singapore. Big sacrifice indeed.

yes u r right SiameseCat. It also depend what you want.

Agree. I dont like LDR too, it adds no value to your life:D

What's the purpose of getting married?

It depends on circumstances. But I do believe in it, one of most important elements of love is "trust". How can we be together without "trust"?

ive been to that and we just broke up...
and mostly guys cannot manage on LDR..
but girls can.....

why?

You might notice that most of the positive answers so far are from expats. If you live abroad you learn to cope with living away from people you love anyway. I think most expats are in jobs that require a lot of time away from their partners. (For us it's about three months out of the year.) It can be difficult and very challenging if you have any issues in your life or relationship to work through. On the other hand it's a great opportunity to branch out and make more friends and do things you don't get to do when you're together.

That said, distance is a test and only the strongest relationships will pass. If your friend isn't willing to go the distance maybe they aren't really invested in the relationship to begin with... or they need a kick in the pants.

typebug wrote:

Distance is a test and only the strongest relationships will pass.

It is possible, but certainly takes a lot more effort (and trust, and tolerance) to keep a LDR alive.
Due to my nomadic job (and my adventurous spirit), I have been in one for most of my married life (5 out of 9 years). We passed that test and have a daughter now, so I am trying to settle down.

I do, and I'm still in one.  My bf's moving here with me soon after > 2 yrs of separation. (Yay for me!!)

But of course LDR has its difficulties - loneliness, trust issues etc

We broke up before too but got back together 2 months later...

LDR really depends on the faith of a person and how he/she is brought up. Personally I do believe in LDR. :)

in my opinion it depends, were all different human being has different beliefs in life ^_^

depends on your heart :D

revival of this topic.... Depends

Nope. Even seeing each other once a week almost kill me. Can't imagine LDR thingy.

Its difficult, I am in LDR and nearly 2 years now. LDR is required trust, patient, persistent. I am feeling down sometime...

it all depend on the matter of trust of each person and how patient they can be.