Switching residence permits with marriage

Hi everyone, this has been posted in the forums before but nothing I found pertains exactly to my situation, therefore I am starting a new post.

I am from the US and am getting married to my partner this June. She is from Switzerland, but also holds a Dutch passport. Together we live and work in Berlin and plan to remain here. Currently I am on a working visa which is attached to my job and is valid until 2024. Prior to the working visa, I completed my master studies in Berlin.

When we get married (planning on getting married in Denmark), what are my options on acquiring permanent residency in Germany? Where do I need to apply for the new residency permit? Do I have to return the US in order to apply for the new residency permit?

Thank you for the help in advance!

-Stephen

There is no need for you to apply for a new residence permit - the old one remains valid.

But if you want to apply (and fulfillall the requirements), then your local foreigner authority ("Ausländeramt") is the place to go!

Hi everyone, this has been posted in the forums before but nothing I found pertains exactly to my situation, therefore I am starting a new post.

I am from the US and am getting married to my partner this June. She is from Switzerland, but also holds a Dutch passport. Together we live and work in Berlin and plan to remain here. Currently I am on a working visa which is attached to my job and is valid until 2024. Prior to the working visa, I completed my master studies in Berlin.

When we get married (planning on getting married in Denmark), what are my options on acquiring permanent residency in Germany? Where do I need to apply for the new residency permit? Do I have to return the US in order to apply for the new residency permit?

Thank you for the help in advance!

-Stephen
-@Stephenausidaho

After getting married to an EU national who is exercizing EU treaty rights in Germany, you can apply for a five-year residence card (this differs from a residence permit, even though both can come in card form) under EU freedom of movement. Permanent residence is achieved after five years as the family member of an EU national.

How long have you been living in Berlin already? Is that work permit a BlueCard or a conventional work permit?

https://service.berlin.de/dienstleistung/324282/en/