Car accident (no injuries), insurance questions

So I've been staying with people (locals) since December. I don't really knew them before coming here, they are friends of a friend (who was staying here too, but had to leave for an emergency).

They really live out in the boons here, and even just a grocery store is about a mile away. I like walking, but I also take care of a bunch of stray cats, and I regularly buy big bags of cat food (10-25kg).

My (Swiss) friend however hates walking, and he asked the host if he could use his car, to which he agreed. The car is an old little Chevrolet Pickup (Montana, there's lots of them around), with 300 thousand km and completely rusted through on various places. It's not one of these cars where you take out your smartphone to send a pic of it to your friends (look what they allow on the streets here!), but it's close. Not something I was taking on the highway, or faster than 60 kph /35 mph. But, as I soon discovered, it's just too comfortable having a car at your disposal. So once my friend had left, I started using it too. Not often, mind you, but at least once per week, and only for things that would have been difficult without a car. But still, I was driving it on public roads, even though it was just in a little village.

So the inevitable happened, and I lightly bumped a car yesterday. I say bumped because it was really just that, but because of the way it happened, the corner of my rear bumper dug a little bit into the other cars front bumper and broke the plastic, maybe a couple of  long. Looks like nothing, but bumbers of modern cars are actually quite expensive, even if it's just the plastic shell. Yes there are cheaper versions on mercado livre, but it's a 2019 car (Ford KA), so certainly not an option. Also, it must have damaged either a line, or maybe even the little reservoir that holds washer fluid for the windshield. And yes, it's not something “important” like a brake or fuel line, but the water is dropping out of it,. So it's either the tank, a line /connector or even the little pump which makes the fluid squirt on the windshield (or, by some miracle, just a line that has to be put back on its connector). By my estimate (without ANY official number, and without having determined if there's more hidden stuff, so far it's really just a guess) I think the parts will be 1000-1500 Reais, labour I have no idea. Obviously, with the bumper, there's also the question if the foam that's behind the cover is crushed too, and if so, how much that will be. So maybe we're at 2000 already, and there are certainly other (hopefully) small parts, plus obviously labor. And also painting the bumper. Modern cars are a pain to fix, ask my mechanic…  So even conservatively, we're probably talking about 3k here, but it could easily be 5 too. Assuming there's no hidden damage, but that bump was really really light, so unless there was something broken before, I don't think so. Thankfully the car looked well maintained, so I don't think so. Even the engine bay was clean….

Also, those are normal prices, what it would cost a normal customer. I have no idea how insurance repairs are handled here, in Switzerland they are usually more expensive.

Now come the catches…:

1. Dumb me never took the time to know beforehand what kind of consequences an accident could have. I was actually really lucky in many ways, even if I'd prefer it never happened. There are no injured persons, the damage is still relatively minor, and I do have an insurance. More on that later.

2. Dumb me used to have the stupid habit of going out without any documents or anything, so when that happened yesterday (thankfully it was on a half-empty parking lot , with few people around), I really wanted to avoid the police. I don't know what the procedure would have been, but worst case, they (the police) would have wanted to come with me to my house (room) to show them my DL and passport, and my hosts really wouldn't have liked that. Not because they are criminals or something, just because around here, that's how it is. As of now, we are still in a good relationship, which is important. So I called the owner of the car, who showed up really quickly…who wouldn't. Unfortunately, in the past there have been things happening which make that I can't really trust him, but he managed to talk the owner of the damaged car out of calling the police, which is a good thing. But it was certainly also in his interest.

3. After having the police "out of the way" (which quite relieved me, AND it certainly taught me a lesson…always have your documents), we said we were gonna meet tomorrow (which would be today) at his mechanic's shop. Well, as far as I know,  this didn't happen (I certainly wasn't there), and we have no estimate yet (I do doubt that, but so far I have to go with what I'm told). I don't know why, I'm sure there's a reason to that, and I'm afraid this could be some part of a plot to get as much money as possible (which is understandable, in many ways, yet obviously I still want to avoid it…)

4. So the owner of the old pickup which I drove is now officially the driver, but he says the owner of the damaged car could still press charges for a hit-and-run, because nobody here would testify for me (dozens of people have seen us talking for about an hour, including a number of restaurant and business owners, but maybe he's right. I don't necessary wanna find out..)Plus it was a public square and parking lot, there might be cameras who recorded the accident.

5. Unfortunately, I have the suspicion that the owner of the old truck is going to try to milk me for all he can. While I will pay him “gladly”, I would like to decide myself as much as possible how much he deserves.

6. The pickup owner said that the insurance of the damaged car was going to pay for it, but they were gonna try and get some money from him, for example apparently they have the right to sell his car. Good luck with that, but maybe it is worst a few thousand Reais, it's hard to tell. I guess if it can be registered the way that it is (rusted through and lots of things not working), it has some value.

Here something that was explained to me: Since the pickup owner has no insurance, the insurance of the damaged car will pick up the tab, however there is a franchise. From what he told me, this franchise depends on the car, he showed ma an article where it says that a 2019 Ford Ka has a franchise between 1900 and 5000 RS.

I do have a special travel insurance, although I never really looked through their service. When I started traveling seriously some time ago, I looked at the comparisons, and picked those two that seemed to the  best. The second one is only for medical emergencies, but the first one  should assist me if necessary , unfortunately i could not call them today ( I wanted to wait until we have an estimate, and there are a few hours time difference. I will write to them today, but I thought maybe some guys here have had experiences? Or advice? Would love to hear it then.

Regards

Kurt

Another problem is that I have plain ticket for next week (February 14), and February 21 will be my 90 days of visa. So even I wanted to, I still have to leave very soon. Obviously,  this puts some pressure on me, I don't wanna be arrested at the airport or something .

02/08/23. @Kurterino. Sorry to hear about that - good luck!

How about your friend, the friend of your hosts, who had the emergency?   Any chance of him parachuting in to save the day?  Sounds like this would be the perfect time for it.

How about your friend, the friend of your hosts, who had the emergency?  Any chance of him parachuting in to save the day? Sounds like this would be the perfect time for it.
-@abthree

What do you mean?  (Btw he will be back in Brasil at then end of February)

How about your friend, the friend of your hosts, who had the emergency?  Any chance of him parachuting in to save the day? Sounds like this would be the perfect time for it.
-@abthree

Thank you for your good wishes. I have been checking the terms of my travel insurance, and it sounds rather good: They will cover any related fees, lawyer costs and whatever tribunal charges, apparently independently of the outcome. Which made me a lot calmer, I'm writing to them as of now.

How about your friend, the friend of your hosts, who had the emergency? Any chance of him parachuting in to save the day? Sounds like this would be the perfect time for it.
-@abthree
What do you mean? (Btw he will be back in Brasil at then end of February)
-@Kurterino

I mean that, if you're concerned that your host doesn't have your best interests at heart, then your friend who is also his friend may in a position to balance that part of the equation more in your favor.

How about your friend, the friend of your hosts, who had the emergency? Any chance of him parachuting in to save the day? Sounds like this would be the perfect time for it.
-@abthree
What do you mean? (Btw he will be back in Brasil at then end of February)
-@Kurterino

I mean that, if you're concerned that your host doesn't have your best interests at heart, then your friend who is also his friend may in a position to balance that part of the equation more in your favor.
-@abthree

Thank you. That was something I had in mind too at some point, however then I forgot about it.

In the meantime, I came to realize that my position is a lot better than I thought (and was led to believe). Both car owners walked away from the incident (I can hardly call it a crash, it was so minor), agreeing that it had been between them. I was to be out of the picture (that was because I had no documents on me, so I really wanted to avoid the police showing up. Btw that fear was largely unfounded. I spoke with a Brazilian today, and he told me  that as a tourist, the procedure would be that they come to your hotel and verify your documents there. Apparently no biggie, unless you claim that you left them too far away to go get them ).

Either way, both car owners know very little about me, apart maybe my name (I think that shows up in WhatsApp) and my nationality). I will agree to pay more if the repairs actually cost more, but unless the car owner agrees to go to a garage of my choice to get a real quote, I don't think I have to do anything.

The current state is that they try to “extort” (quotes may be unnecessary) 3k Réais from me, however a number of Brazilians have now told me this was ridiculous, and that the sum (800) that I already paid would largely cover the damage.

i should be getting judicial assistance tomorrow, however I'm not sure if my insurance accepts my case. So in the meantime, I wanted to see if anyone has ever had to deal with a traffic situation, and how did you handle it?

02/09/23  Sounds like you have it in hand, Kurt.  Please let us know how it turns out.  Fingers crossed.  🤞🏻