Egg prices in the USA ???

I went on line and found  looked at egg prices in Walmart. I saw 36 eggs for $20 to $33 dollars free range. I am laughing now I get 30 egg for $4.89. They are free range why because I am in Brazil. Also just saw they are saying certain feed is causing Chicken in the US to stop laying eggs. What are  your thoughts so grateful to be here in Brazil.

@NewBrazil,

U$18/dozen (East side Manhattan, NYC, Jan26) ¹

Your U$4.89 works out to about R$25 (for 30 eggs). Here in Paraiba I'm paying R$1/egg, bought straight from small producers in the region. Regular marketplace white eggs are about R$0.60/egg (U$1.41/dozen). Folks here think that the R$1/egg price (U$2.35/dozen) is huge, and it WAS cheaper not-so-long-ago, yet many small producers have a small margin of profit given feed costs. Many convert their operations to producing meat rather than eggs.

The regions's production is slowly converting away from small producers. I keep supporting small producers [just as I always did back in Wisconsin] because I believe it keeps family incomes (not corporate incomes)  in better shape. It makes me sad when I see how Wisconsin's dairy industry has changed leading to a lot of people leaving the industry and plenty of water quality issues (huge slurry ponds).

1980 / Wi dairy farms 45000 / Cows 1,815,000 / Milk in lbs 22,380,000,000

2021 / Wi dairy farms 6335 / Cows 1,274,000 / Milk in lbs 31,702,000,000 ²

Comparing costs USA/Brazil can be tricky. It is an extreme luxury to have a USA income in a Brazilian marketplace and while there are some Brazilians with comfy regular incomes the vast majority suffer to make ends meet.

I don't understand enough about [USA] egg production costs and the effects of avian flu causing absurdly high egg costs in the USA but we have similar issues here when we go through drought cycles and feed vanishes from the feed stores and alternative feeds cease to exist.

I am fortunate to be able to buy most of my food from small producers that I know and who produce quality products as they look to keep their families happy in the rural areas.

¹ Guardian - "$18 a dozen: how did America's eggs get absurdly expensive?"

² Sources: Wisconsin State Dairy Farmer & USDA QuickStats

My wife tell me every time she goes to the grocery store prices are higher. The only thing I see going down in price was gasoline but diesel is much higher. I remember when my wife asked why didn't we get a diesel car that when  diesel was cheaper than gasoline. That was over 3 years ago how thing have changed. Thank for your response

@NewBrazil,
U$18/dozen (East side Manhattan, NYC, Jan26) ¹

Your U$4.89 works out to about R$25 (for 30 eggs). Here in Paraiba I'm paying R$1/egg, bought straight from small producers in the region. Regular marketplace white eggs are about R$0.60/egg (U$1.41/dozen). Folks here think that the R$1/egg price (U$2.35/dozen) is huge, and it WAS cheaper not-so-long-ago, yet many small producers have a small margin of profit given feed costs. Many convert their operations to producing meat rather than eggs.

The regions's production is slowly converting away from small producers. I keep supporting small producers [just as I always did back in Wisconsin] because I believe it keeps family incomes (not corporate incomes) in better shape. It makes me sad when I see how Wisconsin's dairy industry has changed leading to a lot of people leaving the industry and plenty of water quality issues (huge slurry ponds).

1980 / Wi dairy farms 45000 / Cows 1,815,000 / Milk in lbs 22,380,000,000
2021 / Wi dairy farms 6335 / Cows 1,274,000 / Milk in lbs 31,702,000,000 ²

Comparing costs USA/Brazil can be tricky. It is an extreme luxury to have a USA income in a Brazilian marketplace and while there are some Brazilians with comfy regular incomes the vast majority suffer to make ends meet.

I don't understand enough about [USA] egg production costs and the effects of avian flu causing absurdly high egg costs in the USA but we have similar issues here when we go through drought cycles and feed vanishes from the feed stores and alternative feeds cease to exist.

I am fortunate to be able to buy most of my food from small producers that I know and who produce quality products as they look to keep their families happy in the rural areas.

¹ Guardian - "$18 a dozen: how did America's eggs get absurdly expensive?"
² Sources: Wisconsin State Dairy Farmer & USDA QuickStats
-@mberigan

Industrial Farming and rapid urbanization goes hand in hand.

Suburban Sprawl takes away Farm land, mostly displacing  longstanding  Graingers  that either sellout or simply can't make a go with large food conglomerates herd/flock flattening slim margins contracts.

Then Industrial Farming,  commoditizes staple foods, creates problems with animal health and diseases, and a large problem with disposing the waste, and it breeds Food Cartels.  In the US, it's Purdue, Tyson Foods. In Brazil is JB Foods, which is also in the US. 

And then grain feeding, no free range flock . Whatever poison they lay on the ground  for soybean production is absorbed upwards through the food chain, thanks to Bayer/Monsanto and others. Little wonder people are developing cancer.

i grew up having laying chickens in the backyard, small coop, can't do anymore.  i grow a small bunch, then sanitation gets called in  by neighbors.

Close to where i live, on a 15 minute walking distance, once a Grainger's Lot ( Granja ITO , owned by a Japanese Family ), this going back over 30 years ago.    it's now a cluster of high rise buildings and a Shopping Mall ). On Sao Paulo's East Side, by Itaquera, a lot of Japanese used to run small orchards and egg/chicken production small farms.  Some moved out to Mogi das Cruzes and Suzano.

If you had issues with your health ( baby diarrea or rejecting mother's milk ) ,then  free range goat milk would fix it.. Hard to herd them in small plots in the city anymore. Can't feed them on grain either, if you want to reap the benefits or goat fresh milk, dairy, or meat. 

What I| learned is that free range goats browse, and in doing so, with their diggestive enzymes, they can absorbe noxious weeds. Different plants, different root structures, and they are better are capturing trace minerals, something that grazing or grain feed can't.

I used to watch "A Few Acres Farms" and what he does ressonate.  Does not sell to large food conglomerates, keep it local and direct. 

Problems with Winsconsin, is the same as upstate New York. They can't get labor as they used to ( no more Mexicans or Central Americans working the parlors ), thanks to INS raids, and then they get squeezed on their margins against predatory pricing from large food conglomerates. 

I remember, in Rhode Island, you could get glass bottle milk delivery at your doorstep by two local distributors. One was Christiansen's run by a brother and sister. The other was and still Munroe Dairy ( cowhyde  trucks ).  Christiansen's a family affair, threw up the towel not long ago. The actually let you take the glass bottles on a verbal promise to return them. Their milk tasted far better than the plastic jugs you bought at the C-Store.

What i found is that they actually bought their milk, not from Vermont, but from Coop Dairy Farmers in upstate New York ( to which they openly disclosed ). 

Signs of times, I guess.

I'm in Rio now visiting my wife's family. I hear lots of people complaining about high food prices. So l don't think things are all that great here. I was in the supermarket yesterday and l saw a smallish bag of Ruffles going for 12 reais. Seemed high to me.

I went on line and found looked at egg prices in Walmart. I saw 36 eggs for $20 to $33 dollars free range. I am laughing now I get 30 egg for $4.89. They are free range why because I am in Brazil. Also just saw they are saying certain feed is causing Chicken in the US to stop laying eggs. What are your thoughts so grateful to be here in Brazil.
-@NewBrazil

American branded processed food in Brazil is expensive. You need to avoid those packaged goods.  For potato chips, you need to source local brands that you will find at candy stores or your local Chinese grocer.

Also, bear in mind, they don't recycle and refresh these packaged snacks often here. They don't have those panel vans going through isles to replace expired packages, and if you remember well, those trucks tend to be independently operated in the US.

Lays,  Cape Cod, Utz, Herr, Wise sell product through owner operators who commit to their brands, and often have their truck panels labeled as such. 

There are replacements in Brazil, but hard to spot. The Brazilian Japanse figured this out ages ago, Yoki now is owned by General Mills. 

You might find generic brands in Supermarket chains ( your private label ), but i doubt you will score the specialty ones ( Salt and Vinegar, Pepper, Kettle Cooked ).

And while at it, Root Beer is almost non existent here.