Mortgage as an expat (non permanent resident)

As an expat (no permanent resident), can I get a mortgage in Brazil?

If yes, which bank/financial institution can you recommend to help me get a loan?

I am 26 living in chapeco (Santa Caterina), employed by a brazilian employer and have a temporary visa.

I would like to buy an apartment and can only put down 20% of the purchase price. The mortgage term needs to be only 3 years.

I am curious to hear your advice and experiences.

hello!!

i don't think you can expect any loan with a temporary visa... anyway, the interests are so high, that it is not worth it...

better try to do a loan in your country?

cheers!

@thomas1996

If you are going on a short term note, 3 years, as you mentioned, then forget going through banks for a mortgage, unless you are shopping for rates.   

Yes you can get approved for a mortgage, granted you have legal residency and a stable and verifiable source of income.  Moreover, you might need to be a bank account holder.  Without that, not having a revolving checking account and some track record with the branch manager, odds are stacked against you. 

What you can do, is to seek out your dream home, and then see that you can get direct financing from the seller.  That being said, private sellers might not warm to this proposal, this going to resonate better with Developers ( aka Builders ) with unsold inventory to burn.  Since you might not know who they are, it is a case by case , depending on developer, project, in terms of getting what you want.

Also Developer's new projects are not my favorites when it comes to decent build quality ( Standards for most part have fallen down ). 

In a perfect world, you would get the deal for an old apartment or house and pretend to be Norman Abraham ( PBS "This Olde House" ), and go about making it your home sweet home. 

Going through direct finance also means paying a little more for juice, but since this is a short shot, you won't be as hurt as much. 

I go back to when I actually worked for a Bank Branch, and quoted a mortgage rate, this when APRs where about 8%.  On a 30 year note, the amount paid , interest and principal, would allow you to buy 3 homes at present cash value.   Suffice to say I did not last on that gig, and moved onto more interesting endeavors ( not to mention commercial banking had become a boring pink ghetto ). 

If you are going the Commercial Bank Route, there is CAIXA ( subsidized rates ), and SICOB or SICOOB ( A Coop Bank from Parana ). The rest of them, unless you have a standing relationship, are borderline shysters, 

@sprealestatebroker Excellent advice as always

11/07/22 @thomas1996  If  you're in Brazil on a legal Employment Visa (VITEM-V, with a contract approved by the Ministry of Labor), you could ask  your employer whether there'd be any possibility of working out financing through their banking relationships. 

Otherwise, the situation is as sprealestatebroker and Michel Duce describe it:  no bank financing without permanent residence, a verifiable source of income, and probably an existing banking relationship, too.