My name is Laurie. I'm a psychologist from the United States. My husband (Jefferson) and I are moving to the Oslo area in Jan-Feb 2017. He is a PhD-level Linguist who recently accepted a 3-year research position at the University of Oslo.
I do not have formal experience as an au pair, per se. However, I have over 15 years experience working with children and families. I have the essential skills and believe that I would truly enjoy this type of work. I have expertise in child/adolescent psychology and have worked extensively with people in all age groups (from early childhood to geriatrics). I have six nieces and nephews (ages 4-15), with whom I am extremely close and will miss deeply after moving overseas! I would welcome the opportunity to get to know other families and help care for children in Norway.
Prior relevant experience includes:
- Doctorate in clinical psychology (specializing in children/adolescents/families)
- 10 years experience as educator and healthcare provider in university and hospital settings
- 5 years experience as dance instructor for youth
- Experience developing and implementing mindfulness-based interventions in school settings
- Edited book on using acceptance- and mindfulness-based treatments with children and adolescents (published by New Harbinger in 2008)
- Expertise in child behavior problems, behavioral parent training, and parent-child interaction therapy
- 15 years experience as fun-loving and committed Auntie for my six wonderful nieces & nephews!!
Ideally, I would like to work part-time (15-30 hours/week), though this is negotiable. I prefer live-in if this could include my husband (who, by the way, is a wonderful uncle and absolutely brilliant with children of all ages!!). My husband was a school teacher for 10 years and recently completed a doctorate in Liguistics. He will be working full-time as a researcher at the University.
I have a valid driver's license in the US and plan to drive in Norway. I am happy to help out with childcare (including schoolwork and enrichment activities), laundry, light housework, cooking, and errands. I am open-minded and willing to negotiate a mutually workable agreement with the right family.
Help the other expats by sharing useful information in the expat guide