Close

Any American Nurses out there?

I am an American educated Registered Nurse now living in Norway. I am trying to get my 4 year bachelor's in nursing and American nursing license recognized by SAFH, and am encountering difficulties.

Has anyone been through this process? American or otherwise?

The initial response was that I was lacking training in several clinical areas, despite having worked as a nurse for 7 years and as a midwife for 6 more!

Any help would be great.

Hello,

I know this is an old thread but I was hoping to be able to get some info on how likely it is that I will get autorisasjon as an RN in Norway (BSN from the US)

Thanks so much!

it can be quite difficult. Look up some of the articles on Emily Bratt Stange. She's a nurse/midwife from the US who fought for years to get authorization here.

here are some article links- you'll need google translate for most, probably

https://www.facebook.com/StottegruppeForEmilyStange/

Hi,
I was the one who started this thread originally, and who the person below referenced. I did eventually get authorization, but it took 5 years. I'd be happy to answer questions you might have.

The short answer is, you might be able to get authorization if you have a bachelor's degree in nursing. If it is an associate's degree, then there is no chance. If you have an accelerated degree, there is no chance. You will in all likelihood have to repeat very basic clinicals--6-8 weeks each of geriatrics, home health care and psychiatry are very common requirements for any nurse educated outside of the EU--especially the US and Australia.

The rules will change in 2017, whereupon you will have to take a nursing exam (that even the Norwegian nurses don't take), as well as the required month long class on Norwegian health care.

Again, I'd be happy to answer other questions you might have.

Expatriate health insurance in Oslo

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Oslo

Moving to Oslo

Find tips from professionals about moving to Oslo

Travel insurance in Oslo

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Oslo

Flights to Oslo

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Oslo