Wishing to live in the USA ? Find useful info in the expat guide
Free download
View all destinations Change destination

Jobs and internships in Washington


Do you dream of living and working in Washington? This article will explain the procedures find a job or a training program. 

To find a job in Washington, you must first determine what type of visa suits you best. In fact, you can use the immigrant visa also known as the Green Card or H1-B or J-1 visas which are working visas. If you plan to work, invest and do business in Washington, you can use either the E-1 or the E-2 visas.

  Useful links:

US Department of States

US Citizenship and Immigation Services

Work Visas

Before applying for a job in Washington, you must apply for a work visa. If you are not yet in the United States, you must go to the US embassy or consulate of your region to apply for H1-B if you are a skilled worker with experience or diploma. Note that the best way to get a work permit is to study in Washington.

There are also other visas for less skilled workers in certain occupations such as workers or teachers. To be hired by an American company, the company that wants to work with you must prove to the state Department of Labor that the expertise and skills required for this job are not available locally.

Once your work visa obtained, you will be delivered a work permit and residence that allows you to stay in Washington for a period of six years. Once expired, depending on your permit and circumstances, you can apply for an extension or Green Card.

Find a job

You can find job listings on the Internet and in local newspapers. You can also go through a recruitment agency which will find you a job that matches your profile. Recruiting sectors in Washington are IT, finance and hospitality. Here are some useful links:

Washington Post

Snag A Job

Do an internship

To do an internship in Washington, you will need a visa period or a visa type D-1. The visa for a maximum period of eighteen months is for people who want to find a summer job or do an internship in an American company. To qualify, you must contact a sponsor recognized by the authorities. Please find below a list of some organizations that assist students who wish to do an internship in the United States.

  Useful links:
American Institute for foreign study

Espace International Emploi

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.
Recommend Your favourite team
Member since 01 June 2008
Small earth, Mauritius
Write a comment

See also

How can I create a business in the United States? Can I get some help to open my business in the U.S? Is it possible to work freelance in the United States?
To find a job in Chicago, you need to apply for a work visa, that is the H1-B type visa. Different types of visas apply to different categories of workers. You need to determine to which category you belong before making an application.
To do an internship in California, you need a sponsor which will fill out the necessary procedures regarding the visa requirements. You can go through a recruitment agency or search on the Internet.

Would you like to live in the USA?

Find useful information in our expatriate guide.

Expatriate health insurance in the USA

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in the USA

Moving to the USA

Find tips from professionals about moving to the USA

Travel insurance in the USA

Enjoy stress-free travel to the USA