Absurdity of Looking for Work in the Philippines

I acquired my spousal visa in the Philippines a couple of months ago and started looking for work. Since I'm not Filipino, I knew it would be difficult.

First you have to deal with the fact that several companies flat out refuse to hire anybody who isn't Filipino and don't care if you have the right to work in the country.

Once you have filtered those companies out, you have to deal with several employers who assume that you won't be OK with the wages they are offering (even though you wouldn't have applied for it if this was an issue...)

This was all stuff I was expecting, but I've been rejected for several jobs for utterly absurd reasons.

The most common reasons have been as follows:

1. They don't consider being British and having lived and worked in the UK for 30 years as proof that I can speak English. My English qualifications also mean absolutely nothing to them.

Several HR teams have expressed concern that, because I haven't worked in a call centre in the Philippines, I may not speak English well enough to be able to hold down a job in an English language environment. I've been told that I need to go and work for a BPO company for at least a year before they are willing to accept that my English is good enough to work for them.

I assume the issue here is that, because this is how they would gauge a Filipino applicant's English skills, they don't know how to deviate from their script/requirements when a native English speaker applies for a job with them.

2. The HR team speak poor English, but are absolutely convinced that they speak English at a native level. Even though they know English is my native language, the possibility that their English could be wrong doesn't even dawn on them. It HAS to be mine that is incorrect and I must be an idiot if I can't even speak my native language.

The worst two examples I have for this are:

a) I was asked to read a couple of paragraphs. One of the paragraphs contained a grammatical error that was something like 'I need you to provide me with more detail information'. When I read this I changed 'detail' to 'detailed'.

Afterwards, they told me that I had mispronounced 'detail'. I pointed out that they had made a grammatical error and that 'detailed' was correct. They told me that I was wrong and suggested that I took an English course to improve my language skills.

b) I came across a job advertisement for a role in a field I have five years of experience in. They only required a minimum of two years experience for the role. They were also specifically requesting a native English speaker. I thought I was a shoo-in as the field is fairly niche and they needed an expat who was currently seeking work within the Philippines.

All of the responsibilities they had listed for the role were already mentioned in my CV, as were the skills (apart from showing up to work on time which I wouldn't consider to be a skill...). If you wanted to tailor your CV to match a position you were applying for, you couldn't have done much better than submitting the CV I already had.

I was rejected within minutes of applying for the position. They told me that my CV didn't meet the requirements for the role.

Bewildered, I reached out to the company, via their American website, asking if they could provide me with more information as to why they didn't feel that I was a suitable candidate. I thought that perhaps, because my CV was too perfect, they had assumed that I had built a CV off of their advertisement, then submitted it as a fake application. So I attached evidence that my CV had been that way for over a month and that I really had done the job listed in my CV.

Of course the American company outsourced their own customer support to their Philippines-based company. Somebody got back to me in horrifically bad English, telling me to check out their job portal if I was interested in applying for a job with them. She obviously hadn't understood the message I had sent either...

So problem identified. Their HR team have hired somebody who can't speak or understand English. The only way this person would have been given the job is if the company's HR team can't speak English either.

3. I will pass the first stage of the application process, then they will ask me to sit a few tests from home to measure my English language skills. When I score 100% on their tests, they assume that I must have cheated and reject my application.

I've managed to land several interviews, but it seems that the only way to get hired in this country is to purposely speak English incorrectly by attempting to match the language skills of the person interviewing you. I've yet to be interviewed by a Filipino who speaks fluent English and they're never willing to accept that there is any possibility that it could be their English that is faulty rather than mine.

I'm assuming that everybody else has experienced the same issues when applying for jobs here?

Does anybody have any tips on how to avoid these ridiculous situations?
@drjs

I'd just take an English certification, if it's turning out to be a hassle.

Personally I've not encountered too many problems, except for the correcting of my English, which always cracks me up.

I normally reply with a *very* quiet (allowing them to maintain their dignity is absolutely essential) “Actually I'm a native English Teacher of advanced business English, I'd be happy to give some pointers for free, if you like?”
Omo
'kickbacks' : Many in Supervisory level roles would require that : a stable revenue stream (only certain members would 'fit' into that circle)... being pretty/sexy would help too.

"the possibility that their English could be wrong doesn't even dawn on them. It HAS to be mine that is incorrect and I must be an idiot if I can't even speak my native language"

Hahaha.....that's exactly why guys like you should karoke much more.

1f600.svg
@drjs

Hi there.
first off, i just want to express my empathy for your troubles and hardship in finding employment. what you have expressed is very peculiar, and though i well understand from hearing of the experiencdss of other foreigners and their seeking of a job here, never have i heard of indepth challenges as youve so detailed.

can i ask you about your professional background and the type of work youre actually looking for ?

when i first came to the philippines and settled here in 2014, it took me 4 months to land a suitable role that paid 'ok enough' to help contribute to the lifesyle and expenses of my partner and i. prior to that, i was fortunate to land a couple of short-term copywriting and marketing roles for 2  digital agencies.one based in  singapore and the other in the US. i earned 500 USD a month. each.

not bad.  but i hustled like a motherf*cker up until i landed those 2.

my advice:
LinkedIn:
if  you're not on LinkedIn, i highly suggest you get on it. create a profile, and connect with as many recruiters and hr persons you can.  research any BPO you are wanting to work for and follow their LinkedIn pages. they will have a jobs section where they regularly share open positions.  those positions posted will usually have info on the HR person responsible for publishing or sharing said roles available. dont just apply to the role, but reach out to that person, connect with them, and ask if you can send your CV directly to them. this is an amazing hack that bypasses the usual application filtering process to get your CV looked at by an actual person. and since youve already built a bit of rapport with them, it is likely your CV will be the first they look at favorably.

Facebook:
i am sure youre on Facebook. if you are,  there are plenty of groups for virtual assistance jobs, and groups for jobs for startups. peope in these groups post roles for US companies of all sorts of sizes looking to hire people to do admin work, and small time marketing roles that are relatively easy to do, and therefore easy to land since your a natve english speaking person. join those groups, introduce yourself, and again, connect with any HR persons looking to fill those roles.

Craigslist:
believe it or not, this is actully where i found the 2 copywriting/marketing jobs i mentioned earlier. 

Craigslist is still a viable place to find short term roles of all kinds. US/Aussie/Singaporean companies of all kinds use this platform to find pinoys eager to work these positions for a couple hundred dollars a month. because you're an english speaking native, you'll be looked on favorably. i wish i had though of Craigslists the first week i first settled here and not a month or two later,  because i was interviewed and literally landed both those 2 jobs within a couple of weeks of first applying for them.

these types of roles may only pay a couple hundred dollars a month, but depending on your pitch to them and what  theyre looking for, if you can land 2-3 part-time roles making just a few hundred dollars a month, you're winning.

be clear and realistic how much you must earn to live and to support yourself and your spouse. at the beginning, accept the fact that youre going to have to live frugally for a while. you dont have much of a choice, if you intend to help put food on the table.

dont be afraid to take the small time roles that pay only a couple of thousand pesos a week, if you are offered a gig. take it.  at least its something.

and last but most importantly:
NETWORK.

it is a must and will be highly beneficial to build a network of connections that  might have a job or know of someone who has a open job somewhere.  if any job comes your way and is offered, take it. its a means to an end, and you can still look for something better in the meantime.

i hope this helps!

cheers. 
@drjs
There is patent discrimination here in the Philippines not only in the job market a trivial example is Leylam's discount policy for senior citizens, which applies only to Philippine citizens. The policy is posted on each of their outlets.  Neither I nor my family will purchase from Leylam.

UK left the EU for many (IMHO Ill advised) reasons, one of those reasons was so that we could better control immigration. Perhaps UK should look at the level of discrimination of its citizens and reciprocate accordingly. But then we would contribute to a shortage of key skills.

@drjs I have no tips at all!, but I would like to point out, based on your post, that your English is impeccable.  Your grammatics are excellent and if these idiots here can't recognize it, I don't know what to tell you.  I will also state that I agree.  I haven't met one Filipino that speaks proper fluent English.  It seems that even the ones who speak well have problems with past and present tense and also he and she context, since he and she are both siya in their language.  One last thing, why would you want to work here?  The wages are ridiculous, it's almost like indentured servitude.  You must have your reasons!  Anyway, later alligator!

Blood is thicker than water . . . .In most cases HR will hire a national over a foreign national.

Unless

The foreign national will work cheaper than the national.

(1) New trend in the states is hire INTERNS and pay them nothing.
(2) Hire contract workers  through an agency so they have no benefits or are considered employees.
(3) Hire part time employees so you don't pay them benefits.
(4) Be like Silicon Valley, hire foreign 'IT' nationals to replace higher paid nationals.
(5) Best of all have your nationals train the foreign nationals then fire them.

@drjs 
Logic thinking isnt a strength among most Filipinos    :)    (I blame the church, which sabotage logic thinking...)

At least before Trump scared call centers by saying he will take home jobs to USA, I dont know now, call centers HAVE employed several foreigners with English as first language to teach Filipinos ACCENTS their customers are from. (Often American.) PERHAPS they dont want UK accent by that.

NEVER expect (malay) Filipinos* will admit they were wrong :) even when its obvious and even if they know they are wrong, because they are very affraid of losing face.  They dont even ask when needed, nor tell when they dont understand something important, because they count asking as losing face!!!  And its common too they dont want to follow instructions specialy from foreigners even when they have no clue how to do, many make an own crap "solution" screwing up big by a crazt "lose face" thingy too and I guess they feel inferior if needing to follow instructions. They prefer to lose face much more by screwing up!!! or they didnt think ahead, which isnt a Filipino strength neither...

*Thats why avoid - most - malay Filipinos, and cooperate with tribe Filipinos because they both follow instructions and ask when they dont understand. And they say "Thank you" for opportunities, while if malay Filipinos say thank you at all they thank GOD instead of the giver... (In all years I have seen only THREE positive exceptions concerning malay Filipinos.)

I wouldnt even think of trying to get employment in Phils,
instead I think the solution is to start own business (if having skill for it) 
OR work at DISTANCE for a company in a "western" country to get "western" salary.
@drjs

Hi there.
first off, i just want to express my empathy for your troubles and hardship in finding employment. what you have expressed is very peculiar, and though i well understand from hearing of the experiencdss of other foreigners and their seeking of a job here, never have i heard of indepth challenges as youve so detailed.

can i ask you about your professional background and the type of work youre actually looking for   <SNIP>
cheers. 
- @kristopherryanwatson

Excellent and helpful reply @kristopherryanwatson

@pnwcyclist

thank you kindly!

glad to share some advice from my own experience.
Personally I've not encountered too many problems, except for the correcting of my English, which always cracks me up.
- @Oursus

I get this so often that I don't even bother responding when they correct me now. I had to say 'grind' a few times a couple of months ago. The Filipino was adamant that it was pronounced the same way as 'grinned' and he wanted me to pronounce it that way too. Of course, I wasn't going to purposely mispronounce a word just to please him and he became infuriated with me pronouncing the word correctly every time I needed to say it.
can i ask you about your professional background and the type of work youre actually looking for ?
It's niche enough that I could be identified from that alone, so I would prefer not to say. I actually have two CVs. If I'm applying for a role in my field, I mention my PhD. The other purposely omits it as I know that having a PhD (especially in an irrelevant field) will see my application dismissed immediately.

I'm at the point where I'm looking for ANY kind of job here. Preferably one that pays at least 25,000 a month.
Craigslist is still a viable place to find short term roles of all kinds. US/Aussie/Singaporean companies of all kinds use this platform to find pinoys eager to work these positions for a couple hundred dollars a month. because you're an english speaking native, you'll be looked on favorably. i wish i had though of Craigslists the first week i first settled here and not a month or two later,  because i was interviewed and literally landed both those 2 jobs within a couple of weeks of first applying for them.
- @kristopherryanwatson
I assume that's Manila Jobs on craigslist? There's not too much there other than a teaching role at the moment, but thanks. I hadn't considered using that website. Hopefully some more will show up throughout the week.

I few jobs related to my PhD actually showed up recently. One of these was posted by a British company who are outsourcing work here. I thought that I was going to get this one as I aced interviews with two Brits to reach the third interview. Unfortunately the third interview was with the Philippines-based HR team. As usual, the guy interviewing me didn't speak fluent English (although he definitely spoke better English than any other Filipino who has interviewed me). He also knew absolutely nothing about the field and, whenever I responded to his questions using technical terms, he had no idea what I was talking about. I had to dumb my responses down considerably in order for him to understand and, even then, he still struggled to comprehend what I was talking about. I think it's safe to say that I won't be getting that one...

I've heard nothing back at all from the other jobs related to my PhD that I applied for. As they're Filipino companies, I doubt they will want to hire a foreigner.
@drjs

Hi, and good morning. It is nice to hear from you.

Yes, both those 2 jobs i landed at the time were found by searching on Manila's Craigslist page.
I first arrived here in August of 2014 and by the November i was working.

As i previously mentioned, I was successfully able to land both jobs with a negotiated a salary of $500 a month each no matter how much work i did or how many hours i committed.

One company was a small marketing agency based in Singapore, another in Sydney.

If you peg the US dollar at $1 = 45 pesos at that time (Q4 of 2014), it is clearly not a huge salary to live extravagantly by western standards, but i was earning enough to live comfortably and contribute to expenses, bills, and nice things my partner and I wanted just in time for Christmas. she herself was an executive at a well-known banking institution.

for both roles, the responsibilities comprised of doing copywriting for their websites, doing sales letter pitches for prospects, rewriting client copy for their own websites and additional marketing collateral, and doing Google/FB Ad campaigns for said clients of both.

I held onto those roles until March of 2015 when then a role of a lifetime was offered to me. things just generously snowballed in my favor since then.

- @Oursus

I get this so often that I don't even bother responding when they correct me now. I had to say 'grind' a few times a couple of months ago. The Filipino was adamant that it was pronounced the same way as 'grinned' and he wanted me to pronounce it that way too. Of course, I wasn't going to purposely mispronounce a word just to please him and he became infuriated with me pronouncing the word correctly every time I needed to say it.
It's niche enough that I could be identified from that alone, so I would prefer not to say. I actually have two CVs. If I'm applying for a role in my field, I mention my PhD. The other purposely omits it as I know that having a PhD (especially in an irrelevant field) will see my application dismissed immediately.

I'm at the point where I'm looking for ANY kind of job here. Preferably one that pays at least 25,000 a month.
- @kristopherryanwatson
I assume that's Manila Jobs on craigslist? There's not too much there other than a teaching role at the moment, but thanks. I hadn't considered using that website. Hopefully some more will show up throughout the week.

I few jobs related to my PhD actually showed up recently. One of these was posted by a British company who are outsourcing work here. I thought that I was going to get this one as I aced interviews with two Brits to reach the third interview. Unfortunately the third interview was with the Philippines-based HR team. As usual, the guy interviewing me didn't speak fluent English (although he definitely spoke better English than any other Filipino who has interviewed me). He also knew absolutely nothing about the field and, whenever I responded to his questions using technical terms, he had no idea what I was talking about. I had to dumb my responses down considerably in order for him to understand and, even then, he still struggled to comprehend what I was talking about. I think it's safe to say that I won't be getting that one...

I've heard nothing back at all from the other jobs related to my PhD that I applied for. As they're Filipino companies, I doubt they will want to hire a foreigner.
- @drjs

By the way, this is really unfortunate to hear and I admit i had run into this occasionally at first too....totally acing the first and second interview, only to be shut down by the third because some Pinoy has an entitled chip on their shoulder preventing them form giving you a chance.
Its really unfortunate and discouraging. I  am sorry that happened and it is unfair.

my advice is to just keep plowing forward, learn from experience, and do not ever give up.
Craigslist
There are databases where jobs are shown and at least some let you register so possible employers can find you in them too.
Dole have one, and there are a bunch of others online, which I dont remember the names of, but you can find them by google (as I did many years ago.)
`
Hey folks imho, for jobs in the Philippines, this is job central :--

2b50.svg2b50.svg2b50.svg
By the way, this is really unfortunate to hear and I admit i had run into this occasionally at first too....totally acing the first and second interview, only to be shut down by the third because some Pinoy has an entitled chip on their shoulder preventing them form giving you a chance.
Its really unfortunate and discouraging. I  am sorry that happened and it is unfair.
my advice is to just keep plowing forward, learn from experience, and do not ever give up.
- @kristopherryanwatson

That's actually a perfect description of the first interview I ever had here. When I first moved here five years ago, I didn't have a spousal visa, so companies would have had to sponsor me. Of course, this meant that things were even harder than they are now.

I applied for a job as an office-based ESL teacher. The company wasted my time for about four hours as there were about 50 other applicants applying for the same position. I'd spoken to several other members of their HR department while I was waiting. The second I stepped into the interview room, they told me that they didn't hire foreigners. Why didn't anybody tell me this in the four hours I was waiting for my interview?

However, instead of sending me home, they told me that they had another role for me. I can't remember exactly what it was, but it had something to do with reviewing their teaching material and ensuring that their English was correct. I aced the first two interviews. In fact, the second went so well that I was told that the third and final interview was merely a formality as she was sure that the job was mine.

I knew that this wasn't going to be the case the moment the head of their HR department stepped into the room. He immediately looked down his nose at me. Unlike the others, his English was terrible. He struggled to understand anything I was saying during the interview and he was visibly annoyed to be interviewing me the entire time he was there.

I knew I hadn't got the job at that point. The company decided to waste more of my time though as they had me sit around for an hour waiting for the head of HR to get back to me. He ended up sending the woman who had previously told me that the job was mine. She told me that they wouldn't be hiring me, but couldn't understand why. She asked me if something had happened during my final interview, so I told her that he had made it clear that he didn't want to hire me the moment he saw me.
@drjs

If you have a postgraduate degree (Masters or PhD) then you might qualify for a UN job. (They usually want two UN languages as well, but not always). I worked for the UN for two years just as a native English speaker only, employed based on a BSc and 5 years+ previous experience. UN or other international NGO's offer really good packages and salaries (if employed as "International" grade), but not UNV or volunteer. "National" grades pays a lot less but it is an acceptable salary for the Philippines cost of living.

This is their official website. Just search the Philippines City nearest you. best of luck.

I knew that this wasn't going to be the case the moment the head of their HR department stepped into the room. He immediately looked down his nose at me. Unlike the others, his English was terrible. He struggled to understand anything I was saying during the interview and he was visibly annoyed to be interviewing me the entire time he was there.
- @drjs
PERHAPS he dislike foreigners in general
and SURE he didnt like to be reminded of his terrible English by listening to your English   :)

I noticed you didnt want to tell your education of same easy identification reason I dont tell some things I have done,
but cant your knowledge be used to start an own business/work through internet?

Facebook Groups are also a well of possible opportunities.

I am sure they're low-level for you, given your academic achievements, but you never know what you might  stumble upon.  besides, there is no harm networking and getting your name out to those groups. someone might drop your name to someone in need of someone such as yourself..

You can search for these Groups:

Startup Jobs Ph
Philippines Virtual Assistance Club
Virtual Assistant Ph
South Asian English Copywriters Network

If you have a postgraduate degree (Masters or PhD) then you might qualify for a UN job. (They usually want two UN languages as well, but not always). I worked for the UN for two years just as a native English speaker only, employed based on a BSc and 5 years+ previous experience. UN or other international NGO's offer really good packages and salaries (if employed as "International" grade), but not UNV or volunteer. "National" grades pays a lot less but it is an acceptable salary for the Philippines cost of living.
This is their official website. Just search the Philippines City nearest you. best of luck.
[link under review]
- @gsturdee

Thanks. I can't see anything suitable there at the moment, but it's definitely a website I will be checking on a daily basis.

Facebook Groups are also a well of possible opportunities.
I am sure they're low-level for you, given your academic achievements, but you never know what you might  stumble upon.  besides, there is no harm networking and getting your name out to those groups. someone might drop your name to someone in need of someone such as yourself..
You can search for these Groups:
Startup Jobs Ph
Philippines Virtual Assistance Club
Virtual Assistant Ph
South Asian English Copywriters Network
- @kristopherryanwatson

Massive thanks. I found a couple of jobs I could apply for on those. I should be a shoo-in for one of them but, based on my experience here so far, I'm not expecting anything.

Does anybody know if it's possible to start a fully remote job in the UK while I am based in the Philippines? I don't know much about the law in this area, but I think it should be possible.

I've had no luck getting a fully remote job in the UK though. I've received numerous job offers, but the employer pulls out as soon as they realise I'm in the Philippines.

It's also really difficult to find jobs in the UK that truly are fully remote in the first place. Most of the ones that say they are either require you to start training at their office, or need you to go to the office once or twice a week/month.
@drjs

You're very welcome.

Question for you: How do you mean "if it's possible to start a fully remote job in the UK.."  while you're here in the Phils ? :)

Just wondering if you could clarify on this before I respond accordingly best that i can.

@drjs

You're very welcome.
I was offered an interview for the one I thought I would be a shoo-in for immediately, so thanks again.

Things are definitely looking up recently. I'm also confident that I will be offered two of the jobs I applied for in the past two weeks. One of these is essentially my previous job but with fewer responsibilities and it will be up to a Brit whether or not I am hired.

The other is somewhat connected to my PhD, albeit rather loosely. It's a role I have never really done before, but the company seems convinced that I will be able to do the job well. It's also Americans doing the hiring.

Things definitely go much better when I'm not being interviewed by Filipinos.

Question for you: How do you mean "if it's possible to start a fully remote job in the UK.."  while you're here in the Phils ? smile.png

Just wondering if you could clarify on this before I respond accordingly best that i can.

- @kristopherryanwatson

Yes, that's what I'm asking. My understanding is that, as I have been in the Philippines for five years, I will be taxed here. It sounds as though it will be entirely my responsibility to collect the forms, fill them out and submit them. I won't be taxed in the UK, as I'm not working from the UK and I have been abroad for too long. At least this is what BIR told me.

I have no idea what the UK's stance on this issue would be.
I was offered an interview for the one I thought I would be a shoo-in for immediately, so thanks again.

That turned out to be one of the most ridiculous interviews I have ever had.

First she was late for the interview. When I contacted her to ask her what time she would be available, she told me that she had forgotten about the interview (at least she was honest?).

She then accidentally ended the call as soon as I accepted it. She told me that she wasn't used to using Skype.

The first question she asked was if I had applied for any jobs with any companies other than theirs. Of course I had. Why would I have only applied for one job? When I told her that I had applied for other jobs, she asked me what the status of these was. I informed her that I had already had interviews for a few of these and also had a few more interviews coming up.

I figured she was asking this to try to glean whether or not I was serious about trying to find a job and if other companies were interested in hiring me (after all, why should they hire me if nobody else is interested?). Apparently not. She told me that her company didn't allow any applicants to have any pending applications with anybody else. I have never known any other company to operate in this way. She even told me that I would have to withdraw all of my applications with the other companies in order to progress with the interview. I lied to her and told her that I would withdraw all of my other applications as soon as the interview was over. I can't believe that she even asked me to do this in the first place.

None of the usual questions you would expect to be asked about in an interview came up. She would have already had the answers to most of them if she had bothered to read my CV. None of them were open-ended questions and every single question could have been answered with a single word. As it got towards the end and I realised that the questions weren't going to improve, I started shoehorning previous experiences into all of my answers to try to convince her that I could do the job. After all, she needed to know that I have experience in the field. If I hadn't mentioned any of this, she wouldn't have known as she clearly hadn't read my CV. I'm not surprised as yesterday she sent me a string of questions in response to my initial e-mail, all of which she would have already had the answers to if she had read my email beyond the subject.

Eventually she started to ask me to rate myself out of 10 in various areas. I thought it was strange that she chose to do this for five different things. Especially when one of the things she asked me to rate myself out of 10 in was not one of the job responsibilities, but something a client you are providing the service for would do. I tried to explain this to her, but she had no idea what I was talking about.

It was pretty clear that she knew absolutely nothing about the role she was advertising. I think it's safe to say that I won't be getting this one.
@drjs

Oh wow.  This is just absolutely absurd. what a waste of your time, effort, and optimism.
i'm so sorry to hear of this outcome of your interview.

But it isn't unlike anything i have experienced to some degree...

I work in the marketing and advertising sector. This is an industry that has been inherently competitive among rival agencies for decades, especially here in Manila where the community is quite small; many of the top executives from well established agencies know each other.  I have taken interviews for quite a few agencies over the years even when i have been gainfully employed elsewhere or doing something else generating my incomes. 

Usually this was just for my own entertainment or for their benefit just so they can tell their manager that yes, they did interview that handsome Canadian man for the role, even though he wasn't too interested. 

Most often than not, the interviewer, typically an HR personnel with less than a few years experience, has asked me if I have applied to other Agencies/Companies. on the very rare occasion, they have asked me the names of those companies (this has perhaps maybe only happened twice), i have told them that i would prefer not to say, and they have respected that. End of questions on that regard. Not ever did they instruct me that i would need to withdraw my application from any other pending roles elsewhere (even though there weren't in actuality).

I find your situation with the woman who interviewed you to be incredibly intrusive and unprofessional.
she has not right to ask/tell you to do that, and as a matter of fact, i wonder if that might even be illegal.

that woman, with all of her failings to lead the interview properly (unfamiliar with Skype?  who the hell isn't familiar with using Skype at least once in their life?) should be fired.

Anyway, please keep your head up and keep going. it looks like you've had a slight good break in the last day or so.
just keep being vigilant to apply to whatever roles land in front of you.  you got this.

.Does anybody know if it's possible to start a fully remote job in the UK while I am based in the Philippines? I don't know much about the law in this area, but I think it should be possible.
I've had no luck getting a fully remote job in the UK though. I've received numerous job offers, but the employer pulls out as soon as they realise I'm in the Philippines.
It's also really difficult to find jobs in the UK that truly are fully remote in the first place. Most of the ones that say they are either require you to start training at their office, or need you to go to the office once or twice a week/month.- @drjs
Well. Thats common for EMPLOYMENTS,
BUT I have worked from my home almost all the time since 1978 - so long before most even thought of such excist   :)  - by geting ASSIGNMENTS from businesses to my OWN BUSINESS.  Its much easier for clients to pay your invoice than having you as enployee specialy for small businesses.

(E g I have done from home:
/acounting and tax forms.
/other administration.
/business consultings solving their problems and/or improving their results for small or no investments needed, so only cost them my mostly only a percentage of their improved result.
/Making print originals.
/website production and content. (I were in front line in website coding back when internet was young and there were no automatic website production programs. By not bothered to continue improving my knowledge in that, I am among bottom of such now  1f923.svg   so when I need such nowadays, I hire someone to do most of it. I switched when it became to much to be worth the time to update and keep fresh to be worth it by I many different types of work.
/software production. E g I did lead a software developing for a client where others made the coding but I made sure the parts would suit to each other.
/writing. Inspite of the ignorants, who have complained much about my spelling and grammar when its NOT IMPORTANT  :D  I HAVE bothered about such when it IS important and had a steady assignment for a rather big newspaper in almost 20 years (until they had to startt savbing by internet competition so they skiped all not full timers. ( have been paid e g for 200+ articles about as different subjects as sports and psycholopgy...
/not assignment, but I have earned rather much at the "western" stock market - until  I SKIPED when it started to become overvalued by investors not knowing what they are doing, they ONLY decide based at TA - or even worse just using a TA based "automatic program" which they have no clue how it functions!!!  ( I know how they function so I know how to FOOL TA to make buy or sell signals  :)  I did it sometimes back when I still invested in "western" stocks 10+ years ago so IF it was illegal the prosecution time have passed now anyway  :)     Then I changed my focus to SE Asia where the potential is much better.  (Phils have a stupid law not allowing knowledge from foreigners dominating in any business!!! So it took some years for me to both research which businesses are most interesting to start in Phils AND find anyone with knowledge enough to make so its enough I add a minority of the needed knowledge   :)    But now I have found one such Filipino (tribe) and we are in progess to start the second business (in same business as the first too but much different but both can be located rural.)      I can be generous but concerning business I think similar to Kamprad  (=IKEA) holding the costs down very kuripot :)   except we pay employees some more than they are used to plus all, who work good, will get a big bohnus when the businesses start earning good. Back when I had a 70 - 115 employees the total office was 6 squeremeters of my appartment, so when a client came and visited after I had done big services for them several years, he looked funny when  he saw my tiny office  1f923.svg

Perhaps you knowledge suit to be runned in your own business?
(Part owned by you, except if at least 60 % of income will come from abroad, then you can own whole IF no land owning involved.)
Eventually she started to ask me to rate myself out of 10 in various areas. I thought it was strange that she chose to do this for five different things. Especially when one of the things she asked me to rate myself out of 10 in was not one of the job responsibilities, but something a client you are providing the service for would do. I tried to explain this to her, but she had no idea what I was talking about.- @drjs
Better NOT try to explain anything to a (malay) Filipino 1f923.svg     There are exceptions of good ones, but very few such WANT to be told anything even as employees at lower level, because they see such as "lose face" by not knowing. By that most say they have understood instructions when they havent, and they find asking about things they dont know as EMBARRASSING
An ex gf found it embarrassing I asked much - but didnt say anymore after I had told her
- I know so much BECAUSE of I ask so much...  :)
(The tribe people I work with are NOT like that, thats why I chosed them.)

Until you understand this "lose face" culture and adjust to it, I believe your chance to become employed by a Filipinoi handler is microscopic...
(So see what I wrote in an other post about aiming at geting Assignments to your oiwn business, instead of employments.)

- -
Well. When I have made interviews  TO employ, I sometimes ask odd questions to see how they react   :)  to see their personality.
As one of the most successful (part?) chinese said something like
- The main importance ISNT the skill level they have, its their attitude and potential.
By such I have found some diamonds in rock shape  :)
E g a long time unemployed immigrant I gave the third most important work back when I had a big own business and he didnt just fullfiled my high demands of making top quality work, he did even better than I demanded, 
And when an other was young I employed a "bum" who got in fights often at evening outs because of his temperament, but I saw something in him so I gave him the most complicated job in my business - except my own  :)    He developed so later he got work for Swedish "Ombudsman" and have got several assignments for UN !!!
.Does anybody know if it's possible to start a fully remote job in the UK while I am based in the Philippines? I don't know much about the law in this area, but I think it should be possible.
It's also really difficult to find jobs in the UK that truly are fully remote in the first place. Most of the ones that say they are either require you to start training at their office, or need you to go to the office once or twice a week/month.- @drjs
Well. Thats common for EMPLOYMENTS,
BUT I have worked from my home almost all the time since 1978 - so long before most even thought of such excist   smile.png  - by geting ASSIGNMENTS from businesses to my OWN BUSINESS.  Its much easier for clients to pay your invoice than having you as enployee specialy for small businesses.

(E g I have done from home:
/acounting and tax forms.
/other administration.
/business consultings solving their problems and/or improving their results for small or no investments needed, so only cost them my mostly only a percentage of their improved result.
/Making print originals.
/website production and content. (I were in front line in website coding back when internet was young and there were no automatic website production programs. By not bothered to continue improving my knowledge in that, I am among bottom of such now  1f923.svg   so when I need such nowadays, I hire someone to do most of it. I switched when it became to much to be worth the time to update and keep fresh to be worth it by I many different types of work.
/software production. E g I did lead a software developing for a client where others made the coding but I made sure the parts would suit to each other.
/writing. Inspite of the ignorants, who have complained much about my spelling and grammar when its NOT IMPORTANT  big_smile.png  I HAVE bothered about such when it IS important and had a steady assignment for a rather big newspaper in almost 20 years (until they had to startt savbing by internet competition so they skiped all not full timers. ( have been paid e g for 200+ articles about as different subjects as sports and psycholopgy...
/not assignment, but I have earned rather much at the "western" stock market - until  I SKIPED when it started to become overvalued by investors not knowing what they are doing, they ONLY decide based at TA - or even worse just using a TA based "automatic program" which they have no clue how it functions!!!  ( I know how they function so I know how to FOOL TA to make buy or sell signals  smile.png  I did it sometimes back when I still invested in "western" stocks 10+ years ago so IF it was illegal the prosecution time have passed now anyway  smile.png     Then I changed my focus to SE Asia where the potential is much better.  (Phils have a stupid law not allowing knowledge from foreigners dominating in any business!!! So it took some years for me to both research which businesses are most interesting to start in Phils AND find anyone with knowledge enough to make so its enough I add a minority of the needed knowledge   smile.png    But now I have found one such Filipino (tribe) and we are in progess to start the second business (in same business as the first too but much different but both can be located rural.)      I can be generous but concerning business I think similar to Kamprad  (=IKEA) holding the costs down very kuripot smile.png   except we pay employees some more than they are used to plus all, who work good, will get a big bohnus when the businesses start earning good. Back when I had a 70 - 115 employees the total office was 6 squeremeters of my appartment, so when a client came and visited after I had done big services for them several years, he looked funny when  he saw my tiny office  1f923.svg

Perhaps you knowledge suit to be runned in your own business?
(Part owned by you, except if at least 60 % of income will come from abroad, then you can own whole IF no land owning involved.)
- @coach53

That's quite a list you have there. Have you ever considered being a simultaneous interpreter? Or perhaps translation of Nuclear Powered Station Regulatory Inspection manuals ?
That's quite a list you have there. Have you ever considered being a simultaneous interpreter? Or perhaps translation of Nuclear Powered Station Regulatory Inspection manuals ? - @Lotus Eater

(Bloody system making crap code automatic making a mess.)

Inspite of your BS insiniations I have WORKED using 4 languages  :D   ( =Swedish, English, German and Spanish  - plus a litle bit Tagalog when a Filipino have some problem with English. ) Sometimes switching fast in between, communicating with different people at same time. Although it have happened it become "Ops" I used wrong language with someone  :)
Sure excist but I have never seen anyone with English as first language showing more TOTAL language knowledge than I have... As someone told recently many Americans can only ONE language! I SUPPOUSE some less bad average for Brits by closer contact with rest of Europe, although being close to Spanish and French havent influenced average language skill among Americans...  :)
By I am against Nuclear power if  I would be writing a "manual" ii would be against  1f923.svg   or about ALTERNATIVE energies.  (I HAVE written some about alternative energy at profesional level, but that was mainly about business view of such .)
Actualy I have been involved in translation of a manual...  1f923.svg   about using of Physics equipment, but not the translation itself (from Finnish)  but with some fact knowledge to make the translation correct. 

- -
As I wrote that list was just "e g " = for instance     :)
When I did write a "CV"  including years done, then an other ignorant made the conlusion I have to be 200 years to have done all,  he didnt understand things can be done PARALLELL!!!  1f923.svg1f923.svg1f923.svg
(When I did as most parallell I had:
/two full time jobs within same business type - but by I am good at organicing I "merged" them so they become just a bit more than one
/a half time work as night portiere at a hotel, which was geting full pay to be there with almost nothing to do else than looking at satelite TV (This was back when sateklite TV was rare.) And I could do part of work belonging to the full time jobs.
/half time volontary =No pay as youth leader
/writing assignment for a newspaper.
/Handling the office for a region sport union
/Compeeted in a bunch of sports myself.
/Had a gf inspite of theese!  1f923.svg  but she was a "sportfreak" too and we compeeted together in one of the sports.

Yes, that's what I'm asking. My understanding is that, as I have been in the Philippines for five years, I will be taxed here. It sounds as though it will be entirely my responsibility to collect the forms, fill them out and submit them. I won't be taxed in the UK, as I'm not working from the UK and I have been abroad for too long. At least this is what BIR told me.

- @drjs

I think this depends on the Company and the Country from which it bases its Operations.

For example, If i may, I would like to explain my situation as it applies to you and your pursuits.

For the past year and a half, I have been working as a private Consultant. I have 3 clients that I dedicate my time for this work, and along with this, i am co-founder of a small boutique marketing agency based in BGC but i've slowly moved away from my responsibilities over the last year. my founding partner of that agency is 100% Filipino. she has an accountant/hr person that handles the taxes for both of us and our team.

For my consultant work, There is an American Company that acts as a 'broker' between myself and the clients i have. it operates in the US, but it has specific personnel that filed my required paperwork and handle my taxes for me here.  a true convenience.

I am not considered an employee by any means. this company has no regulation or control over how or when i work, and my service agreements of my commitments, deliverables, and so forth are strictly between myself and my clients. As far as everyone is concerned and how it looks on paper though, I am regarded as an Independent remote worker who is an extension of the broker in the US, who happens to pay taxes here in the Philippines. Quite clever.
My understanding is that, as I have been in the Philippines for five years, I will be taxed here. It sounds as though it will be entirely my responsibility to collect the forms, fill them out and submit them. I won't be taxed in the UK, as I'm not working from the UK and I have been abroad for too long. At least this is what BIR told me.

- @drjs
It depend of the AGREEMENT between Phils and each country  to not become taxed at same income
and the tax laws in the involved countries. 
You need to check that country to country agreement to get to know (if no one else know and tell).  I dont know that Phils-UK deal!!!   :)

Taxing of other than work incomes are often regulated in these country-country agreements.

The normal for Phils is geting taxed DIRECT for work income earned working in Phils UNDEPENDING of who pay and UNDEPENDING of in which country payer is located.
Phils have even
/made a special law about internet incomes
/and they seriously discussed to make a PARTLY ridicilous law to tax money just for being TRANSFERED to Phils to catch tax cheaters earning from abroad, but I believe they skiped at least making the ridicilous version. If they hadnt, it would have made many SSS reciever expats leaving Phils, because would have need to pay tax IN PHILS at the SSS earned elsewhere otherwice!

Btw the basic rule for stoped being taxed in Sweden is leaving more than only 6 months, (although there are some rather common exceptions as having house, business or under 18yo child in Sweden.)
Omo :

Its not only looking for work here that is absurd so is any kind of investing taxwise or otherwise.

pwc.com/ph/en/taxwise-or-otherwise/2022/easing-barriers-to-foreign-direct-investment.html
Omo :

Its not only looking for work here that is absurd so is any kind of investing taxwise or otherwise.

- @manwonder
((Well. I wouldnt start retail shops anyway anywhere in the world :)    Without looking for statistics, I suppouse after restaurants and such, small retail shops have second highest percent of bankruptcys. (In "western" countries, in Phils most go on but with crap earnings.))

Many years ago I checked Thailand rather much, but changed TO PHILS, because of Phils allow foreigners to do much MORE*    :)

*Foreigners CAN own max 40 % of many business types,
and 100 % of "export businesses" which businesses are counted as if at least 60 % of the revenue come from abroad. (Some say income from foreign TOURISTS are counted as "export" too. I dont know, havent checked because I am not interested in having tourism businesses.)

That turned out to be one of the most ridiculous interviews I have ever had.

First she was late for the interview. When I contacted her to ask her what time she would be available, she told me that she had forgotten about the interview (at least she was honest?).

She then accidentally ended the call as soon as I accepted it. She told me that she wasn't used to using Skype.

The first question she asked was if I had applied for any jobs with any companies other than theirs. Of course I had. Why would I have only applied for one job? When I told her that I had applied for other jobs, she asked me what the status of these was. I informed her that I had already had interviews for a few of these and also had a few more interviews coming up.

[SNIP]

What a nightmare. Sorry you experienced this. I can only echo the others in that some Filipinos have no idea what they are doing, and will do anything to save face, ie. not look bad. I am sorry you are having so much trouble and having your time wasted to such an extent.
It depend of the AGREEMENT between Phils and each country to not become taxed at same income
and the tax laws in the involved countries.
You need to check that country to country agreement to get to know (if no one else know and tell). I dont know that Phils-UK deal!!! :)
- @coach53

Yeah. I'll find out who I need to speak to from the UK about this later and see what they have to say.

What a nightmare. Sorry you experienced this. I can only echo the others in that some Filipinos have no idea what they are doing, and will do anything to save face, ie. not look bad. I am sorry you are having so much trouble and having your time wasted to such an extent.
- @pnwcyclist

I've been critical of the Filipinos, but sometimes the Americans and Australians can be just as bad.

I'd already passed the first two interviews with an Australian company (the first two interviews were with their Philippines-based recruitment team). They e-mailed me at 06:00 this morning, inviting me to an interview at 08:00. Obviously I failed to attend due to the complete lack of notice they had given me.

They sent me another e-mail at 08:15 telling me that my application had been withdrawn due to my tardiness. The nerve. It sounds like I dodged a bullet though if that's the way they act.

This isn't even the first time this has happened. Three American companies did similar things. The first was basically identical. They sent me an e-mail at 01:00 inviting me to an interview at 06:00. At 06:05, they told me that I was no longer being considered for the role as I hadn't shown up on time for the interview.

Another incident saw me miss an interview as Calendly had failed to send me any notifications, which meant that I didn't have the link to the Zoom meeting. I contacted the employer about the issue twice before the interview was scheduled, but they ignored me. 15 minutes after my interview time, the employer contacted me to have a go at me for wasting his time by failing to attend. It's not my fault he ignored the previous two e-mails I had sent...

The final incident saw an American company send me an e-mail at 00:00, asking me to complete an assignment in the next eight hours. I got it to them by 10:00 and they told me that I had failed the assignment as I hadn't submitted it in time.

I have to wonder if these people realise that there are different time zones in the world...

Even if the time difference wasn't an issue, I still feel that the deadlines they set were far too short.
Yeah. I'll find out who I need to speak to from the UK about this later and see what they have to say. @drjs
UK Tax office is suppoused to know.

(I got the Swedish- Philippine deal send to me by email by Swedish tax office when I asked them.)

It's not my fault he ignored the previous two e-mails I had sent...
Its the NORMAL in Phils to not answer emails    :)   and such.
Exceptions are real estate sellers and SOME online sellers, although it can take days even weeks.
(Compare: When I have checked machinery to our business, most CHINESE businesses answer within MINUTES ;)   even at their nighttime! 1f44d.svg  And if the handler dont know the answer self and no one else at work then, then they say sorry plus check it and answer soon when them knowing arrive.
So not odd chineese lead businesses have much higher success rate than Filippino... Its same in Phils, most of the successful in Phils are Chineese or part chinese as e g the founder of Cebu Passific and Globe...

E g we tried to get ONE compleeting question answered by a special bank for some businesses. We tried both emails, phone and their chat several times, mostly no answer at all and if they answered, we only got same STUPID answer  "Go to province office and ask" inspite of thats 200 - 250 km away times 2, thats why we tried to get answer at distance to get to know if it could be worth traveling there.  It wasnt...
(First the head office handler claimed BS he wasnt qualified, and when I told him to show from their own website he is, then the handler said they are out of money for such :)  If so, why didnt they tell it at their website or email/phone/chat so we hadnt wasted that travel...!!! 1f621.svg

(Once a year ago my business partner were close to give up geting our business registered after an additional stop, but I told him these stupidities and crap handlings are so many so it become comic, so he is geting a great story to tell his grandkids and great grandkids when he are old and sit at veranda and tell what obstacle our then grown to huge business had in start  1f923.svg  Then he laughted and continued - and got that obstacle solved after I had given him the hint to tell BIR:
-We cant pay tax if you dont register us...
Then BIR solved it fast   1f923.svg

@drjs    why people move to the PI to work is absurd.    If your not retired and that means you don't need income...... then don't go to the PI.     Very rare there are any jobs there except perhaps some US based company has a satellite branch there.    Starting any business like a bar or restaurant is just going to lose  money for you.

@pike0072

I moved here to be with my partner. However,  having done so means that I do have to work in some form or capacity in order to contribute to our expenses and lifestyle.   There are plenty of long-term benefits that look great on my Resume and to Professional platforms where i am active (LinkedIn), and as such, this is attractive to US/Western businesses and future clients who wish to work with teams that are based here.

Knowing that the teams they work with are Operated and managed by a Canadian are found to be attractive and has done no harm at all

Starting any business like a bar or restaurant is just going to lose  money for you.

- @pike0072
Thats why I start other businesses than such :) (Productions instead.)

Its crazy how common it is with foreigners believing they can become successful bar owners "because" of being frequent bar customers1f923.svg
The facts, most Filipinos are not up to the western standards, especially in the construction trades, we would never hire a Filipino in the construction trades, they are slow and don't know how to figure out a better and faster way of doing things, that is the reason a lot of projects are completed by Japanese or Chinese firms, they were building a power plant in Davao, immigration found out there were 15 to 20 Chinese workers with no permits, and stopped them, until the contractor explained they had no Filipinos that could do the job
@Okieboy
. 1f602.svg