How do you navigate your expat identity in the Cayman Islands?

Hey guys in the Cayman Islands or wanting to move there,

Fellow expat Stephanie has sent us a piece about how she navigates between her British-ish and her French-ish identity and we thought we would share it with you.

Her opinion piece is featured on our magazine:
Opinion: Does being an expat mean I'll always be the outsider?

We would love to know what you think!

Happy Thursday,
AL

I hadn't noticed this thread before, but better late than never, I guess! So here's my take on the topic. I've lived here for 42 years,, and it's a very pleasant and comfortable place to live as an expat. Expats will always be expats, because the term "Caymanian" in general usage implies a bloodline connection with ancestors who were living here at least three generations ago. The term "expat" applies to everybody else.

Expats represent about a hundred nations. The main contributors are Filipinos, Jamaicans, Latinos, Canadians, British, Americans, Indians and Europeans. I won't go into detail, because very few people ever visit expat.com's Cayman forum; but below is a link to a blog-post of mine from nine years ago that gives the flavour of how things were then. The situation has improved since, I have to say, but the bedrock principle holds true.
barlowscayman.blogspot.com/2011/09/fool-me-once.html