I intend to go to Philippines

I have just taken early retirement at the age of 62. I have a desire to go to Palawan, Puerto Princesa and live there because my retirement income is low and I cannot live on it in the US. I am alone and I have many questions, such as the cost of house rent, food, electricity, internet, phone, medical insurance, transportation, etc. If you have any information, please do not hesitate to inform me so I can get an idea about life in Palawan, Puerto Princesa.

Thanks

I have just taken early retirement at the age of 62. I have a desire to go to Palawan, Puerto Princesa and live there because my retirement income is low and I cannot live on it in the US. I am alone and I have many questions, such as the cost of house rent, food, electricity, internet, phone, medical insurance, transportation, etc. If you have any information, please do not hesitate to inform me so I can get an idea about life in Palawan, Puerto Princesa.
Thanks

-@mokzeit

Hello mokzeit, and welcome to expat.com! Congratulations on your taking early retirement.

Though not specific to Palawan, there was a recent thread on the

"Cost of living in the Philippines in 2024 " (Link) which you might find useful.

Hope this helps.

@mokzeit

Transport is cheaper , if you use JEEPNEY .

FOOD ALSO SAME , IF YOU USE LOCAL ( VILLAGE ) RESTAURANTS,

Living cost , depends on you . Find to stay wt family wt food , cost less than living on your own in Apartments.

Check on * AIR BNB * .. you will find nice apartments for less price

THIS TIME BIT EXPENSIVE . BCOZ Palawan is famous place for tourist .

The usual advice is to make a few trips, get to know the place, etc - before moving. However, what the heck, sometimes it's better to jump in with both feet, which is how I ended up living in the Philippines, lol. I have lived in several parts of the Visayas region, but never in Palawan, although I have visited. I wonder why you picked it however. There are many nice, peaceful areas in the PI with natural beauty, that might cost less.

In very general terms, in most provincial areas of the Philippines (or smaller cities) away from the big cities,  you can rent a decent apartment or small house for under 16K Php ($300) per month. Food will cost you anywhere from 12K if you buy all your groceries, to 25K if you eat out a lot.  Let's say another $300-350. Electricity would be around 3-5K in a small place, depending on AC use, and Internet under 2K. We buy drinking water by the 5 gal bottle at 25-40p. Cell phone is cheap, maybe 1K per month for prepaid if you don't use too much data. So maybe $150 for utilities at most. Add $50-100/mo for miscellaneous things, or gas for the scooter, and you're still under $1000/mo US. But that is a pretty basic budget.  We spend a lot more on housing, food, schools, vehicles, trips, etc.

Keep in mind though, that housing in that price range may well be noisy, as one of the defining characteristics of many areas in the Philippines is noise.. barking dogs, loud motorbikes, drunk karaoke, etc. This is the sort of thing you discover after being here awhile, hence the common advice to spend some time here first, before making firm commitments.

You can buy a nice used scooter to get around for 25- 50K ($500-1000) and they are really cheap to run. I highly recommend it so you have a way to get around and see things, meet people, etc.

Regarding medical - many of us, myself included do not have medical insurance in the Philippines because doctor visits are very inexpensive. You just walk in and it will be around $10-25, a bit more if you need a prescription. I also still keep my US Medicare coverage in case I get really sick, as I still live part time in the US and if I were you I might do the same for awhile until you are sure of your intention to stay in the Philippines.

@mokzeit Before I came here an OFW advised me "Go to the Philippines and have fun but trust no one" In many markets and stalls there are  no prices so there are prices for foreigners and prices for Filopinos. My partner does not allow me to accompany her to the markets because the vendors may 'adjust' the price when they see me. An American told me that he paid a lawyer which he later found out would have been cheaper for a local. All foreiners are perceived as rich so be careful living with a local family. who may expect you to pay  for many people in the 'family'.

Having said that, Filipinos are friendly and helpful and I enjoy their company and the beautiful country.

@mokzeit

I don't know the cost of other areas i can only say mine rent can be from 8500P to 12000P depending on where up want to live apartment or house. power can be anywhere from 1000 to 15000 depending of if you are running a/c I had a place with two a/c units it cost me 15k the rent was 15k also water is minimal maybe 1000 food is probably going to be your least problem because you can control what and where you eat but i take a family of 5 out and its about 1500p so you need to search around and find the best deal you can in the area your wanting to land take note 1 us dollar is 55 P in what i have seen 1 person can do pretty well here for under 1000 a month but your going to have to pay for visa I'm married so I get 1 year free because me and my wife entered  through a port of entry and they give what they call a balikbayan visa a tourist visa use to be 2500P a month so you need to check on that cause I haven't had on e in 4 years. if you make 1000 a month have no kids and only a gf then you should be good to go - if you have any more questions fell free to ask

I think the advice to come here on holiday first is very wise if as you say you will be short of money,  going to a tourist area is not the cheapest option though.

I can only speak from my experience of living in dumaguete and valencia which is very favourable. It all depends on how you want to live and how good your judgement of character is. if you would like a companion they are readily obtainable. I came to an airbnb at first which you could do for a holiday.

The staff will judge your character and put you in touch with an appropriate partner in their opinion.

If you are a genuine kind person you are more likely but not neccesarily going to get a wonderful and loyal partner.  after that you can live very cheaply like a local or struggle financially living like a lord and anything between. best wishes when making your decisions.

(1) Banking is a problem for new Expats, make sure your direct deposit is working, preferable in a major US bank, your debit card will be your lifeline. Make sure you have savings if things go wrong, red tape dealing with things in the US from the Philippines is woeful.

(2) Charge card companies should be notified in advance that you will be using them in the Philippines.

(3) Clothing is another problem for westerners (size) so think years ahead.

(4)  You will need a US based address, either a friend, relative or a mail forwarder.

(5) Set up a Magic Jack account or something similar while still in the US and bring it with you.

(6) Have a printed list of your prescriptions Meds so a Philippine Doctor can subscribe them.

(7) Bring your birth certificate.

(8) Simple things accomplished in minutes in the US, can take hours or days in the Philippines.

Thanks

You don't say the amount you have to live on but the figure used to be $1500 but now closer to $2000 per month. If you only have $850 you are better off staying in the USA taking sdvzntage of social services. Here you will be miserable on that small amount and no safety net, especially concerning to life and death if you get sick as the hospitals will not save lives unless people pay.

I greatly appreciate your response to my inquiry. I would like to clarify further that I am alone, and when I arrive in the Philippines, I will be living with a Filipina woman whose family I know. Therefore, I want to gather more details to understand if I am capable of handling the situation. My question is about renting a well-furnished apartment in a residential area, not a tourist area, with one air conditioner sufficient for the apartment. What is the approximate rent for such an apartment? How much is the electricity bill if I leave the air conditioner on all the time? What is the cost of 5G internet per month? How much is the monthly phone subscription for 5G? Additionally, I work a side job that requires fast internet. What are the costs of visiting doctors and medical tests if needed? What are the other monthly expenses such as obtaining a residency permit and its cost, etc.?

@Aidan in HCMCI greatly appreciate your response to my inquiry. I would like to clarify further that I am alone, and when I arrive in the Philippines, I will be living with a Filipina woman whose family I know. Therefore, I want to gather more details to understand if I am capable of handling the situation. My question is about renting a well-furnished apartment in a residential area, not a tourist area, with one air conditioner sufficient for the apartment. What is the approximate rent for such an apartment? How much is the electricity bill if I leave the air conditioner on all the time? What is the cost of 5G internet per month? How much is the monthly phone subscription for 5G? Additionally, I work a side job that requires fast internet. What are the costs of visiting doctors and medical tests if needed? What are the other monthly expenses such as obtaining a residency permit and its cost, etc.?

@SRIDHASS THEVA

I greatly appreciate your response to my inquiry. I would like to clarify further that I am alone, and when I arrive in the Philippines, I will be living with a Filipina woman whose family I know. Therefore, I want to gather more details to understand if I am capable of handling the situation. My question is about renting a well-furnished apartment in a residential area, not a tourist area, with one air conditioner sufficient for the apartment. What is the approximate rent for such an apartment? How much is the electricity bill if I leave the air conditioner on all the time? What is the cost of 5G internet per month? How much is the monthly phone subscription for 5G? Additionally, I work a side job that requires fast internet. What are the costs of visiting doctors and medical tests if needed? What are the other monthly expenses such as obtaining a residency permit and its cost, etc.?

@Enzyte Bob

@pnwcyclist

@danfinn

I have 1000 $ pension

@mokzeit

@danfinn
I have 1000 $ pension

-@mokzeit

No longer enough. Not good.

To be reasonably secure you need double that. Can you delay SSA payments and work longer there? Here's an idea;

Can you earn money as a digital nomad? Check out Cambly to earn maybe $10 an hour tutoring English online...You do not neeed a college degree and several expats have done it. I DO NOT WORK FOR OR REPRESENT THEM..with that you have a shot at earning an extra K per month. Where there's a will there's a way but $1k is no longer enough here.

@danfinn

but $1k is no longer enough here.

Especially if you are shacking up with a Filipina and her family live nearby.

You stated earlier that you will be receiving a US pension albeit reduced. My understanding is that the amount you are eligible for is much higher than $1k. Heck thats even less than the British state pension.

@SRIDHASS THEVA

Thank you

@danfinn
I have 1000 $ pension

-@mokzeit

Having worked in the USA, you should be eligible for reduced SSA at age 62 and even more if you wait until age 66 or 67.  Is the pension you mentioned independent of SSA?  If so you might want to wait until you reach a combined amount of at least $2,000 before considering a move.

mokzeit said. . . . I have just taken early retirement at the age of 62. I have a desire to go to Palawan, Puerto Princesa and live there because my retirement income is low and I cannot live on it in the US.

Yes it's difficult to live on your $1,000 SS.

(1) I would suggest instead of moving to the Philippines, go to Mexico.

(2) Throw away your I.D.

(3) Cross back into the US as an illegal.

(4) Receive 80K in benefits.

(5) Hurry,there is no time to waste as this program will end on January 20, 2025.

@mugteck I am at early retirement at 62

@mugteck ssa early retirement

So your $1000/month is SSA, not gonna make it in the Philippines.  Better off grabbing low income benefits in USA.

You'll fit right in any red state with $1000/mo especially if you donate half (or some greater patriotic amount) to king orange. Just avoid sophisticated blue cities with them fancy schools and hi-tech hospitals. Nobody needs that crap and buy a gun or as many as you can. You're in the U.S. Redhats need guns to protect themselves from other redhats.

jozica said . . . .You'll fit right in any red state with $1000/mo especially if you donate half (or some greater patriotic amount) to king orange. Just avoid sophisticated blue cities with them fancy schools and hi-tech hospitals. Nobody needs that crap and buy a gun or as many as you can. You're in the U.S. Redhats need guns to protect themselves from other redhats.

Brandon said to King Orange "Make My Day".

Hang on. Can somebody explain to this dim witted Limey. You can retire early stateside at 62 and receive a lower government pension.

Our friend "Old dog new tricks" did this when he arrived in Dumaguete yet I'm sure he says he is now receiving about $1,700 a month pension if not more with subsequent COLA increases?

mokzeit said. . . . I have just taken early retirement at the age of 62. I have a desire to go to Palawan, Puerto Princesa and live there because my retirement income is low and I cannot live on it in the US.*************************Yes it's difficult to live on your $1,000 SS.(1) I would suggest instead of moving to the Philippines, go to Mexico.(2) Throw away your I.D.(3) Cross back into the US as an illegal.(4) Receive 80K in benefits.(5) Hurry,there is no time to waste as this program will end on January 20, 2025.        -@Enzyte Bob

OR cross the English channel in an inflatable dinghy  and claim asylum. The British government will house you in a hotel: yes food, accommodation, clothing and spending money provided.

If you dont like the climate and prefer warmer weather like the Philippines the govt will put you on a flight to Rwanda,gratis, where a comfortable apartment & a sum of Rwandan Francs awaits you in Kigali. Think of it as an extended vacation but don't forget to take out life insurance.

I have seen videos saying $1000 per month is doable but I think for the people who do that, it is not much of a retirement, always having to count the pennies. Plus there are the start up costs to consider when you first move there such as any furniture, crockery, rent deposits, etc,

Delaying your retirement by a few years to establish a larger monthly pension would seem like the smart thing to do but I guess that depends on how much money your side job brings in. Please do not forget that if you are combining your pension and the money earned from your side job to pay essential costs, you may struggle if you can not do your job (maybe through illness). Best to make sure all your fixed expenses and food are payed for out of your pension which is guaranteed each month.

Yeah, it's s a stretch, but if I had only $1000/mo I would rather make a go of it in PI or Thailand than the US. That won't even cover rent in the US in most places. But it is a bare-bones budget, with a Filipino living standard, however some people do manage to make it work. 

It's important that you also have some savings set aside for unanticipated or one-off expenses - a car or scooter, building a small house for yourselves, a significant medical event, needing to return to the US, etc. Or all of the above. You must not touch that in daily living and never tell her family how much that is, or they will eventually drain it. If you don't have that, you are setting yourself up for failure, and it likely won't go well.

I like DanFinn's suggestion of finding a way to earn an extra $1000/mo. That would make a huge difference, and also allow you to build up the savings.  Another option is to withdraw your early SSA and resume working a bit longer. You have 12 months to do that, but you will have to repay what they have already paid out.

You'll fit right in any red state with $1000/mo especially if you donate half (or some greater patriotic amount) to king orange. Just avoid sophisticated blue cities with them fancy schools and hi-tech hospitals. Nobody needs that crap and buy a gun or as many as you can. You're in the U.S. Redhats need guns to protect themselves from other redhats.

-@jozica

Keep politics out of the threads. Some anti-trumpers will look for any opportunity to politicize every random negative aspect in life to Trump. It is no longer 2016 or 2020, you are very boring and most of us don't care znymore how you want to split-up and neuter the USA as we have kniwn it. We just want you to go away. Your kind screwed up the country badly; it's good we don't live there anymore to deal with it but I feel bad for the kids.

To the OP.

You have had some great and logical replies here from seasoned expats who have lived here for years and know the costs as well as the ever rising costs.

I fully agree with the US 2K per month as that is what we spend. In saying that we own everything, home, car and bikes. Living here is certainly cheaper than Australia.

As others have suggested why not work a few more years for a comfortable retirement.

Good luck.

Cheers, Steve.

You'll fit right in any red state with $1000/mo especially if you donate half (or some greater patriotic amount) to king orange. Just avoid sophisticated blue cities with them fancy schools and hi-tech hospitals. Nobody needs that crap and buy a gun or as many as you can. You're in the U.S. Redhats need guns to protect themselves from other redhats.         -@jozica

Keep politics out of the threads. Some anti-trumpers will look for any opportunity to politicize every random negative aspect in life to Trump. It is no longer 2016 or 2020, you are very boring and most of us don't care znymore how you want to split-up and neuter the USA as we have kniwn it. We just want you to go away. Your kind screwed up the country badly; it's good we don't live there anymore to deal with it but I feel bad for the kids.

-@danfinn

Funny you didn't complain when E-Bob started it but then you're not the only hypocrite who lounges here. I'm leaving the U.S. to get away from your kind and I heard Ground Zero Restaurant is destroyed by expats. Gee, I wonder why. If you are a regular there then that explains everything. Well done magas! ... everywhere you go. Your party can't get along with itself.

@jozica

Flattery will get you everywhere but sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

Political innuendos will not make you any friends here, read the forum rules and choose another site for your diatribe that may be aligned.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

jozica said. . . . magas?

Bit like Bagas Bob, fuel to feed the fire.

Cheers, Steve.

@jozica
Flattery will get you everywhere but sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

Political innuendos will not make you any friends here, read the forum rules and choose another site for your diatribe that may be aligned.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

-@bigpearl

You mean sarcasm and political innuendos like this? ...

"Yes it's difficult to live on your $1,000 SS.

(1) I would suggest instead of moving to the Philippines, go to Mexico.

(2) Throw away your I.D.

(3) Cross back into the US as an illegal.

(4) Receive 80K in benefits.

(5) Hurry,there is no time to waste as this program will end on January 20, 2025."

-@Enzyte Bob

No, your hypocrisy is the lowest form of wit because it has none.

Bob's comments don't bother me because I can play along. I like Bob. He's fun.

It's you two phonies – you and Dan – who can't handle it and nobody was even talking to you.

@bigpearl

My health condition don't allowed me ti continue working

@bigpearl
My health condition don't allowed me ti continue working

-@mokzeit

Sorry to hear that with your health but as you can see from the input of members here that it will be a tough road to travel but doable if you are frugal.

Many locals here survive on P10 to 20K per month (US 2 to 400 bucks a month) but live at home or share houses to save costs.

Not knowing your health problem/s have you thought about the cost of health care in the States v Philippines? We simply have PhilHealth for me is P17K and the better half is 6K, doesn't cover much but will get you into hospital, we have a decent nest egg to cover emergencies.

Good luck with your decision.

Cheers, Steve.

@jozica    Dan – who can't handle it and nobody was even talking to you.

Bob was being humorous but you showed bitterness and a true political agenda. Get off my case.