Pros and Cons of Retiring/Living in the Philippines

The more I think about this subject the more I seem to be persuading myself that the Philippines is not a great place to retire, contrary to what others think and every body is entitled to their opinion.

So after reading some of the recent posts, I have broken it down into three big, big negatives. Firstly corruption, which seems to be everywhere in the Philippines. Secondly the amount of bureaucratic red tape just to do the simplest of things and thirdly the Filipino attitude to learning new things and improving themselves. (This last one, I got from the post about the guy who is having to jump through hoops just to get an interview and then find out that the interviewer knows little or nothing about the job when the guy answers questions, giving relevant examples. Also the fact that a Filipino conducting an interview, who cannot speak good English and is unwilling to be corrected would make me want to cry. I have to applaud the guy's patience and his perseverance.

I just find it very hard at the moment, even to consider living in a country with these three problems. Eating rice three times a day does not help either.

I am wondering if there is a better country to retire to although I would still want to be with my Filipina girlfriend and daughter. I understand Argentina and Costa Rica may be good choices.

The only big plus of living in the Philippines I can see is that English is very widely spoken but even that is not enough if they are not willing to be corrected when they are wrong.
The more I think about this subject the more I seem to be persuading myself that the Philippines is not a great place to retire, contrary to what others think and every body is entitled to their opinion.

So after reading some of the recent posts, I have broken it down into three big, big negatives. Firstly corruption, which seems to be everywhere in the Philippines. Secondly the amount of bureaucratic red tape just to do the simplest of things, and thirdly the Filipino attitude to learning new things and improving themselves...

I just find it very hard at the moment, even to consider living in a country with these three problems. Eating rice three times a day does not help either. I am wondering if there is a better country to retire to although I would still want to be with my Filipina girlfriend and daughter. I understand Argentina and Costa Rica may be good choices.  - @Cherryann01
`
One can well understand your thinking, Cherryann.

But if one can say, don't let it upset you!   Thinking of retirement is meant to be an enjoyable past-time 1f600.svg

1. Corruption is endemic, so accept it. For a simple retirement, you won't face it all that often. But just ready to pay under the table. Set a limit, and go with their flow. Easy. Most things will only cost a pizza or two delivered to the office concerned. 

2. Your second concern, the red tape is annoying, but can often be related to again, pizzas. It's just an obstacle course, that with time, you will get through eventually.

3. And in regards your third point, the Phils folk are always wary of new ideas, so just be ready to grin and bear through their obstinacy. Accept their old fashioned ways, smile whenever you're with them as often and sincerely as you can. And, you'll be much happier.

So as to the question, is the Phils a good place to retire? Well yes, on balance, a lot of people do find it to be so.

And numbers tend not to lie.

But you're wise to question any assumptions about different places to retire, as you are doing, and you have obviously been giving your decision some thought.

That's simply being very sensible indeed.

So, maybe websites such as  https://internationalliving.com/the-best-places-to-retire/  maybe of help. This site has recently conducted a major study into the main world choices for locations for retirement, and found:

"The World's Best Places to Retire in 2022 are:   10. Uruguay · 9. Spain · 8. Malta · 7. France · 6. Ecuador · 5. Colombia · 4. Portugal · 3. Mexico · 2. Costa Rica ·  1. Panama."

Of interest, the Philippines is not on their list ... for whatever reason, ... and for whatever that may mean1f600.svg

So I guess what I'm saying is .. get lots of info, as you are obviously doing .. and enjoy your selection process!

Hi all,

Please note that some non-constructive comments have been moved from the conversation. Let's focus on answering
@Cherryann01's questions.

Thanks @PalawOne for sharing your thoughts.

Vero
Expat.com team
3. And in regards your third point, the Phils folk are always wary of new ideas, so just be ready to grin and bear through their obstinacy. Accept their old fashioned ways, smile whenever you're with them as often and sincerely as you can. And, you'll be much happier.

Yes most MALAY Filipinos. Thats why I chosed TRIBE Filipinos.

Foreigners, who rent and dont  have business, dont need to bother much about officials,
and if living far from neighbours then dont need to bother much about common Filipinos neither   :)

I dont remember how I got contact and came to chat with him 2 years ago, but he is a foreigner, who live in the Palawan djungle with almost no contact with the world, but when we got contact he had went to a neighbour and borrowed internet.  He didnt even know about the covid restrictions, inspite of it was much back then, so  I needed to tell him, about the restrictions where HE live    :)
"The World's Best Places to Retire in 2022 are:   10. Uruguay · 9. Spain · 8. Malta · 7. France · 6. Ecuador · 5. Colombia · 4. Portugal · 3. Mexico · 2. Costa Rica ·  1. Panama."

Of interest, the Philippines is not on their list ... for whatever reason, ... and for whatever that may mean1f600.svg
- @PalawOne
! Many of these countries are among them I SKIPED as alternatives among FIRST   1f923.svg
because of the strong drug cartells
and in some SouthAmerican countries people are scared of strong German NAZI influences STILL  I saw a documentary about it recently but dont remember which parts where in which country of Argentina, Chile and Uruguay, but they talked about situation about Nazis in all three NOW.
Spain I skiped because it can be 200 meters deep to reach water in own well.
Depends on what you want in retirement. Are you married, single, have children, want children, your age, sex and wants in life. If married, is your wife a Filipina who misses her family? With the new Social Security rules now paying benefits to overseas born children of recipients, the Philippines is way more attractive to the single older man.
@Cherryann01 Wow!  Dude, have you lived in the Phils before?  You have several valid points, but. have you, yourself experienced them?  Advice, come stay in the Phils for a couple of months.  Make your decision after that, unless you have already lived here.  Yes, Filipino's are one of the most stubborn nationalities I have ever encountered and I have been to many, many countries.  I have tried to get them to eat vegetables.  Vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, etc.  WTF!  I have made "real" Italian spaghetti, but they prefer their mushy, hot dog ridden, so terribly sweet spaghetti.  So, yes, obstinate to the core. I experienced the red tape you wrote about firsthand when processing my SRRV.  What a joke!  It was an utterly horrific experience.  If you process the paperwork yourself it seems they get offended that you didn't use a "fixer" is what they call them.  There are levels and levels of red tape in the Phils, but luckily, there is corruption.  I mean that somewhat comically.  If not for the corruption, I wouldn't have been able to get some things important things done expeditiously.  And as someone posted previously "corruption is everywhere, get used to it".  I totally agree as I'm from the US and we had a certain president who shall not be named, that took corruption and abuse to a whole new level, so!  In reference to what you wrote about Filipino's speaking English..don't you believe a word of that.  Unless you think that saying "good morning" is speaking English.  Most Filipino's I have encountered do not speak English except for a couple of words or sentences.  Now, if you go to a call center or a university or such, ok yeah, but on the average "no".
Lastly, the reasons I'm here are twofold: one, cost of living.  My retirement pay in the US is considered right above poverty level. However, here I'm upper upper middle class.  Apartments here are dirt cheap.  I have a nice apartment and it costs $180.00 a month, very, very affordable.  The same size apartment in the US would cost easily $1200.00 monthly.  Food isn't as inexpensive as I was led to believe, unless you do most of your shopping at the wet markets. Two, beach's and vacations.  The Phils has some of the nicest beach's I have ever seen.  The cost of vacationing in a nice resort, compared to other tropical destinations, is minimal.  My wife and I stayed in a beautiful place called Malapascua in Cebu for a month and the lodging was only $200.0 for a place close to the beach and with a good AC and water pressure.  Anyway, you have to find a reason or reasons to live here despite the downfalls.  You will experience downfalls wherever you go.  I am enjoying my retirement here and having been all over the world, I would consider the Phils a good place to retire, like many other foreigners here!  Good luck with your retirement!
Yup....Like @PalawOne says....I too don't mind sharing my low cost Pizzas every now & then.
(I would not dare invest too much money here anymore)
It still is cheap and good taking into account the initial lum sum 'expendable investments' I made back 2013 (thanks to the depreciating peso too) and lastly because it's very close to my home base where my emergency exit plans have already been made.
It all depends on one's priorities I think, as well as income and assets, and ability to handle the climate. In my opinion there are nicer places in the world to retire - less noisy, and with better food and climate.. but face it - they are more expensive. Many are here for the low cost of living, or to find a younger wife/gf in a culture that accepts that. I agree with Wackerdog that the English spoken in the Philippines is pretty rudimentary and would not be a deciding factor for me.

Climate and air quality are the biggest problems for me in any tropical or developing country - I was raised and still own property in the Western US, where it is dry and comfortable for the most part, with clean air where I live.  As are Spain, Portugal and other Mediterranean and South American countries.  I am also a cyclist, spending 6-8 hours a week on my bikes, wherever I am. Yes, even here.

The single biggest issue I have in the Philippines is the almost unbearable humidity, as well as the constant burning in the province, which aggravates my asthma. I do not like living inside with AC on all the time. The smoke in the province in the evening is something to see. Mosquito control.. It is technically illegal but we know how that goes. At home I do not need to use an inhaler - here I often do, especially in the rainy season. The prevalence of asthma is very high in the Philippines and I can see why. My girlfriend lost two uncles to it.

Then you have the food, the bugs, and the constant noise. It's up to you if it's a problem or not - some don't find it a problem, some do.

Things like corruption and complicated process would not enter the equation for me. The Philippines tradition of paying fixers, etc came from their history of having to pay tribute and bribes to the priests to get things done. It became a part of the culture and still is.
One persons Cons is another persons Pros or visa versa.

One size does not fit all.

Most Expats moving to the Philippines have some idea what they are getting into. I say some idea, but not the big picture completely. Everyone's circumstances is different.

Adjustment is the answer, as time goes on hopefully they will adjust. Life in the Philippines is a compromise. The ones that can't adjust and have the means, just simply move on.

That's life Folks.
@Cherryann01 I looked into Costa Rica, but that is becoming very expensive cuz many are relocating from California and have driven up prices. I don't know about Argentina. Regarding eating rice three times a day, that is ridiculous. I am originally from Louisiana and enjoy eating rice - with Gravy. But I probably eat rice a total of six times per week. There are potatoes, pasta/pancit, and vegetables as a side dish. Last night I ordered a great All Meat Pizza (Not for the Vegans, I realize).
Yes - There is corruption; but not enough to affect what you need to do.
If you have a steady income of $4k+ per month, you MIGHT be able to survive alone in The US, or live with your children or siblings. And then, if they are working daily, you have no one to be with you Just In Case, or for companionship.
I am Happy to be here. I can afford to live Comfortably, but not luxuriously. Not too long ago, I was living in a 5,500 Square Foot Home with three kitchens - Now, I am in a 600 Square Foot Condo. I am at Peace at this stage in my life.
And yes, I am an Older Fella with a much younger Filipina which I admit that I appreciate for the companionship, affection,  and caregiver benefits.
The main Downside for me is that I do miss seeing my Grandchildren, and Great Grandchildren grow up, but they are spread out along many states and now countries so I would not be a regular part of their lives anyway. Facebook will have to suffice.
I recommend living in The Philippines, but you will need to experience it to decide on your own. Really depends on what you want and are willing to accept in life, and what you can afford.

@Cherryann01

It seems you're in a luxurious position, being able to weigh everything up before diving in. If you have the retirement finances, and still healthy enough, then the world is your oyster. Possibly, you don't need to commit to just one place just yet...and can enjoy being a fleeting expat in some of the tempting places listed above? I must admit, I'm a more than a bit envious of that.

Echoing Whackerdog123's point - No one really knows what they're getting until they get there. Even with all the planning in the world, it's like preparing for a big party, and then some jerk shows up and spoils it..then you realise there are always elements outside of your control. Part of setting up is doing so as best you can, then accepting how things play out...

For me, ending up with a Philippines retirement plan, was a bit of a lotto.  At the end of the day it's about human relationships. If I hadn't met an "Island princess", fallen in lust, then I wouldn't have impulsively got married, stupidly bought a plot of land, or become enmeshed with a family whose economic status and cultural values are light-years removed from my own. (Hell, I can't even talk to them most of the time) -that saved a lot of problems, believe me! Nor however, would I have stumbled upon this particular project, met my life partner, had these kids, or these blessings .

BTW, I'm not advocating everyone has kids in their retirement : )

My point is, once I was committed, gradually I got immersed in the everyday challenges of life, and mediocrity set in, as an exotic chapter turned normal.  A large part of feeling accomplished now, is just hanging in there, and making "the best of it" over a lot of years. Wherever you end up, that's what I'm suggesting will eventually happen for you.

Regarding corruption, here's a unique slant. If it wasn't for the corruption and inefficiencies, not many of us would be able to afford to live the way we do in the Philippines. Imagine if the Philippines became like Singapore? (That's a longshot I know). For a start the women wouldn't look at me, the land would be unaffordable, and a night out in the bars would be prohibitive - and the orderliness would wear me down. In the Philippines, the disorder and underdevelopment is part of what makes living earthy and alivening.

Hopefully you'll make the right choice for you. It's a good position to be in, as you look through the menu.

@Cherryann01 I am retired here now and am also a Permanent Resident. I wrote a blog about retiring here. It is at https://timotraveling.blogspot.com/2015/06/retire-in-philippines.html I see what you are saying, But, on the other hand there are also drawbacks to staying in our home countries. For me a big one is "chemtrails." Where I lived in the USA, not far from two international airports, the skies were covered most days with chemtrails. I must say that, in the Philippines, it is really comforting to look up and see clear blue skies (when it is not raining.) We are not being sprayed like bugs in the Philippines.

@Cherryann01

The above advice and comments you have received Cherryann illustrate this Forum at its very best. Not being a resident of the country I am not qualified to give you any specific advice other than common sense pointers of moving to another country which you know already.

There is a possible alternative solution. On my flight returning from my very first business trip to the Philippines in January 2001 I was seated next to a widowed retired British army officer. The guy was in his late 70's's and spent 4 months in the country every year visiting his Filipina GF who lived in northern Luzon. He had built or purchased a modest house there. I cannot remember if he had any children. We were in business class and must have gone through a whole bottle of Bombay gin (served by a charming Filipina) but boy was he a mine of information - a real character, softly spoken but very cerebral.

I asked him does he not miss his wife to which his reply was the arrangement was mutually beneficial or words to that effect. Like you (and me) he missed the accoutrements of home. He stated that he has best of both worlds. He leaves the dark British winter behind in November just when the Philippines is moving into its relatively cooler & drier period to March. I know that pnwcyclist (I am not his agent!) has this arrangement and it seems to work for him.

I understand that you have a child with your Filipina GF and this option for a whole range of reasons may not necessarily lend itself to your final goal. Just a thought.

You mentioned Costa Rica and Argentina. Occasionally on this Forum I refer to the excellent work of a non profit, non partisan organisation, Transparency International - set up by former employees of the World Bank to fight worldwide corruption. On their Corruptions Perception Index table The Philippines comes in at 115 (out of about 175 countries) Costa Rica 42, Argentina 78. Costa Rica is hot, humid and expensive.
I have visited Buenos Aires twice on business and it is one of my favourite capitals. Stylish, classy (heritage is 60% Spanish 40% Italian) beautiful gothic architecture, a mediterranean climate and ahem beautiful women who still retain their femininity. Spanish the lingua franca. Just across the river plate is Montevideo (Uruguay's capital) where I vacationed for a week - the 'Switzerland' of South America ranked at 21. Both countries exceptionally cheap to live in.

Transparency International is a great reference point in many ways - towards the top the higher the cost of living as a rule of thumb. At the bottom dirt cheap but with the attendant drawbacks. Perhaps halfway is that sweet spot.
I often think about my army officer flight companion and wonder what he is doing now. Would not surprise me if he has had his telegram from the Queen..

So after reading some of the recent posts, I have broken it down into three big, big negatives. Firstly corruption, which seems to be everywhere in the Philippines. Secondly the amount of bureaucratic red tape just to do the simplest of things, and thirdly the Filipino attitude to learning new things and improving themselves...

I just find it very hard at the moment, even to consider living in a country with these three problems. Eating rice three times a day does not help either. I am wondering if there is a better country to retire to although I would still want to be with my Filipina girlfriend and daughter. I understand Argentina and Costa Rica may be good choices.  - @Cherryann01
`
One can well understand your thinking, Cherryann.

But if one can say, don't let it upset you!   Thinking of retirement is meant to be an enjoyable past-tim

1. Corruption is endemic, so accept it. For a simple retirement, you won't face it all that often. But just ready to pay under the table. Set a limit, and go with their flow. Easy. Most things will only cost a pizza or two delivered to the office concerned. 

2. Your second concern, the red tape is annoying, but can often be related to again, pizzas. It's just an obstacle course, that with time, you will get through eventually.

So as to the question, is the Phils a good place to retire? Well yes, on balance, a lot of people do find it to be so.

And numbers tend not to lie.

But you're wise to question any assumptions about different places to retire, as you are doing, and you have obviously been giving your decision some thought.

That's simply being very sensible indeed.

So, maybe websites such as  https://internationalliving.com/the-bes … to-retire/  maybe of help. This site has recently conducted a major study into the main world choices for locations for retirement, and found:

So I guess what I'm saying is .. get lots of info, as you are obviously doing .. and enjoy your selection process!

- @PalawOne

Thank you for your detailed reply, I found it very interesting. There are a couple of countries on your list that did surprise me a little and ones I have not seen on a list of "Best Countries to Retire" before. France surprised me the most, I can not see the cost of living there being cheap. Malta also surprised me but that one makes a little more sense. Portugal is absolutely lovely and seems to have everything somebody would want and Spain is very popular with the British.

Mexico, I hear is the new Colombia regarding drugs along with Peru, Colombia seems to have taken massive steps over the past 10 or 15 years to tackle it's drug problem and the rest of the countries on the list, I have heard of before.

When I watched the you tube video of retiring in Argentina I only saw the one, just caught my eye, so I checked it out and it does have a lot of appeal. Rather than a tropical environment, Argentina is similar to the UK with four distinct seasons (Not sure about Patagonia). The video I watched also mentioned that like the UK, free Health Care is available to all, including Ex Pats (It did recommend taking out private medical insurance though). All in all it looked like a good place to retire.

I think over the next few years, places like Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania, Hungary and Poland could make the top 10 also. Give unlimited wealth, Austria would be my choice but we can't have it all.

One further thing that I should mention is that unlike a lot of  people looking for their ideal retirement place, a hot climate and access to beaches are not a requirement for me, hence Austria, lakes and mountains, walking in summer, skiing in winter.
Cherryann01 thoughts. . .

I am wondering if there is a better country to retire to although I would still want to be with my Filipina girlfriend and daughter. I understand Argentina and Costa Rica may be good choices.
This post is not directed at Cherryann01. . . But he stimulated my mind.

While relaxing in my reclining chair and having drifting thoughts running through my mind, I was thinking what  is the reason for a person to be an Expat.

Myself I was happy living where I was, the idea of moving to the Philippines from the US was to enable my wife to reunited with her family, if I never met and married her, I would still have lived my happy life where I was.

IF we decided to stop working and stayed in the states our life style would drop several notches, but upon us moving to the Philippines it dropped more than several notches.

Now to change the premise of Cherryann01 post. . . . .

What is a logical reason a single man would become an Expat in the Philippines? Is it to seek something that they are missing or disappointed in their own life? or financial reasons, or companionship? or chasing fantasies?

Lets go one step further, suppose you are married and both you and your wife reside in your country of origin and getting close to retirement. . . . . . . Would you and your wife ever consider of moving to the Philippines?

Maybe you would move someplace in your own country to be closer to your children or grand children, maybe you would move for health reasons, maybe moving to be out of the rat race, maybe moving for a better climate or other reasons.

Now when my wife & I were living in the Southwest, during the winter months we would see Snow Birds and when the season change to Spring these Snow Birds would drive their motor homes back north.

So I'm thinking people would be giving up so much by moving to the Philippines. . . . Why not try to make it work in their own country?
@Cherryann01

When I watched the you tube video of retiring in Argentina I only saw the one, just caught my eye, so I checked it out and it does have a lot of appeal. Rather than a tropical environment, Argentina is similar to the UK with four distinct seasons (Not sure about Patagonia). The video I watched also mentioned that like the UK, free Health Care is available to all, including Ex Pats (It did recommend taking out private medical insurance though). All in all it looked like a good place to retire.

Yes just an addendum to my above post. Despite the Falklands war Argentinians love the Brits. Many streets in the capital have British names, they even had red telephone boxes before mobiles were introduced and many fashion outlets have 'London' in their name. Like the Philippines the people are very friendly. Currently the Argentinian Peso is in freefall (thank you Ms Kirchner) and if you exchange your greenbacks on the black market you will think the Philippines is expensive.

Hasta La Vista!

coach 53 said: Spain I skiped because it can be 200 meters deep to reach water in own well

I would just call up the water company and have the water on.
Stop it Bob - I've just had breakfast1f923.svg1f602.svg1f923.svg
@whackerdog123 Thank you very much for your comments, I find them very useful and you have certainly given me something to think about and maybe renewed energy and clearer vision. Such a detailed and interesting reply certainly does deserve a little bit of background information so here it is.

I currently live in the UK, up north near a city called Bradford. I am 60 years old with a nineteen year old English daughter from a previous marriage (To a lady from Ukraine). We were married for nearly seventeen years before we divorced. MY English daughter is currently at home with her mum because she is on holiday from University. I have been to the Philippines five times before, the first visit was in May 2018 and the most recent May 2022. I have had three previous relationships with Filipino women before my current girlfriend but each one did not work out. (Non I consider to be because of me although I guess nobody is ever completely blameless). My current girlfriend comes from Manticao, Mindanao. She had two boys before I met her who will be 12 and 13 now, I think. I have been to see her twice and we have a lovely daughter who is two and a half years old. Each time I go to the Philippines, I tend to go for 2 or 3 weeks because of commitments in the UK but my current relationship seems strong. My girlfriend does have a house and a small shop, selling the basics. She also has plans to Open a Internet Cafe and she has just bought herself a vehicle. Although she is not rich, she does get by fairly comfortably.

I have also travelled quite a bit and seen a few countries, the latest being Vietnam, a stop off on my way back to the UK from my last visit. I am seriously questioning if the Philippines is the right place for me. Maybe I got things the wrong way around by finding a woman first, I would like to spend my retirement with her and my daughter.

One more problem I face and I do know this is not an issue for some members of this forum but the Island of Manticao also brings it's own issues. Mainly that the UK, US and Australian Foreign Office all advise against going to most of it either for all or all but essential travel. This obviously is because of the terrorist threat and although there must be good reasons why the alert is still in place, terrorist attacks have happened in the UK and other European Countries and there are no warnings for going to them. I myself have never had any issues in the Philippines. I have been to Davao, Cagayan De Oro and travelled around there a bit and also been to Cebu for a few days and Tacloban. I hope on future visits to find somewhere I like. So far Davao is the best I have seen. One other point about Mindanao, although I am willing to take the chance going there, I would like for my English daughter to accompany me on one trip to meet her half sister and I am not prepared to take even the smallest risk so maybe we will have to meet up in maybe Cebu or Manila.

When you mention corruption in the context you did, I have to so that I never linked that and the red tape so your observation that you could get things done with the help of a few corrupt system made me think of it in a different light. Like you, I can make it work for me for the price of a couple of pizzas.

The food would also be a big problem for me, I know that much already and I know I do not have to eat rice 3 times a day but when I referred to doing that in another post, I meant without causing anybody any more work or having to pay substantially more just to eat a decent breakfast. I love my fruit and raspberries, Grapefruit and strawberries are all right up there as my favourites. So breakfast for me could be fruit and a flavoured yogurt, poached eggs on toast, toast with a decent jam, full English or maybe Weetabix. Weetabix and raspberries, I know cost way more than here, bacon is fatty and not good quality, I never found decent bread or any flavoured yogurts, just the plain ones and that is just breakfast. I do like Mango and Tuna so there is a start I guess.

Anyhow, you have given me a lot of food for thought and for that, I thank you. Enjoy your life over there and I wish you all the best.

@Enzyte Bob A simple answer to that one Bob. Like I said before in another post, I was married before, the solicitors managed to get 45% of my main pension for my ex so doing some calculations, I would not have a very comfortable retirement here in the UK. There is also now my Filipino girlfriend and daughter to consider. Believe me, if I had the choice and enough cash, I would look to move us all elsewhere.

Noice
Concerning noice coming from humans and their animals, that can be SOLVED just by living far enough from them. The minimum distance can be shortened by having something sound reducing in betweeen as a forest,
But LOCK UP to not chose to settle at a location close to a noicy e g monkey group   :)

coach 53 said: Spain I skiped because it can be 200 meters deep to reach water in own well

I would just call up the water company and have the water on.
- @Enzyte Bob
You go on proving you - and your supporters - are stupid, but you are very good at writing BS posts   :D
I have told many times I want to live faaaaaar from neighbours, so it would be even more far from  water companies... 
At one real estate I thought a bit if buying, there would I have become the "water company" by that real estate had a a covered spring to where neighbours came and fetched water too  (which made I didnt like it because I dont want people come to my land except for special occations.)
I find this post useful. I'm considering our next move next June 2023.
Phils or back to the States are the considerations.
I've never been to Phils. Just the States and my current South Africa residence. I'm due for a move next June 2023.
I'm 72 y/o with a much younger Filipina. Both of us are professionals - she a Civil Engineer with me a PhD ( Economist).
With these inputs one is likely to strongly consider returning to the North Central Region of the States. This is her preference, which I was also considering. However, the inputs from everybody else to Cherryann01 are spot on, coming as they do from experts in situ.

Thank you Cherryann01 for prodding cerebral faculties on this important topic.

Corruption remains a mess. No justifying it however apparently enabling. Two pizzas or several hundred millions of dollars, so-called ‘success fee', on an aerodynamic contract. Unfortunately, it's a way of life couched in various guises, including in corporate tender bids.

I wouldn't fault Phils for being tropical. Phils is located in a tropical geographic area. Period. The humidity that accompanies tropical environments is not of the doing  of Phils. Act of God.
I thank the inputs relating to this humidity. I wouldn't wanna live in a humid climate that stifles my breathing. One needs to easily breathe despite not being asthmatic, let alone when one is unfortunately  asthmatic.

Folk eating rice three times a day: is it because of the abundance and affordability of rice? Coupled with pervasive poverty?
Again, thanks to Cherryann01 for this timely ( for me) post.
I find this post useful. I'm considering our next move next June 2023.
Phils or back to the States are the considerations.
I've never been to Phils. Just the States and my current South Africa residence. I'm due for a move next June 2023.
I'm 72 y/o with a much younger Filipina. Both of us are professionals - she a Civil Engineer with me a PhD ( Economist).
With these inputs one is likely to strongly consider returning to the North Central Region of the States. This is her preference, which I was also considering.

Corruption remains a mess. No justifying it however apparently enabling. Two pizzas or several hundred millions of dollars, so-called ‘success fee', on an aerodynamic contract. Unfortunately, it's a way of life couched in various guises, including in corporate tender bids.
- @aerotoolkitr
For EMPLOYMEMENT of your WIFE is USA much better than Phils,
while economists have possibility to work from ANYWHERE through internet (as e g I have done many years).

BUT potentials for BUSINESS and INVESTMENTS are much better in PHILIPPINES.  (I mean if knowing what you are doing :)  and I suppouse you do by you are economist.) Specialy if having capital, which is valued much higher than work in Phils when counting shares. 
(E g in Phils its common with "Harvest sharing". Depending of e g how work intensive the project is but for rice its common farmer provide land and work while finansiere pay the costs EXCEPT the work.  (In some deals pay the financiere some in advance though for work.)  Common deal is financiere get money back plus 25 - 33 % of the rest.  (In the best (rare) cases have the harvests been so good so investort almost doubled the money in 4 months, but harvests cam fail too. 
An other example is a Filipina, who called me and was sad because she had lost around 45 000p by giving credfit for LIVING costs to people who disapeared without paying her.  I asked her a question to make her understand how to judge risks plus recomended her to only get clients who will EARN by her financing. She followed that and after a while sher only needed to work 2 - 4 days per monhs collecting her shares   :)  spending other time to travel and visit family and friends.)

If offering an American to finance for a 30 % share and he doing all work, he would probably say "No way"
while if offer a Filipino a 50 - 50 such deal they say "YIPPIE!"     :)

Perhaps you can COMBINE your skills and start a business in Phils in which your wife's skills would be needed?   Phils is sure short of skilled Engineers...  Its an other question if you can find enough of interesting paying customers. Some such can be solved though by KNOWLEDGE and better equipment making own business much more effective than competition and by that earn GOOD from just normal in Phils low paying customers...

(E g  in the businesses I have started in one very few Filipino OWNERS of such businesses know an important handling!!! sSo they get bad production - and want to sell their businmesses to e g me cheap  :)   (One bought. Will probably buy more and merge them.)   An other  production method I know function in other countries we are starting testing if it functions it Phils climate too to see if it functions good in Phils too. IF it does,, we can for a TINY equipment investment produce 3000 at same time competitions produce 100 - 400...
In our other business my business partner is in progress making a modified production equipment.  (They are common but most are built wrong, so we build one from scatch.)  IF it functions in Phils humid air, we can produce top quality much cheaper than the competition.  If so we can even beat the cheapest chinese prices, which are 30 % lower than the cheapest I have seen in Phils, and earning good still. We are starting a small "test manufactory" now and if the modified equipment functions good we will exband it and invest in much faster machinery than them we test with.
While a third type of business we will probably NOT start because competition services ask CRAZY low prices, so we will probably just do such services for our own businesses IF we buy the equipment we concider buying just because the asked price is very cheap. And it would suit to the other businesses.)

- -
Not as high as in Phils, but corruption is high in USA too  :)  compared to e g Northwest Europe.
@coach53

I have told many times I want to live faaaaaar from neighbours, so it would be even more far from  water companies... 

I really don't think you have too much to worry about from neighbours - word travels fast in the Philippines
@coach53

I really don't think you have too much to worry about from neighbours - word travels fast in the Philippines
- @Lotus Eater

Yeh and he is in Sweden, that's some gap from the Philippines Water Company
@coach53

- @Lotus Eater
Was that coment suppoused to be intelligent?   :D

Inspite of you have claimed I am often wrong about Phils,

how come you have NEVER managed to correct me...? 1f923.svg

Depends on what you want in retirement. Are you married, single, have children, want children, your age, sex and wants in life. If married, is your wife a Filipina who misses her family? With the new Social Security rules now paying benefits to overseas born children of recipients, the Philippines is way more attractive to the single older man.
- @Lat61

Is this an American benefit, the Social Security payments to overseas born children of recipients?

@Cherryann01 Yes Social Security is for Americans who qualify only.

You also need to take into account if you have children.  Disease and lack of proper medical care is a nightmare.  Education system doesn't meet minimum international standards either.  It adds alot of stress to living in a third world country.  I would have no issues with living in the Philippines if I didn't have children.  But I have two now and we will be leaving as soon as my wife finishes college.  My friend is about to have a baby and is also planning to leave after bearing witness to my experiences with my children.  Notice those that hype living in a third world country never mention children. 

@coach53 said. . . .I have told many times I want to live faaaaaar from neighbours, so it would be even more far from  water companies... 

I'm sure the neighbors appreciated this.

@wrevans02

Valid points about children.  Private schools are the answer, and not expensive, but means living in a larger city. Kept me in Cebu for several years but worth it. Also the medical, dental are all better. By the way, a few medium sized cities like Dumaguete have care and schools that meet western standards also.

But your point is well taken and it does limit one's options.
You also need to take into account if you have children.  Disease and lack of proper medical care is a nightmare.  Education system doesn't meet minimum international standards either.  It adds alot of stress to living in a third world country.  I would have no issues with living in the Philippines if I didn't have children.  But I have two now and we will be leaving as soon as my wife finishes college.  My friend is about to have a baby and is also planning to leave after bearing witness to my experiences with my children.  Notice those that hype living in a third world country never mention children. 
- @wrevans02
Well.  A friend of mine moved back to Sweden because of geting better education to his children (but ended up with his Filipina wife did show her true crap side, left both my friend and their kids 1f621.svg for a Swede she THOUGHT had much money, but he only lived AS IF he had, so he had big DEPTS  1f923.svg1f923.svg1f923.svg  So my friend raised the five children by himself alone.
BUT there are HUGE differences between Swedish and American schools:
/Danger.  School shootings and schools need to check the students with metal detectors!!!  Thats WORSE than Philippine schoolls... Sweden have NONE such.  (The closest in Sweden is one stabbed.)
/Post highschool education. In Sweden such cost almost nothing so everyone, who qualify, can get such, while in USA many cant afford and many parents put themselves in big depts...    In Phils they have programs with combinations of study and work so even the poorest can finance themselves.. (E g I know a Filipino SQUATTER, who got two exams by that.) But I admit USA have better education than Phils   :)   but NOT the best in the world as some Americans believe!  (At least UK have better and based on how litle knowledge to many Americans show about language and the rest of the world, USA is faaaar from second best...)

((I have SOLVED this for myself allready in Phils, If I get any children.
1. Get a clever wife  :)  to make it probable the kids get it as easy in school as I, (I almost didnt need to do any homework during Elementary school, got good grades anyway.)
2. I have found a good elementary teacher in Phils - who CAN count percent   :)    and kind of prepared requiting her  :)  (Her dream is to get a bit own land to live at in the municipaly where I have such , she grew up in city but have relatives there.)
3. If not get solved as in p2, I had prepared allready kids go to the closest school to get local friends, but get homeschooling 1 - 2 days of the week to fill the gaps WITHOUT they need to spend more time than the others.
4. As soon as kids have learned to read, they can learn most subjects by themselves anyway if they are interested, if just get access to info, as I have done much.
5.  Good if the wife has business mind too to add chance kids will want to have own business or work in the family business, which I have started allready without having as family  1f923.svg    Then the kids DONT NEED any high EXAMS, which EMPLOYERS demand, while own businesses need KNOWLEDGE, which can be recieved OTHER ways.  (I went to college one semester but SKIPPED, because I found them teaching to slow  :)   I bought ONE of the books but didnt read it, managed by just listen to the lections. One of the subjects I skipped DIRECT when I saw the course DIDNT include the best method !!!(which I had learned tyears earlier, even before it was published by my gf back then was involved in making the tests. Instead of going to school I did study some subjects by myself without teacher and made the grade tests for wholer courses direct.  (E g a Busiiness economy course others read 3 YEARS I did read 18 HOURS.) As kid I planned to become lawyer but changed my mind when I thought of its demanded to wear tie   :)   (which it was back then) and chosed to aim at starting own business instead.  Registered one allready in High school age and started an other full timer at age 24, when I had saved to start capital.)
The reason I started thinking of starting any business in Phils at retire age, was to make so wife and kids have something to earn by "for ever" after I am dead (by teaching them to handle things themselves step be step when I retire step by step.) And the kids can get work in the family business without needing exams:)

Summary:
If being interested - as soon as can read, most subjects can be learned self if have access to info.
If having own business, then no exams are needed (except if needing a licence demanding such) just needing knowledge.

And as can be seen to often, high exams cant cure stupity anyway...  :)

@coach53 said. . . .I have told many times I want to live faaaaaar from neighbours, so it would be even more far from  water companies... 

I'm sure the neighbors appreciated this.

- @Enzyte Bob
Well.  Sure people as YOU appreciate it by they can avoid being shown stupid when they claim the opposite  :D
BUT IF that would be true - How come many Filipinos LIKE to be "My private news service" in several years WITHOUT geting any pay...?

People I like, like me,
while crap people dont like me by I SHOW how much crap they are...  :D

So you are WRONG as usual...
Private schools are the answer, and not expensive, but means living in a larger city. Kept me in Cebu for several years but worth it. Also the medical, dental are all better. By the way, a few medium sized cities like Dumaguete have care and schools that meet western standards also.
- @pnwcyclist
Yes. Dumaguete is known for higher education - and retired expats   :)

If you assist your kids with own business, they dont need any high exams.  (Except if they want to become something, which demand exam to get demanded licence.)

Most Filipinos with high exams just get LOW paid employments anyway - if they even get any in Phils. Many examed are forced to become  OFW to get work...  (E g many nurses.)

((No way I would accept living in any city again. I did grew up in Stockholm, but left high paid employment as soon as I had saved a bit start capital to start own business. 
(Except if bad health would force me, but then I would probably solve it by living OUTSIDE a city with good health care  :)   There are nice rural places rather short outside e g Cebi city e g rather flat land in the "mountains".
Btw - if it wouldnt be to get friends - and for sport activities, not as fun to play e g basketball single  1f923.svg - and to meet girls  :)    -  I would find home schooling full time much better.

((Myself I could count and read BEFORE I started Elementary school, NOT by my parents drilled me, they didnt at all, it was I, who ASKED them things I wanted to learn. And when I could read, I could learn most other subjects by myself. Big part of Elementary school was WASTING TIME by often I had to sit and wait at the others, specily in math where teacher didnt let me be more than two chapters ahead so I spend much Elementary school time making "cars" of erasers and thumbtacks.  They didnt even let me read anything else!!!  Extreemly booooring.))

Booring is the NORMAL in Elementary schools. Kids start school eager to learn - and soon they lost interest by most teachers MAKE it booringl And some demanded ARE realy booring. E g I like history subject but so what if a king died 1767 or 1765...?
But a few teachers werent booring. E g a teacher in chemistry. He did experiments as:
-Different chemicals can neutralice each other. E g salpeter acid can be neutraliced by strong alcalic, said and put a finger in salpeter acid. But I use my pinky finger in case it would fail  :)
An other time.
-Now I cant restrain myself any longer, he said and started mixing some chemicals together, climbed out the window to the roof of the aula and it became a big cloud in shape as an atomic bomb but green. When he climbed back in he said:
-Last time I did such, a neighbour phoned the fire department...

BUT there is a very good Elementary school in Denmark where a group of teachers have split the subjects between themselves and the kids can walk between ANYTIME they want,  Each period start with a teacher read a novel to inspire the kids to WANT to learn something related. Then the kids tell what they want to learn and teachers put together whats expected of each kid to have got done in time during these two weeks. Then each KID decide which order they want to do things. It could ber expected an 8yo would chose drawing first, but alnost all went to LIBRAR/ first!  1f44d.svg1f44d.svg1f44d.svg     E g one small kid wondered how metal ships can float, so they learned Archimedes princip that young! 
And each kid put "grades" at HIMSELF.  Perhaps would be expected everyone would put Excellent but e g one small kid said:
-This part I did good, but this part I didnt prepare enough...
And older kids assisted the younger VOLONTARINGLY and that school have no mobbing 1f44d.svg1f44d.svg1f44d.svg

Some good Swedish teachers financed THEMSELVES to go to that Danish school 1f44d.svg but I believe it ended up with NOTHING by stupid head masters, National school department and politicans making more and more idiotic school system.  A friend of mine is among the best math and physic teachers in Sweden say the National school department too, but he is very frustrated at all crap he is forced to waste time at making it impossible to teach as good as he want to,  inspite of he work extra and get burned out by it.
(It was similar crap back when I were substitute teacher a short period between quit an employment and started own business. Instead of copy how I did so the students liked school again, the teachers got grumpy when their students got jelous..)

@Cherryann01 Ok, thanks for the nice response, I appreciate it.  Terrorism, yes it's definitely possible with the Islamic extremists situated in Mindanao, but in the US you can get shot repeatedly at a school or a McDonalds, so.  Also, if you do your research, you will see that it's not so rampant as the Phils govt would like you to believe.   The govt here doesn't take kindly to any thoughts that oppose their ideology so they would consider anyone who opposes them terrorists.  I kept asking my wife when I first arrived here why they have guards checking vehicles for bombs at the malls and inspecting peoples purses and back packs upon entering the malls.  She replied "prevention is better than the cure" and then I asked "how many bombings have there been at the malls or anywhere in Cebu" and the replied "none that I know of".  People here give up their civil liberties for fear.  I understand, I really do, but I don't like it!  In regards to food, they have lots of flavored yogurt..are you kidding?  I've bought strawberry, mango, peach, raspberry to name a few, also they have good bread if you know where to look and what brand to buy.  I like wheat bread, but usually it's really dry, but there is a brand of wheat bread called Ichipan that is awesome.  Furthermore, they have lots of different kinds of jam as well, but like I wrote in my previous post, quality food here is about the same as it is in the US, not inexpensive.  Affordable, but again, not inexpensive.  Anyway, it sounds as though you've been to the Phils enough to make an informed decision so good luck with your decision.  One last thing.  The obstinacy here is suffocating to say the least and the customer service.  I'm sorry, what customer service.  Most stores, and I mean like at the malls and such, have the most horrific customer service ever.  I asked on many occasions about if they carried an item and the most popular response from any clerks is "no stocks" even though when I walked around the isle, I would find the item I was searching for!  I know the reason for this.  These clerks get paid a pittance, so why bother knowing about the products in the store.  If the employers here payed the employees a little more money, they wouldn't huddle in groups of 5 or more in the store doing absolutely nothing but shooting the BS.  Anyway, however annoying things can be, I still enjoy living here.  Again, good luck!

An important consideration as to why I moved to my current backwater province has all to do with my better halves overall happiness ...here even with our age gap being >25-30yrs our relationship/living together is not 'frowned' upon by her family nor relatives as I feel I have taken excellent care of her & the kids and provided well for them compared to how they used to live.
Infact many poor province locals here actually  prefer/encourage their young daughters to find stable senior expats like me. 1f60e.svg
However if I were to bring them back home (she infact was actually living with me for more than 5yrs in my home country while I was gainfully employed. She had to take her regular flights in/out of the country each time just to be with me which was indeed a stressful affair) ...she never really liked it nor the stressful lifestyle I lived but enjoyed the time we spent indoors (excellent food/Wifi/aircon/Super clean/Super Efficient/Sorry NO Karoke though). She's just a simple/sexy province girl who only wants to be near her loved ones/family so any other better developed country the family/friend relationships would be minimal to non-existant as many may not look at us in the same light as here & would have nothing at all good to say about our relationship even with our kids around... that's the way it is.
As for our kids I'd rather see them blend in with the locals/speak their language and build their own relationships...Our kids already speak better English and are better behaved than any of their relatives/friends (their very own parents keep telling us)...so I guess that's a good start.
They are indeed v.happy here (Me not so much) & moving them away from here back home or somewhere else is totally out of the question. ....The benefit they would have by staying right here would also mean me not having to face any further financial stress nor where they have no friends/family to fall back on/talk to/play with. I have already made provisions for them to be able to set up a business with my capital injection/House/Insurance benefits for them should I pass that I'm sure would give all of them a good headstart in life here.

Most stores, and I mean like at the malls and such, have the most horrific customer service ever.  I asked on many occasions about if they carried an item and the most popular response from any clerks is "no stocks" even though when I walked around the isle, I would find the item I was searching for!  I know the reason for this.  These clerks get paid a pittance, so why bother knowing about the products in the store.  If the employers here payed the employees a little more money, they wouldn't huddle in groups of 5 or more in the store doing absolutely nothing but shooting the BS.  Anyway, however annoying things can be, I still enjoy living here.  Again, good luck!

- @whackerdog123
Very ineffective as much are in Phils...

Stupidity by BOTH employers and employees.
Stupid to have bad attitude by, if employers arent stupid, its hard for bad attitude employees to get work
and stupid to MAKE employees get have bad attitude  - if they didnt have it allready and why employ them if they had it   :)

Many employers have a very stupid employment system. 2 year contracts and then they end ALL, and get in a new bunch... So not odd employees in such places have bad attitude.
Even worse are the employers, who have put in system to have staff at 6 months "test period" but then NOT employ any of them, because there is a stupid tax/fees rule which made that cost a bit less, BUT they dont think of the replacement process and teaching the new cost too...

(We do the opposite, picking people with good attitude and pay them some more than they are used to to keep them in that mood. On top of that, when possible we give them offers how much they will be paid for finnishing something UNDEPENDING of how fast they finnish, so the good workers can earn rather much more per hour. E g Monday a work will start, which I believe will take two good workers 1 week to finnish, but we pay them as if it would take two weeks.)

whackerdog123 said:

I asked on many occasions about if they carried an item and the most popular response from any clerks is "no stocks" even though when I walked around the isle, I would find the item I was searching for!  I know the reason for this.  These clerks get paid a pittance, so why bother knowing about the products in the store.  If the employers here payed the employees a little more money, they wouldn't huddle in groups of 5 or more in the store doing absolutely nothing but shooting the BS.  Anyway, however annoying things can be, I still enjoy living here.  Again, good luck!

I agree with many of your with your assessments, but I've had excellent customer service, it may have changed since covid-19. I'm in the Manila area, with trips to big name stores in the mall, it seemed the service was overkill. Especially in Ace Hardware, lots of customer service people, too many if you like to browse around.

When I've purchased things that were packaged (small appliances) they would open the box and inspect it, one time they checked a remote doorbell to see if it works and when I bought an electric fan, they plugged it in. I find customer service in larger retail business in the states very poor.

Generally retail customer service people are all paid poorly in the US/Philippines.

Do you miss . . . . . . .

Cleanup in aisle five.

Attention K Mart shoppers today's Blue Plate Special is:

If it's not in Aisle two, we don't have it.

For food and diet, I met and married my Filipino wife in the states. So we always had an Americanized diet,  when she had Filipino friends over she would have Philippine dishes for them.

Now that we live in NCR (National Capitol Region) with her family, I still get mostly my American diet while the rest of the family (wife, stepsons, daughter in law, housekeeper) have Filipino meals.

My American diet is only limited on what's available at S&R or Lander's, so my meals are expensive.

Now when it comes to sweet pasta, I love it. My wife likes the Hunts Tomato products (sauce and paste). Also while the rest of the family eats Spaghetti, my pasta is Fusilli (miniature Rigatoni).  I suppose the reason for Filipino nationals are using hot dogs in their spaghetti because it's cheaper and more available than ground 80/20 beef imported ground beef.   

I miss my Angus ground beef and my cold cuts on onion rolls with Land of Lakes Cheese.

I also miss Ham & Cheese Hoagies & Steak Hoagies while watching Sunday afternoon football.

Good customer service seems very hard to find in Filipino restaurants. I have found on more than one occasion that the waiter or waitress does not know which items are not available from the menu. So for example, if you are a party of five or six, you each order your meals which the waiter or waitress will write down and take away to the kitchen. Then about five minutes later they come back to say, this item is not available so you have to select something else. I have also found that rather than bringing all the meals out together, there can be a gap, maybe up to 20 minutes from the first meal arriving at the table to the last. Not my idea of dining out.