Pig farm starting up in Philippines

Could anyone give me some more info on pig far

Hello renegadesric529,

In which region of the Philippines are you considering starting your pig farm?

Do you already have a specific area in mind?

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

@Cheryl

im on farm near burgos pangasinanan

started with 3 heads now 11 and 2 pregnant also

question how many injections do piglets need

@renegadesric529

You need pig and a place to park them.

Also invastigate to Baranguy to see if the pig farming is possible in your place because of the smell and noise.

It is difficult and with the flu many people have lost their baboy...

I have done it and stop it.

@longdive

i am going to live on a farm so noise and smell ok

would it be wise to stay a small business incase of loss

I did it in Cebu.....bought 6 piglets, 45 days old, for 4000 each......now about to sell 5 of the pigs for about 25000 each at the market......the price for live weight at most markets is now 220 per kilo.

Your biggest cost is the food.

Just keep them clean and healthy and you will make some money.

@AussieLUVPhilippines

We run four sows presently. We do our own artificial insemination using PIC boar semen from local distributor here in Argao, Cebu. We believe in high quality breeding and feed. Currently we have 11 piglets weaned about three weeks ago and being fattened. Another sow delivered 13 piglets last week. And in about three weeks we expect two more deliveries from sows. We'll probably sell 20 piglets and fatten the rest. Our space isn't large enough for 40 fatteners and 4 sows.

Our last batch of 20 sold to meat shop with avg hanging weight of 102.5 kg @ 255 per KG. We did well.

I keep records of every sack of feed, every vitamin shot, or vaccine. I track labor costs weekly as well. Raising from birth is obviously the more profitable way to go. But quality of breeds is also important. We don't do backyard breeding with random boars, and then make sows. You can't achieve the best success rate doing that.

@renegadesric529

Sir it depends on your financial situation and available land and experience to a large degree.

Let me just share something that's going on in our little area here in the province.

We have a friend that to our surprise got involved with a piggery startup on some relatives land a couple km away. The "financier" is his cousin in Canada, and she is making all the decisions from there and telling them what she wants. They have a piggery "manager" that claims great knowledge. 1f913.svg This is where the first and 2nd problems start. We'll call the financier "Canada" as a reminder where she is.

They built the piggery and bought 120 piglets to fatten. Canada wanted all feed to be organically made in house. So they bought many tons of corn, soy, etc. And mixed the same ratio of whatever from piglet size to disposal/harvest time.

At 5+ months of age, they finally looked for a buyer, I gave them some guidance. They got a buyer for liveweight. They sold all 120 fatteners and after feed cost and labor made just over 200,000 php profit.

We made more than that with TWENTY fatteners!

I had a long meeting with our friend to offer guidance. What happened? They bought another 115 fatteners, and more corn! And pulled 6 out of the 115 to make into sows. With zero knowledge of what breeds and bloodline is behind them. No knowledge of sows, boars, etc. Basically repeating the same mistakes over again.

They have no concern for Canada when they won't refuse to "do it wrong". Canada is constantly sending money, 200,000 php at a crack. The result of this could likely be typical of so many that just "JUMP IN" to pig farming without learning.

So yea, go slow imho.

renegadesrice529 asked. . . .

Could anyone give me some more info on pig farm?

Yes,

There was an Expat who asked the same question sometime ago.

(1) This Expat was successful starting a pig farm.

(2) He started with nothing

(3) Years later he still had something of nothing left.

(4) He is not on this forum anymore.       

@Larry Fisher

Hi Larry, do you have any tips on the feeding?

I tried 5 pigs with my friend and her family. We are about to sell on Facebook (because the markets are too busy scheduling a lot of pigs at this time)...hoping to get 200 per kilo , even then Ive hardly made much........

The feed was crazy, bag after sack, after sack, after bag.........starters, growers and then finishers.

I tried mixing some TAHOP and milled corn towards the end, it reduced the costs by 20%.....but thats about it.

Perhaps i should have linked up with local farms somehow and got bulk ??? to make feeds?

Any intel would be great.....

@AussieLUVPhillipines

i have 11 pigs now and 2 pregnant so when i arrive in july possibly 25+ my gf father has farm so plenty space to grow business

would it be better just to stay small to start with and see how it pans out