Advise about getting married in Nigeria

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting here. I hope you can help me to advise me about marriage with a Nigerian man.

i'm currently living in Mexico and he lives in Nigeria, we had this relationship for about two years now, are you already busy Nigeria but I wish you could tell me in your experience more about marriage with the Nigerian.

And also, if you know any tips about dresses and everything that would be great for me

@Claudia Itzel Romero

its a beautiful experience because of the rich culture from food to dress to people to colors on your big day  . wishing you the best of luck 

I married a Nigerian and live in Nigeria.  It's difficult for people to advise you as everyone's experiences are different.

Depends on whether you plan to join him jin Nigeria or the other way around.

Congratulations on your engagement Claudia.

I will answer the second part of your question about dresses.

I own and run a bridal business in Lagos since 2016 and can help you with questions in that aspect.

Moderated by Cheryl 2 months ago
Reason : Advertising
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello Claudia Itzel Romero,

Welcome to Expat.com  1f600.svg

A few years ago, I had the chance to have my wedding in Nigeria, and I must say, it was an unforgettable experience, from the delicious food to the vibrant culture. For the ceremony, I had the opportunity to wear two different dresses - a classic white gown for the wedding (outdoor ceremony) and a traditional Yoruba attire for the reception.

The formalities went smoothly for me, but it is worth noting that the experience may vary depending on the location of your wedding. Mine took place in Ikoyi, Lagos. It is important to get an apostilled wedding certificate from the foreign affairs office which typically takes about one to two weeks.

Regarding attire, for the registry, couples usually opt for either traditional or formal outfits (such as a white dress for the bride and a suit and tie for the groom). Both partners need to agree on the style beforehand.

As for dress tips, it is essential to consider the groom's tribe, as each has its own unique style. Once you have this information, platforms like Pinterest can be helpful for exploring trendy wedding attire ideas.

I wish you all the best,

Cheryl

Expat.com team