Duty question on vehicle transfer Kenya

Hi all, I hope you can help.

My wife is currently purchasing a motor vehicle in Kenya, and is about to accept the vehicle on TIMS. We have noticed that on the logbook next to Duty, the logbook says 'FREE'. The vehicle was registered in 1996 in Kenya, and is a Toyota Land Cruiser. I understand that it has changed hands a number of times since its registration, including being sold to people who are not eligible for a duty free purchase.

We have asked the previous owner about this; he is unclear as to why the logbook appears as such. I had understood that it isn't possible to purchase a vehicle which is duty free without paying the duty, but it appears that this vehicle has changed hands before more than once. Our mechanic tells us that there is a glitch in the NTSA system and that this has occurred with other vehicles as well.

Does anyone have an answer as to what the issue might be?

Thank you in advance!

@richardbnunn my advice to you is to check everything yourself or by registered third party company. Also you can walk into any insurance company and do the search on the car. There is a lot of scamming in Kenya when it comes to cars. Also you can get help from a company called..RUTHLESS FOCUS. they have YouTube channel.Maybe you will get the contact number on their website.

Regards

Kuldip

@kuldipkenya thank you for this. As far as I can see there isn't an issue with the ownership of the car or the registration - I have done a search on TIMS, the logbook we have is consistent with the record on TIMS and with the chassis and engine numbers on the car. The question is  more how to find out if duty has been paid on the car, as it is unusual for an old car to have a duty free status when it has normal Kenyan plates and has changed hands several times since registration in 1996.

I have written to KRA - they said they need the entry number for the vehicle to be able to say if duty has been paid. Their system was down when they replied to me, so they referred me to NTSA. Two hours standing in various lines followed by a discussion with the most unhelpful person I have met in many years of dealing with government offices, NTSA said I have to wait for the KRA system to be up again.

Any other advice? Thanks again :)