Is Iloilo the new Dumaguete?

I have never visited this city located on the southern portion of Panay Island. However the more I hear about it the more I'm attracted to it. A clean city with decent infrastructure, a selection of good malls, minimal power cuts, pedestrian & bicycle friendly. Taxis readily available. A selection of excellent condos. Some great beaches not too far away also. Small number of expats lol.

Paul at Worldzoom who recently did a video is moving there and from what I hear Paul ‘Old dog new tricks' is tempted.

I myself am planning on spending 3 months of the British winter in the Philippines moving forward and this city seems to tick all the boxes. By the sound of things I won't have to get a visa extension either :)

Would be interested to hear of anyone who has visited this city of half a million souls.

I have seen a couple of videos on this place and it looks like a clean, almost European city with plenty of things to do and see. The videos I watched showed wide pavements to walk on with plenty of green spaces, nice restaurants and the city did look good in the evening when lit up.

One of the videos I watched was titled - Foreigners Find Out Ilollo is Very Modern, Will We Move here and was dated 7 Aug 22. They are a Canadian couple and have done a few videos of the city under the name - That Philippines Life.

I was in Iloilo City last month as I toured several cities to decide where I wanted to settle down. I visited Dumaguete, Mactan (Cebu), Davao, and Iloilo for a few days.

What impressed me most about Iloilo was the new Megaworld township called the Iloilo Business Park. All new with a mall, half a dozen high-rise residential towers, a new Convention Center and 5-star hotels. There's also a 9-kilometer esplanade that surrounds the Iloilo river. They say Iloilo is now the cleanest city in the whole country.

If you watch this video from a local expat, you will probably be convinced that it is the place to live...

[link moderated]

[link moderated]

I have lived here for 9 months and enjoy it here.

Any place minus the Ytubers should be OK, as soon as these idiots shove there faces on top of a town , like what's happened to Dumaguete,  it's the beginning of the end.

Any place minus the Ytubers should be OK, as soon as these idiots shove there faces on top of a town , like what's happened to Dumaguete, it's the beginning of the end.
-@@Crane10

Yes that irony has not passed me by.

@@Crane10 I agree. Especially with that Paul world zoom who's a fraud and an ex con. Convicted in the States for embezzlement and spent years in prison. Be aware.

jakeat said . . . . agree. Especially with that Paul world zoom who's a fraud and an ex con. Convicted in the States for embezzlement and spent years in prison. Be aware.

Regarding Paul world zoom. . . . He made the rounds of several Filipino Youtubers.

He is slick, amiable and personable. He could have been the ultimate conman, his real error was wasting his talents on the Philippines when there are bigger fools and bigger paydays elsewhere.

@@Crane10 I agree. Especially with that Paul world zoom who's a fraud and an ex con. Convicted in the States for embezzlement and spent years in prison. Be aware.
-@jakeqt

That indeed is a surprising revelation. Of all the You tubers out there his character came over as veritable. I've always said that nothing is ever quite what it seems in the Philippines and that goes as much for the expats as well as the natives on these islands.

This exposé (if thats not too strong a word) in my mind does not detract from his informative vlogs and I would encourage newbie potential expats to watch them.

Better boots on the ground and keep away from expats, Too much gossip (tsismis) from locals and worse expats that want you to sit in a bar with them and B/S to each other,,,, Speaking of the man that always says B/S not seen him for some time now here or another site, B/S his favourite catch phrase, hope he is ok.

Home is where you make and find and little Creedence to YouTube or FB sites.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

jakeqt said . . . Especially with that Paul world zoom who's a fraud and an ex con. Convicted in the States for embezzlement and spent years in prison. Be aware.

Follow-up:

Paul Cardwell was on youtube channel: "Every man has a story". The channel has now apologize after an investigation of this convicted felon (Paul David Cardwell). See the initial post and then the followup.

Do a Google search: AP News Paul Cardwell, interesting read.

I just read an article going back to Aug 14 saying that this bloke even ratted on one of his cell mates. I am not trying to defend criminals here but this guy Paul is a complete scum bag in my opinion.

The problem with this Paul Cardwell (world zoom) is that he has not reformed. After his US$1.7 million swindle in the US, he moved to Thailand and committed several real estate scams there. He hasn't changed - still a liar and a fraudster, so I hope he never moves to iloilo. He should be deported by the BI (Bureau of Immigration) as an Undesirable Alien.

Paul is currently being detained by BI in Cebu awaiting extradition to the U.S. Could this be double jeopardy? He did serve time for his fraud against the Wyoming hospital.

I've only been to Dumaguete once but it seems chalk and cheese to compare it to Ilo Ilo. Ilo Ilo is like a smaller Manila, Cebu or Davao. I would compare the Ilo Ilo experience to those cities. Dumaguete is much smaller, less developed, more, shall i say, rustic. If someone left Cebu for Dumaguete, then left Dumaguete for Ilo Ilo, I'd wonder why they left Cebu in the first place. Although given their popularity with expats all these places must have their charms

Paul is currently being detained by BI in Cebu awaiting extradition to the U.S. Could this be double jeopardy? He did serve time for his fraud against the Wyoming hospital.

-@FrankTupeloft

Interesting development.I notice he has not done a video for 6 days. Back to Mama's place in Indianapolis?

Paul is such a charmer he probably convinced BI to invest money into his escrow account.