My Vietnamese love story and ensuing heartbreak

While visiting Hanoi in 2011 I met a gorgeous girl, she was smart, charming, affectionate and caring. Her family were also very kind and welcoming. Her family had many businesses and had significant economic means. After a year long courtship and multiple trips to Northern Vietnam I proposed. We were married a few months later. She moved to the US with me, and a year later she gave birth to a handsome boy. She was all along very kind and focused on the family, and I was as well. We had the typical couple disagreements about how to spend vacations or family money and so forth. We never had any loud arguments, and we never exchanged insults between each other.

And then about ten years into our relationship I started to noticed odd details in her behavior. This little things had been there all along but I had never worried about it, perhaps love was blinding me to certain details, or perhaps I could not ring myself to think she may not be as honest and loyal as I had always felt she was. I started paying more attention after some friendships had warned me about her possibly having a relationship outside of our marriage. As soon as I started paying attention everything unraveled very quickly and I found out she had been involved with several men over the years, men which I had met socially and were in our common circle of friends. I also found out she was currently involved with her best friends husband and she had been dating him for quite some time. Once I had enough proof I confronted her, initially she denied but once faced with all the facts I had in my possession she coldly admitted to everything. To my surprise she immediately tried to make me understand that she had always felt forced to be involved with other men due to my character which made her feel unwanted. She also insisted that I needed to get over it and accept that life turns out that way. She also promised she would never do that again. I did not file for divorce right away because I needed time to comprehend what had just happened, to manage my pain and figure out how to reorganize my life with my son. So I proceeded slowly and calmly. She went about daily life as usual. After a few months I presented her with a divorce petition and I left the household. At first she took my decision very hard and refused to accept the reality of what was happening. She fought me again and again to keep the family together, for this I oddly give her credit. However after I insisted for quite sometime she finally agreed. I will not recount what she did after the divorce or who she ended up with because it is irrelevant. The one positive note is that the separation and divorce were mostly peaceful  so our little boy did not have to endure drama and he is as happy as always.

I have purposely kept the above story brief and factual so that it is easy to read. I want to spare the reader  details of my pain and suffering, as well as hers, and the tragedy of a destroyed family. This is also not a judgement on any one person or nationality. It is simply my experience. And the truth be told we were very happy for the duration of our relationship. As she explained sometimes life turns out that way.

If anyone has any specific questions I will be happy to answer.

How old were you and was she when you first met?

I was 36 she was 29

Oh boy!  This story sounds so familiar and it is a common one.  Its called a 7 year itch or something in that nature.

I hope you take some time off and enjoy other things in life first before being committed again.

TT

I actually have no regrets whatsoever, we were happy and we have a handsome boy, the light of my life. She has that character flaw, which is unfortunately quite common, and thats that.

Thank you for sharing your story.  Sometimes, it's therapeutic to speak or write out loud even to strangers.  I commended you for doing so.

I wish you and your boy the best going forward.  When things are broken they will never be the same again despite of efforts in trying to mend them back.  However, that doesn't mean that they won't evolve into something else down the road.  For now just protect yourself so you can provide to your boy in meaningful ways.

Take care.

...To my surprise she immediately tried to make me understand that she had always felt forced to be involved with other men due to my character which made her feel unwanted...So I proceeded slowly and calmly. She went about daily life as usual. After a few months I presented her with a divorce petition and I left the household...
-@vietnamisgreat

That was a cool response...🥶

Please do believe that I have sympathy for what you and she have gone through.

Thank you for sharing as much as you did.

If I imagine her telling the story to me, based upon what you have written, I'd be hearing her say that the lack of affection on your part caused her to look for it elsewhere.

Based on your report of the way that you responded, maybe she made the right choice in not saying something to you beforehand?

You seem to imply that she was wrong; that you'd been sufficiently affectionate?

Without you having given a lot of details, it sounds as if the beginning of your relationship was somewhat commonplace for Vietnam: a foreigner hoping to find the perfect woman encounters someone who meets your every need and desire.

Since you did have the means to take her back to the United States with you and raise a family there together, of course her Vietnamese family was very receptive to you, since you were providing a promise of a better future for their family.

You probably didn't have to work at pleasing her because she totally and completely accepted you as you were, without attempting to remake you significantly.

Not just in Vietnam but all around the world, women can be much more passionate after childbirth and into their mature years, without regard to their attraction to their husband prior to giving birth to children.

So women become even more sexually passionate after childbirth and while raising children, but it's different from the passion she had prior to bearing a child.

Meanwhile, the husband who previously commanded all of her attention--simply by being the man with whom she was parenting children--is no longer fulfilling her growing need to be affirmed as a desirable woman in the eyes of a husband who now relates to her mostly as the mother of their children and a faithful homemaker.

It would be easy for the casual reader to paint her with the Scarlet Letter.

Hopefully someone will read your story and it will guide them to remain attentive to the needs of their wives after childbirth.

Meanwhile, the husband who previously commanded all of her attention--simply by being the man with whom she was parenting children--is no longer fulfilling her growing need to be affirmed as a desirable woman in the eyes of a husband who now relates to her mostly as the mother of their children and a faithful homemaker.
It would be easy for the casual reader to paint her with the Scarlet Letter.

Hopefully someone will read your story and it will guide them to remain attentive to the needs of their wives after childbirth.
-@OceanBeach92107

You should be a psychologist, that's a great evaluation 1f600.svg I personally never form an opinion based on only one side of a two people story. There's always two sides. That being said, for me there's no excuse for cheating. That would be the worst betrayal. I'd rather a woman tell me "we're done, I'm not happy anymore" before she starts cheating. I guess I'm too much of an idealistic!

The moral of this story for me? Sometimes, you just got to be somewhere at the right time and you might get lucky 1f60e.svg

Hello!  I just sent a DM regarding this situation, I have a couple of questions.  Thank you!

Hi, I feel for you and the pain you must have been through and are still having.I also admire your ability  to balance the pain  with the the gift of your beautiful  son. Did she stay in the U S or return to Vietnam as I may have met her in Vietnam?

Hello everyone,

The OP  has not been active since long... I am not sure you will get any response from him. Should you have any need for info, I would suggest that you open a new thread on the Vietnam forum so that active members may guide you.

Regards

Bhavna