Rental eviction

Hi,

Anyone else stranded in uk been evicted from their property without reason? Having paid rental throughout, now been evicted after 5+ years satisfactory tenant after Cyprus came out of lockdown even though cannot fly from uk. What an appalling situation. I suspect the agent, Meli, was trying to get a rent increase, made up lies and withheld my deposit too.

I believe that to be against the laws implemented during the Cyprus lockdown ...
Why cant you fly i assume you have a meu1 or meu3

apply for special permission from cygov - this is the email addy for applying for special permission to enter... [email protected] tell them the reason why you need to get back...

Too late. I do have an Meu 1 but was evicted whilst paying the rent and awaiting a flight back. Disgusting! The owner offered me the chance to remain but with an increase, however the agent (MPS) had already served me notice to quit, not easy from 2,000 miles away but luckily a friend was able to do all the donkey work for me. It was only when I asked for my deposit back (which was refused for a number of totally false reasons) that I then got a list of reasons why I had been evicted, none of which existed for the previous 5 years. I  think it was purely to get an increase in the rent, something I might have considered had it been put to me before, but it wasn't. Only when I contacted the actual owner by email (for which I was formally warned by the agent) that I was offered the chance to stay with an increased rent. He stated he was happy for me to stay. (Not something you would have thought had you read the list of 'charges' brought against me by the agent who hadn't visited the place in the previous 5 years.)

surely you have some legal options available ?

Jim

sounds to me like a Landlord i would be happy to be rid of., if thats the way he/she is going to treat me going forward - hard lesson to lose cash through his lies... and i suspect hes nobbled the agent too...

legal options here are waste of time.... it would take years.... just to get it to court

'He' is a SHE (MPS) and whilst I was in the UK this came as a shock. Legal action? Possibly, but the odds are stacked against me. The thing is she never once visited the apartment after I took it on, though there was never an issue and I just realised... had I just ignored the 30 day notice, left the place as it was but had personal effects removed, I would be no worse off and it would have cost them to get a locksmith, remove excess property, etc.. As it was I had friends do all that and hand in the keys.
At least my conscience is clear.
One reason given was that I was 'housing the homeless' - had that been the case then someone would have been there when the balcony flooded and there would have been no damp in the first place!
Another reason was 'being absent for an extended period' - come on!! Lockdown? Quarantine? No flights?
I'm not the only one I'm sure.
Maybe the place will stay empty and the owner will now lose money until he gets a new tenant.
(PS  I have been warned "I'll never be able to rent another property in Paphos"  How powerful does she think she is? I've already had offers.
God bless.

Methinks it would take ages and I have little confidence in the justice system. However it was forbidden to evict in UK during lockdown. I will have to look elsewhere.
Thanks for the heads up.

Obviously the owner is complicit in the whole thing or would have sorted out the agent and reinstated you at originally agreed rates

it leaves a bad taste for sure... but please take some comfort that not all landlords are like this one...  please if you feel comfortable in doing so send me a PM to name them and location solely for my information just in case....
Good luck and sorry that you had this experience

Problem is Toon that until this happened the OP would have classed his landlord as one of the good ones.......

Jim

That is true Jim but money or lack of it changes people

No it doesn't in my experience - takers are always takers - sadly.....

on that we will have to agree to disagree...

The agent is Melissa Lowndes (MPS) and the eviction was a shock, though not as much as the list of 'charges' which were laughable, especially 'being absent for an extended period'.

I think the owner was sound, but the lure of an increased rental in these troubled times may have swayed him. That said, if they cannot get a new tenant straight away then he may well lose out, especially as I've just had a bill for the property from the management company of over 340 euros.

Burt rental rates have dropped ... a 3 bed detached villa with garden and pool next to me went for €800.. should've got 1000-1200

Toon wrote:

Burt rental rates have dropped ... a 3 bed detached villa with garden and pool next to me went for €800.. should've got 1000-1200

Whereabouts Toon and is that a long term rate?

Thanks

Jim

yes long term and in Peyia nr the stadium

Thanks - interesting and useful - off topic I guess so let me know if another discussion thread is preferred but now considering if it might be possible to get an initial 6+ months rental to move into before end if transition period and apply for residency and whether that would give any additional rights/protection for us?

Jim

it would be a good idea to start a fresh thread....

Ok - will do

Jim

Thank you