Covidvirus19 Laos

Seems there are now officially 8 cases in Laos.

Vientiane and Luang Prabang are the areas for reported cases.  It seems food hoarding has begun with supermarkets raising prices. According to a trade official the Govt are preparing to issue a ban on price increases.

Borders and schools have closed.

On a personal level, as schools have closed, my wife has taken our youngest daughter from Vientiane south to her village in Champassak to stay with family there. Our oldest daughter, married, will stay in Vientiane as she is nursing in a Govt hospital.

Wow. Alot is going on. I hope you and your family keep safe. I just read an article about how the prices of certain products are starting to rise, and how the government is cracking down on those sellers. Some even being banned for life, if they're caught. I think that was in Cambodia.

And how vietnam is going through a supposedly "fake news" issue and feeling that certain people are using the virus as a way to attack the communist party.

@stumpy, in lao are people really panicking? Is the news showing the virus as being something that authorities have under control?

I know that there are only about 4 confirmed cases in lao, but how is government reacting? And how are the people reacting?

There are now more than 8 cases. The govt is getting masks etc in from China. There is panic buying as food supplies do come over borders which are closed now.

So far the newspapers are saying 16 cases. but the reality is that many more cases could have gone undetected due to the nature of COVID 19. because some people do not experience any acute symptoms or any symptoms at all they may go under the radar. But they become carrie am not sure self isolation works all that well universally. But at least with Lao people it seems to work well.

The spread of this virus is interesting too. the experts from China today are saying that heat, above 65C kills the virus. So instead of keeping areas cold as would be the case, they need to heat all instruments and medical clothing must be washed in hot water. This will protect the medical profession more closely. Other things the experts say kill the virus are chloroform and other hospital grade disinfectants.

The virus seems to like colder conditions and with over 80% of the infections in colder climates South East Asian nations could get a little lazy but they have not. The response has been swift. In nations in this region there is an underlying problem with social distancing in thet people live in very large familt units. I am not sure how the less than 10 gatherings are going to be policed swhen some family units are over twenty. This in itself is a good reason for the government oif Laos to be very vigilant and they have been.

Happy Pi Mai everyone. It is my favourite time in Laos and I am so sad the festival has been effected by this terrible occorance. I will miss the parade, water splashing, dancing and party. But enjoy the moment and have fun in any way you can. much love

Tony

Now that the virus seems to be on the decline in Laos has it made any difference to expats here regarding travel, shopping at markets and getting around socially.