Knock knock bangalore :)

I have plan visit chennai and bangalore in april 2011, but still blind about the destination and the direction there ( bus, train and hotel).

My list is around bangalore city, visit the temple and interesting place, than continued to hampi and shravanabelagola . Not sure for distance and time, because i just have 5 days day before continued to malaysia :)

Anyone can help?

Hi....

Sorry I didnt drop u an email. Yes there is a direct train.

Log on to irctc.co.in or makemytrip.com you can book your tickets using this.

Your going to Malaysia? thats news to me

Welcome on board Ansuman ;)

Hey just tell you not too much to see for sigth seeing in bangalore.

Hi "Cinnamon",

Some information regarding your Bangalore visit:

First, arriving in Bangalore: Best to take the overnight train called Chennai-Bangalore mail, train number 2657 (maybe changed to 12657 now). [Leave Chennai 23.15; arrive Bangalore 05.10 next morning. It is hard to get the ticket for this train, especially on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, since lots of people make short overnight trips between these cities on the weekend. So, try for other days. You can get a good sleep in the train and arrive in Bangalore early in the morning, and save on your daytime and on hotel expenses. If you need to know how to book the ticket, I can let you know later. There are two ways of booking the ticket: one is the normal booking that can be done from up to 3 months in advance until the departure day; the other method, called "Tatkal", allows you to book your ticket from 2 days before the journey date, paying 15% extra fare (this is convenient if no tickets are available in normal booking). Anyway, you can also book online on the Indian Railways site: http://www.indianrail.gov.in/  (link is "internet reservation"). Just carry a printout of your online ticket and a valid photo identity card to show on the train if you book online. Class of travel: Sleeper class (generally called Second Class) is the cheapest (about Rs 150). 3 tier AC, 2 tier AC and First Class get increasingly expensive (approx. 400, 600 and 900).

Absolutely avoid bus journey to Bangalore. Air travel is unnecessarily expensive and includes expensive trips to and from the airport itself.

Then, you said you have five days in Bangalore. I suggest you forget the Sravanabelagola trip and just visit Hampi, since these two places are in different directions. Anyway, Sravanabelagola will be rather disappointing at this time since nothing will be going on there; it is not worth the bus trip just to look at a stone sculpture for a few minutes.

You can see some places in Bangalore for a day if you like. But the traffic in Bangalore is really bad, and you will not enjoy getting around.

There's lots to see in Hampi if you like. There's a convenient overnight train from Bangalore called the Bangalore-Hubli Hampi express, number 6592, or 16592 now. You have to get off at a station called Hospet, and then take a bus for a 30-minute ride to the Hampi town and the sights. Train departs Bangalore 22.30, arrival at Hospet 07.25 next morning. Again, sleep overnight and save the daytime. Enjoy for two or three days among the ruins of Hampi (maybe also other nearby places like Badami, Aihole, Pattadakal; decide after getting there), then return to Bangalore.

Here's a plan:
Day 0: Leave Chennai
Day 1: Arrive Bangalore, local sightseeing
Night 1: Take Hampi express to Hampi
Day 2: Arrive Hampi, sightseeing
Day 3, Day 4: Sightseeing at Hampi
Night 4: Take return train to Bangalore (Hubli-Bangalore Hampi express; number 6591, or 16591 now; depart Hospet 20.00; arrive Bangalore 06.10 next morning)
Day 5: Arrive in Bangalore, some more local sightseeing
Night 5: Take night train to Chennai (Bangalore-Chennai mail, number 2658, or 12658 now)

Hope this helps. Ciao!

Natesh

thank you natesh, its help :)

Yes not much sight seeing inside the city, how about the citry near by like mangalore / mylpore? its worth ?

Mylapore? That is a suburb in Chennai, right? You can certainly wander around there; it is a busy area, with some very old temples and such.

Mangalore on the west coast has a few places of interest, and also some beaches. You could travel there by the overnight train and save your daytime; or you can take the day train and also see the sights along the way; the scenery gets better as you approach Mangalore. You could also consider day train for one way, and night train for the other way. For the day journey, non-AC coach may be better in the sense that you can open the windows and look outside; in the AC coaches, the windows are sometimes smudged and dirty and you cannot see much through them. Try to reserve a window seat. Again, buses are avoidable; apart from the much higher fares, they are also not comfortable for this long journey of almost 12 hours.

Maybe after one day in Mangalore, you could travel along the west coast, either upwards or downwards. The Konkan railway route should be a good experience, and will give you some nice views of the coast and the ocean. You could even travel up to Goa, or stop off at a number of places along the route.

There are a number of other places of interest in Karnataka, like Dharmasthala, Sringeri and Horanadu, but these can only be reached by bus from Bangalore. You can consider them if you have the time.

By the way, I suggest you carry earplugs with you to shut out unwanted noise, as many long-distance buses in India tend to play loud music.

Best wishes,

Natesh

Just to add to my previous post: I meant travel to Mangalore from Bangalore; not from Chennai.