Set up a permenent home and possibly a business

Hi, Me and my wife are looking to move here in the next 1 or 2 years. I am now trying to find a 3 / 4 bedroom house to rent long term, so that we have a base so that we can fly out as and when, to set up a permenent home and possibly a business.
In the UK we run a couple of bar and restaurants so was pehaps thinking of something along the same lines.
Any help or advice that anyone can give me would be really helpful.

Hello Pokerkid7174,

Welcome on board  :)

As far as accommodation is concerned, posting and advert in the Housing section will get you better chances of finding a house to rent.

Here is the direct link : https://www.expat.com/en/housing/africa/gambia/add.html

You may also contact the professionals listed in the business directory : https://www.expat.com/en/business/afric … al-estate/

For formalities and advices setting up a business or everyday life, maybe you could drop some precise questions in a post below so that members can guide you.

P.S I have created a new thread from your post on the Gambia forum so that it benefits from more exposure.

All the very best
Bhavna

The business climate is very tough.  I have seen foreign couples try to run bakeries and restaurants and they work very hard to do little more than break even, even in the monied beach-town area of Fajara. I would recommend that if you are going into the restaurant business that you do catering and hall rental, which is where the money is.  Since there are endless birth ceremony parties, marriages and a truckload of Muslim holidays, be prepared to cook the local dishes and cater parties.  Also, the rental of chairs, tables and halls for events can also do well. But for this to prosper, you really need to cater to the local population.
  To run a business within the expat community, you need to work your way in.  Go to the events of all the foreign international schools, join the golf/tennis club, meet members of the Peace Corps. and the principal religious missions, as well as events at the Alliance Francaise and the American Corner.
  If you farm, you might do quite well running a chicken farm, as barbecued chicken legs are all the rage in the rural towns, which with Ebola, are safer to eat than bush meat.
  The other great business is importing appliances such as stoves, bicycles, used clothes, pots and pans and shoes. As well, processing of fish, but a SPanish concern appears to have that locked up.  As well, there is a significant Indian population, so restaurants of Indian food and other services catering to Indian expats can also do well.