Dubai v Abu Dhabi, advice sought pls

Hi

We are trying to decide between Dubai and Abu Dahbi and am hoping for some advice.

My husband is seeking a teaching position, I hope to stay at home with my 2 year old boy, and perhaps substitute teach, we are both qualified teachers in Australia.

My main concern is I do not wish to drive, so I wonder how easy it would be to get around Abu Dhabi as I cannot see they have a metro, but have taxis and buses, can you get by on this day to day as I would like to be out and about a lot with my boy as he is very active.

Is one place better for a family than another?

ANY info would be so gratefully received.
Thank you

abu dhabi is a more family friendly place.  its a bit less "fast paced".  true, it doesnt have a metro but taxis are clean, cheap and plentiful.  Its a more compact city and easier to get around.

dubai is much more spread out and i personally think its more of a "good time" town.  If i was 20 and single i would prefer dubai.  The metro is ok in winter but in summer its useless unless u live next to a station and your destination is close to one too.  otherwise youll still have to get a taxi at both ends.

thats just my tuppence worth.  maybe other posters will pitch in with their advice.

for me, families with children generally prefer abu dhabi.

Lot more schools in Dubai, as well as definitely more places for fun activities for the child in Dubai.  Abudhabi is okay for sedate family life, but not a lively one.  It is not accurate to describe Dubai as a 'good time' city, but it does provide such opportunities.  Other things being equal, choose Dubai, definitely.