And yet another new arrival to Suzhou...

Hi everyone,

I moved to Suzhou beginning of August. Have found a place to stay and am now trying to find my way around.

I was wondering if there are any other Salsa dancers out there? Or anyone else who wouldn't mind making some suggestions as to what to do with my spare time apart from trying to learn Chinese?

All suggestions welcome. Don't be shy :)

Thanks

Maria

Hi Maria,

welcome to Expat.com! :)

Thanks Christine for the welcome!

Jenny,

I think I know which place your Mexican friend goes to on a Wednesday night. Is it Whiskey Jack's? There is a salsa class there and I went last week to see what it is like. Is that the place you are talking about? It seems to be the only salsa class in the whole of Suzhou?!

I have also been to a bar called Carumba which has a Latinamerican band playing live music. I liked the music there and got to dance a little bit as well.

Maria

Welcome Salsera2,

I too am new to Suzhou, having just arrived 2 weeks. Today was my first day as an English teacher, and I have to say I found it tough, but also rewarding. I am teaching Middle school, so the kids are 13-15 years. They really are amazing kids.

I am however finding it difficult to find my feet here. It is so difficult to make friends here. I would love to meet other English speaking expats for friendship and generally to share the whole experience of being in Suzhou.

Cathal81

I like salsa,but I can not dance. Nice to meet you welcome to Suzhou.
If you want learn chinese maybe I can teach you.

Hi Maria,

Welcome to Suzhou! Hope you'll like it here. Life here is not too bad.
I saw you've been to Germany before…which city you have been??

Any questions about Suzhou feel free to ask me!

Ahoi, S.

Hi Cathal81, I am sure you will find friends quickly here.

Kevin, thanks for offering to teach me Chinese but I already have a teacher!

Hi S., I'll drop you a message. Maybe you can suggest a couple of things. Cheers

Maria

Going to be in Suzhou in June, teaching English. Sounds like there is a little community of English speakers away from home who get together and hang out. I hope to salsa dance there. It is such an international thing now!

Hi there,

I see your Irish. What parts are you from? Tipperary man here, and living in Suzhou over 8 months as a teacher. I leave on June 30th, but am hoping to return again next year for another year.

I think you will be very happy here. It really is a beautiful place, very safe, the people are lovely, and the lifestyle is pretty cool too.

If here before June 30th, please get in contact with me. I would be happy to meet you and help you settle etc.

Hey!

Another Salsera :)!

There is actually a big English speaking community here (and many other languages, too!). You will settle really quickly and I am sure you are going to enjoy it here.

There is not that much happening here when it comes to Salsa dancing though but I am going to Shanghai on a regular basis to get my salsa fix. Give me a shout if you want to join me some time?!

See you soon in Suzhou :D

Maria

I'm from Crosshaven, Co. Cork. Maiden name was Rooney.gee, I will be passing you almost. I arrive on the 28th of June into China, but it will be a couple of days before I get there. Well, Cathal, I guess I'll see ya sometime in Mayo ( I love to hike in your county) or another summer there in China. My home is Sacramento now, but I go back to Crosser regularly.

Hi Salsera2,
I will certainly contact you. I will be teaching english, and I'm sure they'll keep me busy, but I, too, need my salsa "fix" or I will nit be a happy puppy. (Well, I'm not young, so what's the word for an old grouchy female dog?....)

Hi Cathal.
Sorry, I mixed up your county. There isn't much hiking in Tipperary, you'd get run over by the racehorses, I guess! My nephew, however, has a deer farm near Cashel.

Hi Cathal81:
Have you found your friends ? Haaa, I think we Chinese are friendly and easy-going, soon you will find one.
What's youe hobbies ? I was wondering if you like playing basketball.
I play basketball erery night to build my body. Maybe you can join in.

Anyway, welcome to Suzhou. Hope you enjoy your life here.

--Soul

@ Irish Salsera. You will be very happy here, I can assure you. Suzhou is a lovely city. I know Crosshaven very well. I used work as a Sales Rep in Cork, and used call to the Centra store there regularly. Shame you arrive in Suzhou around the same time as I leave. I am however hoping to return for another year. So, perhaps we can still meet down the line.

@Soul.... Yes, I have found and made many friends here in Suzhou. I am here over 8 months now, and very happy. I return home in less that 9 weeks to see family and friends and hope to return in August to take up s new teaching role. To answer your question, no I do not play basketball. I am too lazy to play any sport.

@Cathal81
That's great. I'm happy you enjoy your life in Suzhou. Have you ever travel around Suzhou? The gardens, the bars, the mountains, the towns, you know there're so many famous places to visit.
Also as I know, there're many sports clubs or fitness centers in SisPark. Exercise an hour a day, work healthily and live happily all the way.
Hope you live a healthy and happy life every day in China.
--Soul

Yes, I have been around Suzhou, and done many of the sites. Tiger hill, The Humble Administrators Garden, Northern Pagoda, Panmen Temple and Garden, Taihu Lake, the mountains, etc etc etc..... Suzhou is so so beautiful.

I am really deeply in love with this city. Have made many many friends, love the food, the lifestyle, my job, the pub scene on Li Gong Di and so on. And am a regular to Blue Marlin SIP.

I was playing Gaelic Football too, so have meet a lot of pals through the club. Sadly, I no longer play due to a damaged knee. No all that healthy anymore, gaining weight and partying and enjoying myself a little to much lately. However, I plan to take up Kung Fu when I return in September.

liyongtaiji.com/81
Sounds awesome! You wanna be a Kung Fu master? Ok, I'll give the responsibility to defend our earth !Haaaa:D
Yes, it's good to do some sport in your part-time, you know it is more healthy. I don't know much about Kungfu, but I think Taiji is a nice Choice for you, this is their website: liyongtaiji.com/
BTW, do you have any IM accounts(like Facebook or Twitter)? I wanna follow you. Haaa:P

I use Facebook. You can link in with me on that if ya have VPN. Just search under my name. I never use Twitter.

I am already a black belt in Taekwon-do (The Korean Martial Art), so would love the opportunity to learn some basic Kung Fu.... Tai Chi on the other hand is for old folks. hahaha.

Just got here and need to keep salsa-ing or I'll go crazy. I've been learning for the last 4 months up in Nanjing and I don't want to lose it over the summer. So there really is no salsa action going on in Suzhou at all? :(

Hiya,

There is Salsa on a Wednesday in Whiskey Jack's. It starts at 8.30pm. And I also heard that there is another place downtown that started Salsa nights on a Saturday but I haven't checked that one out, yet because I was away. Might do that this Saturday. You should go on a Wednesday though!

Salsera2 wrote:

Hiya,

There is Salsa on a Wednesday in Whiskey Jack's. It starts at 8.30pm. And I also heard that there is another place downtown that started Salsa nights on a Saturday but I haven't checked that one out, yet because I was away. Might do that this Saturday. You should go on a Wednesday though!

The Saturday place, are you referring to this? I was thinking about checking it out this weekend.

classifieds.echinacities.com/chapter/1403430160

I just founding this while searching for Salsa Suzhou. Are the salsa dancers around here into On 1 or On 2

The link got edited out, but it's at a place called Loop Music Bar?

Yes it's Loop. I haven't met anyone here in Suzhou dancing on2. It's more on1 and Cuban.

I go to Shanghai a lot to get my Salsa fix. There are really good clubs and dancers there and you get every style.

Hi Maria I am Cristina new in Suzhou and looking forward to meet new people

Hi Cristina,

Welcome to Suzhou! You are more than welcome to join me and meet my friends :). I'll send you a private message.

I am a new guy in Suzhou too =D

Hi power181,

Can you please tell us a bit more about yourself :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

hello,salsera2~i'm new here too and i have just settled down the day  before yesterday. suzhou is really beautiful but also hot!!! I hope to meet new people here~

sure, Hi everyone I am a Taiwanese and I just finished my one year holiday in Australia about 6 months ago. Now I work for my uncle in Suzhou, his company is running green environment recovering (main target is river recovering)

Before move in Suzhou I stayed in Kushan.

I good with some technology stuffs such as samrtphones or computers. and I can use Google sketchup very well (which is an 3D drawing program)kinda one of my skills :P

I like soccer and taking photos (in Traveling )

if there is some people need to across GFW visit Facebook derectly I have a good way can do that. if you interesting you can msg me =)

By the way I just got my drivers license last week!
oh yeah =D

and my place is very near Izumiya department store.

anyway I am looking for some friend to hang-out, watching games or movies or whatever, and if you need IT support just find me, maybe I got an answer :P

hello, my name is alina, i'm also new here working from another province and still haven't get used to the environment here. it's wonderful to know you, power 181. And your life seems to be so wonderful and full of fun! well, welcome to suzhou,new friend!

oh no
I forgot introducing my name

My name is Chen Hung-Chia
you can call me Chia
(Taiwan using Wade–Giles system before, correct pronouncing should be "Jia" in Pinyin System)

and nice to meet you Alina =D

Hello,

My name is Omar and Im new in Suzhou, Im looking for friends. Im from Mexico and I love to dance!!!

I will be here only for 6 months.

Gracias!

Hi,Maria and Hi to everybody.I'm a chinese ,and I have been living in suzhou for many years.If you are not so familiar with suzhou, maybe I can do something for you. I hope you enjoy a good life here. Just keep in touch.

Hello everybody....i moved to Suzhou about a months back and am finding my way out here...

I guess the city has many expats specially in the SND area... I stay in Wuzhong district. Would be great to meet new people through this forum and make new friends..

Cheers
Allan

do you ar in sozhou. I am in sozhou and will meet cute people