Surfing in Angola

Hello all!

I'm moving out to Luanda in October to work for 16 months and wondered if any of you guys are surfers or have friends who surf.  There is information online about the surf scene in Angola, but I would be interested to hear from anyone who regularly surfs or has surfed in the region.  If anyone can answer the following questions I would be really appreciative;

Is it easy to get a board in Luanda or is it better to bring one with me?

Are the surf spots easy to get to from Luanda or will they require a 4x4 and a sense of adventure?

Is there an expat/local surf community or should I expect to surf alone?

Thanks guys!

Jeremy

Olá!

Surf is definitely my fauvorite sport, but still need to learn.

- About the board, you definetely need to bring one with you
- The surf spots is about 1.30 to 2 hours from Luanda and you need a 4x4, and it's worth it.
- surely you won't surf alone, there are a lot of expats every weekends to surf with.

Tchau

Hi Jeremy,

Lots of teachers at my school suf every weekend. You will need to bring a board. Everyone seems to surf at Cabo Ledo beach & there can be a good crowd there on the weekend. We get there in a minibus - the road is very good right until the turnoff to the beach - then it is very sandy, but you don't need 4 wheel drive (but a normal car probably would struggle). It is a good 2 hours drive from Luanda Sul - more from the centre of the city.

Cheers
Sue

Hi Jeremy!

I'll be moving also to Luanda next November, and I will bring my own board, cause I imagine it will be very hard & expensive to get a surfboard in Angola.

From what I've seen there are several surfspots but the most popular is Cabo Ledo. search it on youtube and there you'll have an idea...

I will be also looking for people to surf with! I'll mail you when I arrive...

take care,
Bruno

Hey guys!

Thanks for the replies.

Since posting I have decided to air freight my board and belongings after being warned that taking a board though the airport as luggage isnt such a great idea due to heavy handed luggage handlers!  Also, my company has offered to pay so looks like we're green for go.

Ill definately be looking for company on surf trips, so please feel free to get in touch.  Please do get in touch Bruno, I should be going in the next two weeks and am always on the lookout for friends to surf with.

Thanks again for all the info guys, hopefully see you at the beach!!

Jeremy

Hey Jeremy,
Any troubles with the board on arrival? how was to pass by the security and what about luggage? Everytinh ok?

yesterday a friend told me to be extra carefull cause those guys tend to "robb or just pick on" the first timers in Luanda... and assle about money...

Hey Bruno,

I can't really give you any advice quite yet becasue my VISA has been delayed for a month, so I am waiting to fly out, I should be going at the start of November.  Also, I have had my surfboard sent by air freight because my company offered to pay for it, so I won't be able to give you my impression of taking my surfboard through the airport.

I have heard of people taking boards through the airport though, but i would imagine it is worth wrapping it up in as much padding as possible!

Sorry I can't be better help.

Jeremy

Hey Jeremy1 and All,

I am a South African traveling alot in and out of Angola for business. We are going to move there from April/May/June permanently (have to wait on work visa's). We will be staying in Luanda Sul in a nice house.

I was in Luanda last week and drove down to Lobito the road is good as you say up to the turnoff to Cabo Ledo which looks like a GREAT point setup cant wait to surf it. AND i see that Windguru just added a spot which covers Luanda! Great news.

Just waiting for the swell season to come in a bit (i think this is winter time)

Very keen to meet up for a surf ?

Adeus Amigos
Steve

Hey Steve,

Yeh definately, let me know when you're about and i'll show you the break.  I have a nice little group of surfing friends now and Cabo is definately the best place to surf for accessibility close to Luanda.  Cabo is a brilliant break, but it can get busy especially on a Sunday.  Last Sunday for example we had a good forecast for the morning and by 11am there were about 40 surfers out!!  Saturday is definately better if the swell is good.  There are some unreal breaks down towards the town of Namibe as well (10-12 hours drive) if you like your surfing a little more punchy.

I don't really see Cabo as season specific to be honest, it depends how big you like it, but I havent surfed much smaller than 1.5m every time I have been this summer (5 weekends so far). It is worth bringing along a longboard in summer just in case though because it can drop off quite rapidly.

Anyway, good luck with the move, see you on the beach!

Sweet Jeremy that sounds awesome! 40 guys is alot though. Perhaps (with due respect) when it gets bigger then some will watch from the beach? I am goofy foot and like swell in that 4 - 8 ft range!

Our local SA surfing magazine featured Angola on their main travel feature last month (they drove from Namibia upwards) so they must have encountered the waves near to Namibe and Lobito

http://www.zigzag.co.za/features/zigzag … la-Gallery

I am there from 15th - 19th March but just business. From April I will start staying on weekends and would like to meet up with you on a trip ? When I get my Angolan Unitel number I can call you.

Cheers
Steve

I just posted the same message about Zig Zag on you facebook page!  Seems great minds think alike :).

Yeh 40 is a lot and thats the worst I have seen it.  Sometimes you go and you're the only one in the water.  It just depends on the weekend.  Luckily the point break is really long, so even if there are a lot of surfers you can often find your own little take off and catch a few. It is becoming more and more popular as more and more expats arrive though, I wouldnt like to see it in 5 years.  Camping works well though, it opens up uncrowded sunset and sunrise sessions. 

Good luck with your business trip. 

J

Hey Jeremy,

Yeah, Cabo sounds awesome I cant wait! Growing up Surfing the east coast of SA is all right handers (you would have also seen J-Bay) which is SO hard to surf if you a goofy. I am about to book my flights for April 12th - 23rd which will be over the weekend 17th/18th! Hope for swell. Should I REALLY not take my board via aeroplane - I dont think my company (not oil related) will allow additional expense.

I read all your blog posts last night so awesome to hear your experiences as they were so similar to mine as I went for the first time Dec 2009. I must tell you when I was in Luanda last week we were driving on Rua Nova Marginal and I saw a motorbike guy with a Equestrian Helmet... i remember pointing it out to my G-F and LOL!!!

My G-F and I went down to the Kwanza River Lodge and stayed the weekend. Its like what you say about Rio Longe beautiful. Not sure if you in to fishing but we caught SO many Dorado. Was awesome!

Thanks man, i'm glad you liked reading it!

Actually, with regard to the airport, you should be fine bringing you board through.  The airport is getting better all the time and is much improved on a year ago.  Another South African friend of mine brought a 6'10" back from SA a few weeks ago and he said it was no problem.  He just told the luggage handlers on arrival that he was waiting for a surfboard and they brought it straight through. 

Get lots of bubble wrap and "fragile" stickers on it and you shouldnt have any problems.

J

Hi guys,

I just arrived in angola a week ago. I'm looking for people for surfing sessions on weekends.I 'm french and I ve been living in Australia for 10 months.

I heard Cabo Ledo is a world class left break... So if you are looking for a surfer for sharing experiences and having a good time on waves !!! Let me know !!!

Here is my phone: 935619408

Looking forward to meeting you asap.

joris

Hey Jeremy,

My girlfriend Justine and I land in Luanda on Sunday 21 March. We keen to meet up with you for a few drinks to find out MORE of whats in store for us! Your choice of venue.

We are staying at Palm Beach Hotel (no idea where that is) until Thursday but might have work commitments through the week.

How can we get in contact? You want to send me a message on FB since thats more private?

Schweet
Steve

p.s. Joboul definately keen to hook up for a surf mate! I m not sure if i will have enough time for full blown lessons if i m even qualified but hey!

Hey Steve,

Yeh sounds good, the week days are always rammed for me, but if you send me your email address (over facebook if you like) then we can sort something out.  Keep Saturday 27th free buddy, i'll tell you why over email.

Speak soon,

J

Hey Jeremy,

Sorry bud - late notice our flight got moved until Monday. I ll try get on Facebook by the weekend to chat to you if poss and exchange Angolan no's etc.

We are keen to meet up either on Tuesday night or Wednesday night (our only nights available) I know you said you were busy but we can if you available.

Cheers
Steve

Hello !

Could somebody tell me about surfing in Angola, how are the beaches, how to go there, can me easily camping on the beaches, do we need an light wetsuit during july / august..
I will based somewhere 40 km north of Luanda, do someone explored the beaches north of Luanda ?

Thanks in advance,

Hervé

Hi Herve,

The beaches are great.  The best breaks are point breaks though.  There are a few beach breaks, but the foreshore tends to be quite steep in a lot of places meaning that you often find potential beach breaks are dominated by shore break waves - unridable.

Cabo Ledo is the most popular point break near Luanda, it is very easy to get to, you just drive 2 hours south of Luanda on the main road.  Most beaches are now sign posted along this road.

You will need a light wetty in the winter, maybe a shorty.

I personally havent explored the beaches to the north.  There may well be decent breaks to the north, but the roads are terrible, meaning that you would need some adventurous spirit to reach them.

Loads of great uncrowded powerful breaks in the south of Angola around the town of Namibe, but it is 12 hours drive.

Hope this helps.

I am looking for someone to go surfing with close to Luanda. Not sure exactly where to go.
Thanks

Hey,

How's it going? I just moved to Luanda just recently and am looking for people that love to go surfing. I brought a board and wetsuit and am ready to go!!

I went out to Cabo Ledo today but i went to an area that didn't have any waves, so i'm not sure where they are. Let me know so we all can convoy up to the beach and surf it up!!!

Forrest

Hey surf addicts,

is somebody interesting on a surf board? My contract is finishing in three weeks and I don't like travel back with my board.

It's an Ideal board for beginners and days with not so high waves.
Mini Malibu 7.6 feet. Epoxy from NSP.
The buyer will get on top tree brand new carbon spare fins, leash, and travelbag.
The board is one year old and in a good condition.

If somebody likes to know more please contact me per mail.     

Cheers

Michael

Hi to all
i am in luanda,looking for some places to surf during the week
close to luanda,anyone have any info?as well looking for people to surf with

my phone number 925970342

Eyal

suggest Cabo Ledo surfer beach.Ask you'll find it.120Km South from Luanda~ 25 S from Barro de Kuanza
Dan

If you have GPS available - Cabo Ledo can be found by....

(WGS84 datum)

Turn off the highway @ 9deg 41' 37.02" S  13deg 12' 42.10"E into a mine. Keep the main section of the mine on your left.

Carpark is @ 9 deg 40' 45.19" S 13deg 11' 57.27" E.

Carpark is virtually at the surf spot.

As for closer spots for a quick mid week surf. Don't know of any. I would be asking "do you really want to spend time sitting in that water?" 

GG

can i drive there with a regular sedan or i need a 4*4
?

you can go with regular sedan as well,but is limited.

eyalafuta wrote:

can i drive there with a regular sedan or i need a 4*4
?

Normal car can get there no problems. Just watch the rocks.

GG

I also go to Cabo ledo every weekend and it is really good point to surf. you can get there with sedan but there are lots of rocks on the road to the beach like eyalafuta said.
its 2hour distance away from Luanda sul and 30 mins from Kwanza river. you can go after me when I go there if you want. :)

hi guys
did any one have surfed in buraco?and when the swelles hit there?

Hi to all
anyone can explain to me how to arrive to buraco?and how the wave there?

I am not really an expat, I am from angola but i love surf. and i wanna learn. Anyone offering classes?