Conservation Biologist, new to UB

Hi there,
I arrived a week ago and would quite like to meet others for a drink and a chat. I've found out how and where to pay my bills, shop for food and get a residents permit; I'm just settling in to my job and surroundings. Whether you're in the same boat as me or have been at some point it'd be good to hear from you!

Hi Nac13,

I am not an expat but a good way of meeting expats would be to hang out where they do!
I would recommend The grand khan irish pub, a cafe called Millies and the restaurant Veranda.
Also Amnesty international has foreign volunteers and are always looking to meet new foreigners!
Hope I helped, if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Hi
Im about to take a job in UB
Ive spent a lot of time in China before but this will be my first expirence in Mongolia inner or otherwise.
are there alot of long term expats in town?
has the internet have any limitations?(like China)
any advice is greatly appresiated:D

Phil-

I haven't seen many long-term expats in town, and I only personally know a few. Many of the ones I've talked to work in Mongolia for a temporary period of time... 6 months to maybe 5 years... then head back home. I haven't been in Mongolia very long myself though, so I'm sure there's more long-term expats out there.
Internet has no restrictions that I've come across so far. You can get DSL broadband in Ulaanbaatar... it's often slower than I've been used to in the US, but at least it's fairly cheap (about 15-18 US dollars/month). Cable TV is cheap too, and there are a handful of English language channels available.
Anyway, you'll quickly find Mongolia (both the country and the people) is quite a bit different than China, so it should be a new experience for you.  If you haven't already, try check some of the other Mongolia Forum threads for other helpful tips and stuff...
- Nick

Im comming over without my family at first.
any sugestions on how to spend free time?.
keeping in mind im 45yrs old and happly married .
any Gym's or sporting clubs?

Hi there,

There are plenty of gyms around, although I haven't been to any yet, my friend has and he tells me they're quite nice. There are several good museums in town and they are indicated on most city maps. Natural history, national history, cultural and many more. There is a cinema in town (Tengis movie theatre) which screens plenty of western films with Mongolian subtitles, there's also a ski slope just outside of town, restaurants everywhere and even salsa and ballroom dancing classes.

There isn't a great deal of value in me telling you where these things are at  this stage but I would say get a city map (tourist map) from a bookshop called Internom. This is in the centre of town next to university building 2 on Baga Toyruu. Baga Toyruu is the street that surrounds the centre of town including the central government house on Sukbaatar Square on the Northern side of Peace Avenue. Check it out on Google Earth; Internom is almost directly to the East of Sukbaatar Sq. on Baga Toyruu.

You'll find plenty of expats in Hennesy's restaurant out to the East past the British Embassy.

Lonely Planet Mongolia is a great source of info and I would invest in a copy or have a good read before you head out here.

Enjoy!

Hello Everyone,

I will be moving there this summer, and would be more than happy to go for a beer etc once there.