Help! American family moving to New Delhi

We will be moving to New Delhi in January 2012 and have 3 primary school children. What neighborhood should we look at? We have a very generous stipend for housing and would love to have a house with garden, access to nice parks or clubs near by etc. Our kids will either go to Lycee Francais or the American Embassy school. Husband will work in Garguan (sp?)I hear that traffic is quite bad so it would help to be in an area not so far from school and work. Any suggestions? How is life there in general? THANKS!

Hello kleiman and welcome to Expat.com!

I invite you to take a look at the different discussions of the forum. It may help.;)

You also have some interesting articles in our participative guide.:)

All the best,
Harmonie.:)

Dear, Klieman , how are you? How is everybody in America... Well, you said u would choose American Embassy school or Laycee Francias for your kids,which is a good thing...if you gonna admit your childs in American embassy school..then you should have a house in south Delhi, like Defense Colony,South extension or Panscheel,its your choice.... If you were only two peoples i prefer you Gurgaon.... otherwise you can try in Defence colony or near Chitranjan park....
have a good time,
Keanu. :)

Welcome to New Delhi.
I think you will have a nice stay here. If you love education and educational environment please do visit my campus J.N.U jnu.ac.in
where you will find a nice place to move in peace and serene. I do believe you will admire this place and wish to stay here. I am a student of Arabic and French Languages here.
Have a nice journey.

Hi Kleiman,

I'm working with an expat management company in Delhi where we help expats like you to get settled here in the city. [Moderated: no free ads please]
As you mentioned that your husband will be working in Gurgaon and kids will be studying in Delhi, so it is advisable for you to look for properties in the areas like Shanti Niketan, Anand Niketan, Vasant Vihar etc. These are the best localities and a lot of expatriates are living there. All these areas are not very far from Gurgaon either.
Life in Delhi is fast but fun. There are a lot of expat communities that might help you in making a good social circle.
Wish you a very happy stay.
Chandrika

hi there, hope u doing great ....most of the expats live in vasant vihar, shanti niketan, westend, malcha marg, these areas are very near to the school and take the same time of approximately 30 to 45 mins to reach gurgaon, further, areas like vasant kinj cn be a good option too, where going to schooltakes 20 mins in the morng and gurgaon is 30 mins, but yes during peak hours going to gurgaon and comin from gurgaon gets tough, but its not really on a regular basis, I belong to the embassy bacground so I know well abt it........well, I cn help u with geting house on rent in the areas mentioned above n i m sure u will b pleased, pls get in touch at [email protected] if u need more assistance .........god bless ....lookforward to see u :)

heartly welcome in india for work here life and traffic also normal with the rules but some time crowed but do not worry about it but in January time winter is more and summer start time from April month to till august so be aware of this bcoz whether will change

Hello....I am Pushpalatha from India, I'm 42 years old. I was searching for a job of a nanny and came across your ad that you are coming to New Delhi next year.

I have 5 years experience of looking after children of British diplomatic families.

If you need a caretaker for your children then please do contact me on my email id [email protected]

hi there,
I can recommend Defence Colony, it is quite a drive out to Gurgaon though, but central in Delhi, closer to the Embassy etc.  I will have to go back to Germany, and to give up my wonderful big appartment, if you are interested in renting it, you can contact me, there is also kitchen utensils, a new washing machine, new matress etc. available, regards

Matthias

Hi

If your children are going to American school, and work is in Gurgaon, plus you also want a social life, then Vasant Vihar is the best option. E block in vasant vihar has a few parks as well.

Regards
Ash

when you get a good answer let me know.  We are house hunting all week in Delhi.  I just moved here from the states.  Stay in touch and we can grab a drink sometime.  I'm a newlywed so no kids yet but am interested in knowing about the schools since my children will most likely be raised here.  send me an email when you are free

Marida, there wasnt anything bad in my answer, if you actually execute what i suggest, you will thank me one day instead of house hunting for weeks :)

Delhi is a big pie, you have to be very practical while looking if you consider to shift with your family, every part of Delhi has a high end and also the lowest end available.

Good Luck
Ash

Hi.
The best places to live in are
Chanakyapuri
Jor Bagh
Anand  Niketan
Shanti Niketan
Golf Links
West End
Vasant Vihar
The last one may be the best if you have to travel to Gurgaon everyday.