Moving to Baghdad

Hello all,

I have been offered a job in a telecommunication company in Baghdad, I originally hail from Egypt and I'm currently thinking about it can someone shed some light on the day to day life there?

I'll be moving alone without my family and the company is offering me a place to live in and transportation

Would appreciate any thoughts from people who live already there

Regards

Ahmed

Assalam Alaikum

Text me on telegram

I will help you inshallah

@majjanabi

@Ahmed Refaat16 Dear Ahmed,

To be able to answer your question, you need to let us know where in Iraq you will be located.

In general, Iraq is a nice safe place to live in. It is challenged in many ways such as infrastructure, entertainment, and even accommodations. It generally varies from one city to another dramatically. If you are working for Korek, I assume you would be based in Erbil which is a very well-developed city that has great services yet might be challenging towards Arabs or anyone who is not Kurdish. If you are working for Asiacell, I assume you would be based in Sulaimaniya which is a small lovely city also. It is however challenged when it comes to basic services such as electricity. People in Sulaimaniya are generally much friendlier to non-Kurds. In both cities, the weather might be an issue for you since you are coming from Egypt and you are not used to this extreme cold in the winter.

If you are working for Zain, I assume you would be based in Baghdad. The biggest and busiest city in Iraq. It is also very diversified and different from one part to another. Although generally safe, many problems and incidents happen suddenly and for random reasons. There is a serious lack of entertainment options and things to do for fun are limited. You'll have a few parks you can visit, small uninteresting malls, and cafes.

Before you move and since you have kids, find a good international school or educational facility for your children. Good education here is not cheap. Look into healthcare options and find a reputable doctor or clinic that you can trust. In Kurdistan-Iraq, medical facilities are generally better.

Find a community of expats or other families in similar situations to connect with for support and advice. They will be your safety net and support system and they will act as a buffer during this move because trust me, you will have a cultural shock that will affect your wife and kids more than you. They will need some kind of familiarity when they first move here. Both you and your family need to be prepared for the fact that culture shock and homesickness are normal reactions to moving to a new country and take some time to adjust.

People here are kind and welcoming, however, they have a different mentality due to the many years of isolation and wars. So be open-minded, flexible and positive, and try to find the good in the new place you live in.

Finally, make sure to stay in touch with friends and family back home, and don't forget to enjoy the new experiences that come with living in a new country.

If you need any specific information, I am ready to assist you.

Good luck, and welcome to the sand pit!

@m.ajjanabi Thanks will do

Appreciate it bro

@Zadaaziz Thanks a lot

I will be moving to Baghdad in a district called Al Karada

I'll be moving alone with my family at least for the start

I do believe that finding a community would make the transition my more smoother

Hello Ahmed,

I just wanted to give you a heads-up that accommodation in Karada may not be of the highest standard. It's important to make sure you are comfortable with the place you will be staying before you settle in. Keep in mind that standards may be different in Iraq compared to other parts of the Arab world, so what is considered acceptable in Iraq may not be to your liking. If you must be on that side of Baghdad, I would recommend looking for accommodation in an area called Zayyouna exclusively, not even in the adjacent areas, as this location is considered the best option for foreigners.

It's worth mentioning that it can be difficult for single men to find suitable accommodation in Iraq, as landlords may be hesitant to rent out apartments to them. If your family will be joining you soon, it might be a better idea to look for a family house. Letting the landlord know that your family will be joining you in the near future may increase your chances of finding a suitable place to stay.

Regarding education, it's important to research schools for your children if you have any. Good education can be costly here and it's important to make sure your salary will cover the costs. You might want to start researching and inquiring about the best schools in the area you want to live in, and make sure the school has a good reputation and offers an education that meets your children's needs.

As for me, I understand how difficult it can be to navigate a new place. I faced similar challenges when I first moved to Baghdad and had to learn things gradually. I hope that my advice and information can be of assistance to you and make your transition a bit smoother.

Welcome to Baghdad and I wish you all the best. If you need any further information or have any specific questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. I am here to help and make your transition as smooth as possible.

Best,

@Zadaaziz Thanks a lot, the company I'm joining will be the one offering the housing, it will be either in an hotel or a shared apartment with other expats from the company with a private bathroom

I was wondering about the daily small stuff like laundry, buying meals, etc.

Also is it possible to order items from Amazon for example to my location there?

Dear Ahmed,

Laundry services are available and are clean and dependable, at least on my side of Baghdad. Iraq lacks entertainment, so food is the only outlet and the only thing people can enjoy. Sadly, although there are a lot of restaurants available, the actual food is not very good compared to what you find elsewhere. It is decent, and you will not have problems finding things that meet your liking. It generally ranges between Iraqi food, BBQed meat, and burgers & Pizza. There is no variety in cuisines. Even Lebanese or Syrian restaurants serve Iraqi food mostly because Iraqi people are not used to flavors that are not Iraqi. Iraqi food is not so bad and not so good. It's not a real cuisine, it's a mix of many different cuisines in the region and is mostly rice-based.

You will not starve, do not worry. But if you are going to depend on eating out, you might want to account for that in your expenses. Good food here is not cheap.

Good luck!! If you need any information which is more specific, let me know.

Thanks a lot you have been great help

I believe I'll be there around April

Really appreciate your feedback 😊

Regards

Ahmed

As the Iraqis say: "تدلل"

Hi guys,

Would anyone be able to help me out with understanding the most affluent/prestigious neighborhoods in Baghdad?

@NoorHS they are 2. One on each side of Baghdad.

Al Mansour and Zayyouna (not Zayyouna adjecent).

Nothing else.

@Zadaaziz good day sir, please my junior sister need housemaid work permit, please can she get employer that will hire her thanks.

hello good day everyone,

am Michael Adebayo a Nigerian with valid passport. have been working in a four start hotel and tower for the past two years as a receptionist and supervisor. please i need a guide on how to get job in Erbil, bagadad or easiest route to the country thanks.

@Zadaaziz

hello good evening sir,

am Michael Adebayo a Nigerian with valid passport. have been working in a four star hotel and tower for the past two years as a receptionist and supervisor. please i need a guide on how to get job in Erbil, baghdad or easiest route to relocate to any of aforementioned  countries thanks.

@adebayoojomichael40

Hello there!

Well, the best way is through LinkedIn. You need to have a very strong profile and have a great CV. It is very straightforward. Just apply apply apply apply. Anything that looks applicable for you, apply for. Do not limit yourself to those two cities. Try Sulaimaniya, Karbala, Najaf, and Basra too. They are booming with new hotels being built all the time.

Good luck!!

@Zadaaziz

Thanks so much, your response is so resourceful

@Zadaaziz

Hello, I have been reading your posts and you seem to offer very practical and balanced advice.

So, hope you don't mind but I would like your insights if your able to provide them for some areas in Baghdad.

The post I am considering is located in Al Rasafa.  Is this a safe area?

There is a school there, that I am considering.

Would it be liable?  I still don't know which area the housing is offered but they have

said it is of a high standard. It may be in another area, this is still TBA.

Is it safe to go out alone in taxis for a female? 

I had been there before but had private security and am now considering coming back. But I know tensions are high and it is still unpredictable. 

Thoughts?

Thank you in advance. 

@yellaHEAR rasafa and most center of bagdad are safe, usually baghdad now is safe.

@yellaHEAR

Hi! Thanks for reaching out! It's great you're considering returning to Baghdad.

Al Rasafa can be a vibrant and busy area.  While safety is always a consideration in any city, Baghadad is generally a very safe city.

For schools, Baghdad offers both public and international private options.  Public schools are definitely not an option for you as they offer education in Arabic and are very very bad. International schools are your only option as many offer provide a strong curriculum in English, but be sure to check their specifics to ensure it aligns with your needs.

Housing standards can be subjective.  "High standard" can vary, so requesting pictures or a video tour would be a great way to get a feel for the place. Modern apartments are an option, but there could be charming, well-maintained older places too.

Transportation through ride-hailing apps like Careem is a popular and generally safe choice. I am not discouraging you from hailing a cab off the street or using public transportation, but apps are usually quicker, more convenient, and more practical.

Baghdad is a city on the rise, and while things might be different from your previous visit, there are good options for schools, housing, and getting around.  With some research and using ride-hailing apps, you can hopefully have a smooth and enjoyable experience.