Trucking company in Costa Rica

My name is tom but they call me scoop!! Been before to CR and did nothing but fall in love with all barely came back home. Will be spending more time there and would like to find out about driving 18 Wheeler trucks   OR.  Security work have curidentals   OR.  U tell me.   Very open minded and jack of many trades.

Once again, you are not legally permitted to work here, until you have gained  Permanent resident, have a work visa or work on-line.

Of course you could try and find a job with a trucking company in the USA.

No have driven in the US for many years been there done with that .....how hard is the permits to get?  Or is it just cash?   Going to spend more time in CR so I'm sure something will pop!!!!!

Hi tom,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I have created a new topic as from your post on the Costa Rica forum.

Thank you,
Christine

Tommy1313 wrote:

No have driven in the US for many years been there done with that .....how hard is the permits to get?  Or is it just cash?   Going to spend more time in CR so I'm sure something will pop!!!!!

If you want to drive a truck for pay legally in CR, you would have to find an American company to hire you there  adn sponsor you (not sure if that's likely) or you'd have to first become a CR citizen.

If you are willing to work illegally, you can always go down on a 90 day tourist visa and talk to people. Do you speak fluent Spanish? If not I doubt you'd be able to get a job other than if an American company hired you to work there - again I am guessing that would not be likely.

Also I don't know what the pay is in CR for truck drivers but I am guessing it's probably about 1/10 of what you are used to making. For info on residency etc see arcr.net

@Tommy1313.......It is not going to happen for you here......We wouldn't be Costa Rica if we allowed all the tourists,from the 4 corners of the earth,to come in and even step in line,in front of 1 Costarricense,seeking a job.....End of discussion.....North America and Europe can learn a lot from Costa Rica-----can they not ?

That's right. You cannot legally compete for any job that could be done by a Costa Rican citizen.

I'm looking to move down There i was looking to open my own Taxi business or drive for somebody. or maybe even open my own wholesale business which I've had here at one time.

@Wellmark91.....This would be suicide.....You do not come into a country like this and start competing with Costarricenses,there is laws for this too ! A whole sale business,do tell ?

I'm looking to move down There i was looking to open my own Taxi business or drive for somebody. or maybe even open my own wholesale business which I've had here at one time.

-@Wellmark913

You should be aware that the bureaucracy surrounding commercial activities here is likely as onerous as it is anywhere you're currently located, so bring lots of money and prepare to wait . . and wait. It's true that you can create a new business here, but you cannot actually work in that business until you have achieved permanent legal residency. That typically takes about five years from when your temporary legal residency is actually granted. As noted above, you cannot compete with a Costa Rican citizen for any type of work for which they are qualified. If there were a demand for a taxi business wherever you are located in Costa Rica, it will have long since been filled.

@Tommy1313

If you are caught working, without official permission from Migracion, and without permanent Residency status, you will be marched to the border and ordered to leave and most likely, you won't be allowed to return here.  Really.  They won't give you time to sell your things or ship them back home, find a new 'dad' for your dog; etc.  They are really strict about that.  You may even have to pay a fine before you are allowed to board a flight or cross into Panama (good luck there!) or Nicaragua. 

Glad you like it here.... but you'll have to apply for residency like most of the rest of us.  Of course, you can live here without Residency if you leave every 180 days and then re-enter; and even buy a house; but you won't get work permission without Permanent Residency.