Can one live comfortably on Australian pension

I am looking to visit Phillipines and have been told to go to Cebu and surrounding areas for safety? I am arered single aussie woman. I am interested in living near a beach not too far from shopping etc. I dont like cities. Is it possible to live on $715 per fortnight in the phillipines

Yes now is see ur Question, well My wife & I and 3 kids live very comfortably on just that $715 per fortnight equals 60,000p
per month, the kids go to private school (cost about 15,000p)
and food cloths etc for kids would equate to half our budget.
we have unlimited broadband, pay TV,run a car and scooter
but pay no rent(purchased our units)
so I would think that a single person could pay rent and live a great livestyle on that money.
we live in the provences, Metro Naga is the 8 biggest metro in Phills but is small compared with Cebu and Manila.
we lived in Manila for 12 months, I did not like it,
I would think u would need some capitol when u come here, to get ur 13a visa and I suggest buying a scooter to get around on
one of the great thing here is there is plenty expats and we meet for a few beers at local bar couple times a week
also fresh vegies are so cheap and fresh
any other question I'm happy to help
Pete

Thanks for your info I am not a city lover so cebu is not for me. But because i have never been to the Phillipines I would love some suggestions of where I should look at and meet some  fellow expats swimming is very much part of my life thanks for replying

Hi, I think the Cebu area is for u from what I've read there is plenty of water, I do't know about expat females but check out Charles website
retiringphilippines.org/
Pete

Barry
wages r so low here, and willing worker so plentiful
a builder get 3-400peso per day $7.5-10 p/day
so if u can find a job u can't live on the wage
also foreigner find in very hard to get a job
my advise to all foreigner is not to come to live in Phill unless u have a sourse of income overseas(like Aust Pension)
the local foreigners have already had to chip in to send destitute expats home cause they were living on the streets
Pete

sometimes ago you replied to a query about living on an australian pension in the phillipines. I hate cities and wondered where you would suggest a retired woman should look near the beach that is not tourist resort area, eg high rise hotels. have you any suggestions and do you know of any aussies living over there or new zealanders thanks

HI Roz
I know of plenty of expat British, American and Germans living in and around Naga where I live but they are all male but I've seen some foreigner female(not meet them) there are plenty of nice places to live in Phillipines, my suggestion is come here on holidays, have a good look around, we would be happy to show u around Naga District, u would have worked out by now u can live here on the pension but u will need some capitol for safety
Pete

U can afford to live on the pension    yes....   will your quality of life be better  here then in australia ....    yes.

WILL  U LIVE  LIKE A KING......no.
Do not rose color your specs just yet.
If u live simply ( like most people do back home) then you will be fine....  if u want to party  drink travel and get bored easy then  u are going to need a lot more.
I have fell into that trap before and I am starting to work my way out of it.( I'm young and stupid   I know that  and well  atleast  I have lived the wrong way and now know how to live the right way).
If u are interested in comming here   then pm me   
I joined this site as I have alot of good  honest and non biased information to share with people.
I will not fill u full of pie in the sky Bola bola( oh lordy lordy lordy yes people speak english here  but the rewards for learning a language are priceless)
I am in the process of moving out of the city to the province for a more cheaper  but also rewarding lifestyle( this lifestyle is not for everyone).
If u come here   well   most people know me around cebu.... I have gained a reputation as being honest and sound( without meaning to   its just how I am)   but  not all of us expats are to be trusted     also  so please  keep that in mind...

My advice to u.... stop researching    grow some guts  get on a plane and see it for yourself....  its the only way  u will know.... forums are great  but being here   if only for a short time... well that is the only thing u should be doing.
Its not a waste of money    actually  it could save u money in the long run.

HELLO:
      I AM A AMERICAN LIVING ON NEGROS ISLAND NEAR THE BEACH...DAUIN IS A SMALL VILLAGE....I HAD A SMALL COTTAGE BUILT WHILE TEACHING IN THAILAND....YES, U CAN LIVE GOOD HERE ON YOUR MONEY....IF I NEED TO GO TO A BIG CITY CEBU IS 4 HOURS AWAY BY BUS...LIVE IS RELAXING HERE...5 YEARS AND COUNTING.....JOE

Hi Joe,

Can you please lower cap you post, that will be more easy to read :)

Thank you,

David.

I just did a road trip to Marinduque. Seems to be a lot of German expats and area seemed pleasant. But no single white women who are retired. You would find it different. Best to visit for a few months before you decid

Hey Roz,
In a nut shell the answer is no. Especially if you are going anywhere near Cebu. Your standard of living would be severly hampered compared to what is available in OZ. As for it being the safest or the best place, that is not true. There are a number of places to live over here which are more cost effective.
Manila and Cebu are not the 2 best places unless you have a wad load of cash, or plan on supplimenting your pension with investments from Oz or some kind of business over here.

All the best.
john

dhnindc wrote:

I just did a road trip to Marinduque. Seems to be a lot of German expats and area seemed pleasant. But no single white women who are retired. You would find it different. Best to visit for a few months before you decid

single white women that are retired are few and far between in this country...

I know of a few   a very small few.
but there are a few couple's I have seen  but they don't tend to stay here that long.

As for Asian countries Philippines has very little really  going for it.
Our tourism here is substandard with many beach side resorts on terrible beaches.. the over population scares many off not to mention the one price for us one price for them which leaves many with a bad taste in their mouth.

I hate the cities but for many retired people  regular hospital visits are essential to their life.
Information here is terrible... 10 years ago  it was non existent so even a little improvement i guess is a great improvement.

The RP  is not for everyone. Some days i wonder if it is for me other days I wonder how I can could ever live anywhere else.

And it is so much easier for a man in this country to get around then a woman.
The biggest thing most people do not like about here is u can not own anything.... at all... a condo  yes   but would u want one?

Thatawesomeguy wrote:
dhnindc wrote:

single white women that are retired are few and far between in this country...

I know of a few   a very small few.
but there are a few couple's I have seen  but they don't tend to stay here that long.

As for Asian countries Philippines has very little really  going for it.
Our tourism here is substandard with many beach side resorts on terrible beaches.. the over population scares many off not to mention the one price for us one price for them which leaves many with a bad taste in their mouth.

I hate the cities but for many retired people  regular hospital visits are essential to their life.
Information here is terrible... 10 years ago  it was non existent so even a little improvement i guess is a great improvement.

The RP  is not for everyone. Some days i wonder if it is for me other days I wonder how I can could ever live anywhere else.

And it is so much easier for a man in this country to get around then a woman.
The biggest thing most people do not like about here is u can not own anything.... at all... a condo  yes   but would u want one?

You're mistaken...Once you have that permanent residence visa...You can own a single family home up to a certain size, you can own your own business building up to a certain size..However you have to lease the land...You can own your own car and business equipment also..Through corporations you can own a percentage of more then one home, condos and businesses...

roz3 wrote:

sometimes ago you replied to a query about living on an australian pension in the phillipines. I hate cities and wondered where you would suggest a retired woman should look near the beach that is not tourist resort area, eg high rise hotels. have you any suggestions and do you know of any aussies living over there or new zealanders thanks

Hi Roz3...Try Puerto Galera...There are many expats there and the manager of the Yacht Club is a middle-aged New Zealand woman...and I would say 20% of the expats are Aussies..If you want more info and photos contact me at 1eyedhustler@gmail.com..

yes i got the perfect place for you,please contact me for more information,the owner is assie just like you.

i think you will fit perfect in thE D umaquete/Siquijor area,very contryside area,cheap and nice beaches,lots of foriegners there including Aussie,Germans,Americans etc.,just rent a place and explore until you find the right suitable place,illbe doing that sometime next year,if you need help let me know and i can have my gf be your tour guide,thanks and good luck.

Hi Roz, I am from Melbourne and I have just come back from Cebu. I loved it and planning on going back there in the next few months. It is possible to live on that income, but not excessively. I too am a pensioner and I am looking forward to moving there...Good Luck....

cool.cebu is one of my choices but i wont decide until i go there and spend some time,only then will i decide but it will be somewhere in Pinas.

Hello.I live in the USA now and will be moving to the phils in Oct.I,ve been to phils 18 or 19 times over the past 7 years and traveled a lot of the country.What I have found was two places that are nice to live in and finial bought a piece of land in Dumagette Philippines over looking the sea and mountain behind.The people of Dumagette are really nice people.People of Dumagette are called the gentle people.It is a small community that is very clean compared to There are a lot of expats that live there from all over the world.Alot from Austria.I live 15 mins out of the city that has a airport shopping mall etc.Things are reasonable there and one person could live on the money you said with comfort.Another place you might check out is Camiguin island Philippines.It has a smaller population but far less convience.Good luck in your new adventure.Please contact me back if you need more information.

you may visit puerto princesa city in palawan
you can see different kinds of blue watwer beaches and white sand near the city.

I SUPPORT MY FAMILY  and help my Girlfriends Family ( We get Married This Year ) AND HAVE A 3 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER , I own and built our House 3 stories 4 bathrooms in Northern Samar ... I Live very comfortable on $200 Aust., a week and ofcoarse No Rent this includes all living expenses and 2 nights away in a Motel to Enjoy a Change ..  Yes you can Live well in most places in the Philippines  except Manila where costs are much Higher . Leyte,Cebu, Negros , Many Places to try .....

yep   if  u need decent medical though   then look for somewhere  where there is decent medical facilities

It all depends on what u want   and the only way to find out if u can  is to bite the bullet   pack some bags and see it for yourself

i have mates that can not live on less then 4000 dollars a month here   i have mates that live on 700 a month
lifestyle      its all about lifestyle

hi , I am considering moving to manilla and would like to know if  it is a  dangerous place to be and are there any places I shud avoid. thank you

Manila is a big city, and yes has dangerous areas.  Try to stay around Makati, Fort Bonafacio until you get to know the city. Over 25mm people here and growing.

I wish to thank all thathave given me advice on my intended move to Cebu. I fly into Cebu on August 22 and I hope to live there on a permanent basis. Thanks again and thank you to this Blog....
Aussiemichael

please keep me inform of your progress,as Cebu,will be one of   my choices,try to check out mactan small  little island close to Cebu,just a bridge closing away.lots of expats there,thanks.

I will keep you posted as to my progress. I leave on August 22 and have an apartelle to go to, so at least I will not be paying high prices for an hotel. I have been to Mactan and I hope to visit there again. Thanks for your post...
Regards
Michael

Hi i to am interested in residing in Philippines i have visited before i am 49 recieve dsp pension from research ive done im not sure i can stay full time and keep recieving my pension does anyone know of someone or heard of anyone on Dsp that resides there fulltime or at least for more than 6 weeks

Hi Jondoe,
I am not too sure which pension you have, but I will tell you that I have been here since August 22 last year and I am in receipt of an Old Age Pension through the DVA, I also receive a small disability entitlement from DVA.
What you do lose when you stay over the 6 week period, is a good portion of the Allowances that one gets. Such as an energy allowance, internet and other such allowances. Other than that, I receive all of my pensions and entitlements.
I am now residing in Cebu and enjoying it....
Just drop me a line if you need more info..
Cheers

Hi mike
thanks for your reply
i recieve disability pension. yes i think  age pension is ok for one to liv abroad and rightly so. In my case as far as i have read i may have to be assessed by centrelink as to future job capacity and so on just not sure i want to go down that road i am on 100% DSP for RA reaumatoid arthritis i get along ok with medication but will not risk or ruin my body again just because a government doctor believes im fit enough to hold down a job. I gave my all for many years working and this is the end result. Anyway im happy your doing well there in Cebu i have heard a lot of nice things about the place.

Hi, I must admit that with my DVA disability, I cannot get any free treatment here and any medications relating to my accepted disabilities, I have to buy myself and then claim them within two years in Australia.
I am not too sure how the DP works for people in your age group.
Any information you might need, just let me know.
All the very best.

roz3 you need more than just the pension to live here the aus$715 is only p25,000 at todays rate what happens if our dollar falls, i can live on p50,000 a month but thats just everyday needs we own our house,car,2 motorcycles, you need to visit yourself if you know someone already here thats a big help, we have many foreigners here in samar one is a single woman, but on your budget forget about manila and cebu and big shopping centres.

get rid of these scammers