Foreign driver license conversion

So I'm in Philippines now and have 90 days to use my US driver license. I want to convert it but need ACR-I card. I am on balikbayan one year visa. Went to immigration and they wont give me an ACR -I card since I have one year on visa. I said I will be applying for 13a visa, which takes 2 months to get approved then I can get ACR-I card. I dont think I could get the ACR-I card before the 90 days is up, Wondering how to get a drivers license

Have you gone to LTO with your spouse and applied for a Philippines Drivers license? 

I never had to show ACR-I card, ever in past 11 years of getting or renewing my license.

If you need a contact at LTO in Las Pinas, I can help you.

I just renewed my license, good for 10 years, you are required to take a test online at LTO Portal, get medical exam, and fill out application and submit at LTO.  They will get your fingerprints and photo at LTO.

Right now they are only issuing paper drivers license, but when I renewed, I got the plastic card.

Good Luck.

You might find that by using Google you can get all the answers from questions you ask on here.

I converted my US license to a Philippine license 60 days into my 12-month BB privilege.   My passport, US DL,  and a barangay ID card were the only paperwork I needed.  Every office is different as I have heard, so trying another office may be the ticket.

awesome, thanks. I just saw the other post about this! Google told me I need ACR card, but yep, I don't think so now. I will just go to LTO in my wifes place. Couldnt find the one where we live, they moved apparently!

Just a heads up for anyone in Cebu and over 60:

The LTO office next to the south bus terminal is for government employees and seniors only. I have been there twice and was basically in-out in 20 mins. There are a few places across the street that do copies of passport and visa and there's a couple places for your physical too. They gave me my temp back in May or June, whenever it was, and told me to come back in October for the hard copy. I had the temp shrunk down and laminated front/back to fit in pocket.

@Filamretire

I went to the LTO that had a reputation for an easy process and the guy did ask for my ACR number. I had applied for my ACR card but had not yet picked it up. For a moment it looked like I would have to return with my ACR card but my wife encouraged him to try the ACR application number on my receipt. He punched in the number, the system accepted it, and I left the LTO with my new Philippine driver's license in my wallet.

I have a Dutch driver's licence, just arrived in the Philippines and bought a motorcycle. My Filipina and I are not married yet. How can I get a Filipino licence the easiest way? I heard the LTO have a website now which should make things easier. How does it work? Thanks your input.

@yawg

You can download the application form on the LTO web site and fill that out. I had one nicely typed but forgot it and had to fill out another one at the LTO. They do ask for your ACR card number so that may be a problem if you've just arrived and don't have the card yet. There are a few rules about length of stay and time left on your visa but the LTO I went to overlooked all that. I thought it was not going to happen when he asked for my ACR card number. I had applied for the card but had not picked it up. I did have the receipt so he punched in the order number on the receipt and it was accepted so 45 minutes later I walked out with my Philippine license in my pocket. Make sure your shirt has sleeves and you may be good to go. Doesn't hurt to try.

@Lenny Gemar how long do we have to leave the country to get a BB privilege visa?

@Moon Dog which office?

@Moon Dog which office?

-@nickfisher0640

The Carigara office in Leyte.  It is famous locally for being lenient. I could have went to Naval and saved an hour of driving time but probably would have been turned away for not having my ACR card and/or not enough time left on my visa.

My wife never drove a motorcycle in her life but they gave her the motorcycle endorsement. She did wear a sleeveless blouse which is a no no but they gave her something to cover her shoulders for the photo.

My wife never drove a motorcycle in her life but they gave her the motorcycle endorsement.

Without a test? Actually I am not sure that is a good thing for her or others. It is much harder to safely get around here on a motorbike than a car.

@danfinn

No worries, she bought a Rusi Rush and was going to learn to ride it. She started by practicing on my electric scooter in the front yard but there was a minor accident, her knee was scraped, she gave up the idea and donated the Rusi to our sister in law.

@nickfisher0640

my husband and I went to Singapore just for a quick dinner and come back on the same day. The immigration officer just laugh when we were asked that we went there just to have dinner lol.

@nickfisher0640
my husband and I went to Singapore just for a quick dinner and come back on the same day. The immigration officer just laugh when we were asked that we went there just to have dinner lol.

-@Platypus1985

Had you considered Hong Kong?  Shorter flights, they also have a variety of restaurants.

@mugteck what about Taiwan?? Super cheap flights and close to Philippines.

@mugteck what about Taiwan?? Super cheap flights and close to Philippines.

-@nickfisher0640

Also works

@danfinn
No worries, she bought a Rusi Rush and was going to learn to ride it. She started by practicing on my electric scooter in the front yard but there was a minor accident, her knee was scraped, she gave up the idea and donated the Rusi to our sister in law.

-@Moon Dog

I will not buy a motorbike because here in Dumaguete, it is not a matter of if but when you crash and when you do, how severe is the injury? People younger than I would survive the imminent crash better than I. One thing I do find interesting as a compromise between motorbike and car are those Indian Tuk Tuks. also sold by Rusi here. I would only buy from Rusi because I know they can and will repair when something goes wrong. I don't think I need to upgrade my license to drive a Tuk Tuk although it is motorbike based.

@danfinn

Not so bad here in the province, but still dangerous. If you have a lick of sense you will probably be alright. Check out this guy who tried to pass me on the right when I was turning right with my right turn signal on. The bike was showing no registration and  probably had no brakes. They only stop these guys at checkpoints and there are plenty of detours around the usual checkpoint locations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc-4WD5kOXM

The local term for the 3-wheelers like the Piaggio Ape is mocabs. If it is considered a tricycle by Philippine law you may need an endorsement on your license. I have the tricycle endorsement because I owned a traditional tricycle at the time and I mentioned it to the gentleman at the Carigara LTO.

@nickfisher0640 I've heard differing responses.  Some say leave and return the same day and others it must be 24 hours.  It probably depends on the immigration agent you get when you return.  To be safe, make it an overnight somewhere or even a minivacation to Taiwan, Singapore, or Guam.

@Lenny Gemar

I had to book an ongoing flight when I checked in at the airport otherwise I couldn't board my plane to the Philippines. The cheapest flight I found was to Singapore. Took me 15 minutes. 👍

@yawg

The cheapest flight I found was to Singapore. Took me 15 minutes.

How much did you pay?

@Lotus Eater

thats a quick flight🙃

I successfully converted my foreign drivers license. No need for a 120 day visa stamp on my passport like required at another LTO location that I went to before. I went in at 9:30 am and walked out with my Philippines license at 11:45.

So, it's just a matter of finding the right location. I was wondering why everyone kept telling me to go to this specific location. Well, they were right. Only costs ₱785 to convert the foreign license.

@mikenmanila. Philippines is back to normal, fixers are alive and well at LTO, BOI, NSO just had a visit a few weeks ago, Duterte put a stop in most of those to fixers, but I did notice at LTO the fixers are not outside, they are inside working for the LTO now same in immigration

@mikenmanila no more driving test in Davao to get license renewal

Without a fixer you are fuxxed. I lost my motorcycle licence and only got a car/tricycle one. A stoopid ole woman at the medical. Be warned. Next year I come back with an international driver's license. LTO @ Bulua CdO.

Okieboy said . . . . Philippines is back to normal, fixers are alive and well at LTO, BOI, NSO just had a visit a few weeks ago, Duterte put a stop in most of those to fixers, but I did notice at LTO the fixers are not outside, they are inside working for the LTO now same in immigration

The normal I witnessed five years ago, stepping out of the Doctors a fixer offered their help for P5000, which I declined.

Then sitting in the LTO the woman sitting next to me offered her help for P1000, which I declined.       

Without a fixer you are fuxxed. I lost my motorcycle licence and only got a car/tricycle one. A stoopid ole woman at the medical. Be warned. Next year I come back with an international driver's license. LTO @ Bulua CdO.         -@yawg

Yawg, in the Philippines anytime you lose an LTO drivers license of any kind it is sort of a big deal to replace it. You need to go to a lawyer and get a notarized affidavit of loss and make an appointment to meet a certain LTO official. The appointment part may take a while depending on location. Then you go to the LTO license application are, file for a lost license, pay at the cashier and you probably need not wait in the line for taking pictures. As for an international driver's license, I would check that out further. It may be that you must have a valid local license from home and it you came for a country that doesn't speak English, the international license is just the translated version of your home license that they insist on. Your license will be in English, so you do not need the international one.  In any case, your home license here is only good for 60 days. In that respect, many foreigners choose not to follow the 60-day rule and police do not usually ask to see your passport to check when you came in. But if you do ever get a permanent resident visa like 13A or SRRV and drive a motor vehicle, then you should get a license.

@Okieboy yeah I seen a few fixers inside the LTO..it was crazy. However, I did not need to use one to convert my license. But I feel like if I want to add the motorcycle code onto my license I will need one if I don't want to take the class and test. But I actually want to take those so I can learn some things. Unless they don't really teach you anything. If they are like the medical testers than it's a waste of time. Also, the only immigration office that is legit, no bribes and super quick (10 mins) is the Mactan location at the Island Mall Gaisano.

@nickfisher0640 I just renewed my license, no test, from what I hear from others no test in any LTO in Davao City or surrounding province

@nickfisher0640 I just renewed my license, no test, from what I hear from others no test in any LTO in Davao City or surrounding province

-@Okieboy

Sure, I believe that is the same everywhere BUT: At least in Dumaguete, if you do decide to take the online course and take the test, then print out the passing test result and bring that to LTO along with other docs like the medical certificate, instead of just a 5-year renewal they give you a 10-year renewal. Since taking the course is not very time consuming and the online course is easy (interestingly, having little to do with the material covered in the course), I think it is worth taking the test to delay the next LTO visit by another 5 years.

@danfinn  I received the

10 years license, I did see a computer with different traffic signs on the screen, I guess it could be used for a test, every LTO has it's own rules, and anything is possible, a friend of mine bought a new car, the next day his wife showed him her License, she had never driven a car before, he asked where she got it, she said LTO 3000 peso, like I have said anything is possible in the Philippines if you have enough pesos

@danfinn. There is no test for a motorbike indorsement, when I had my foreign license converted I told him I ride a motorbike he added it on, as far as I know there is no driving test of any kind , at least not in Davao

What you are pointing out is the lack of consistency amongst LTO offices and it is true that office managers can and often do set their own rules. That is why I specified Dumaguete iny case. I think I have read your assertion before that, with enough money anything is possible in the Philippines . Although I know what you mean, this is largely not so true anymore. This is no longer the 3rd world country of the early 90's and earlier when bribery was everywhere. I only mention this because there are newbies reading this who might actually believe you. For example, don't try to pay off cops at a checkpoint...that could backfire on you. Don't use fixers to get Visa's and things like that because you will get caught and there will be penalties. When I first came here in the 80's I would have agreed that money made anything possible, you could even  pay a few pesos to a coast guard inspector to allow you a seat on an overcrowded boat but that stuff is no more.

@danfinn. There is no test for a motorbike indorsement, when I had my foreign license converted I told him I ride a motorbike he added it on, as far as I know there is no driving test of any kind , at least not in Davao

-@Okieboy

In my experience Mindanao follows more "lenient" LTO rules than the rest of the country and there are cases I know of where LTO in Dipolog will register your vehicle located in a different province, sight unseen, for 10k. I forgot about that. But that is Mindanao, sort of like a different country. We all of the same laws, it's just that in some cases they are interpreted differently there.

@danfinn you are so wrong, anything is possible, the corruption has not changed, a little did when Duterte was president, but as I said things are back as usual, I have saw so many things happen , some so crazy hard to believe, my neighbours brother was charged with murder the charges were dropped 3 weeks ago, the trial has lasted 27 years 3 of his accuser's have died, the other has disappeared, on another case two young men in my purok got into a fight one was killed the one accused agreed to pay the family of the dead man, case closed, I could go on and on but corruption is in the culture of the Philippines it will take many years to correct

@danfinn bribery is still rampant. I seen 3 fixers inside the LTO office in Cebu. They were working with the LTO. There's fixers at one of the immigration offices that I used to go to. I don't think people will get caught. I know if I do it I will get caught because that's how my luck works. God doesn't let me get away with anything. Lol but others are getting away with it on the daily in Cebu. If you have money you can basically get away with murder it seems. Seems like the wild west. One of the fixers looked like some kind of mafia guy or something. He looked like a guy I would never cross. Also, the medical testers didn't ask me one question. They didn't ask if I have a history of seizures or anything at all. They didn't check my eyesight..NOTHING. They just measured my height and weight and wrote down my eyesight. They told me to sit in a chair and I simply waited until they printed out the certificate. The entire system is corrupt and this is still a third world country for F*** sake!! Next door there's a construction worker that makes $12.50 USD a day. The house he's working on is worth $125,000-$140,000 USD. That's third world SLAVERY!!! Geez, where are you living? What world are you living in??

@nickfisher0640 answered the voices he hears in his head:  "Geez, where are you living? What world are you living in??"

I get amused talking to these clueless newbies who come to forums like this and immediately begin to troll. You have no idea what this country was like in 1988 when it was still a 3rd world country and all kinds of bribery and corruption were rampant. We got married here in 1988  How long have you been completed ng here, troll? The Philippines is a developing country now, certainly not perfect but US cities like Chicago have more corruption. Go away troll, go find another forum to fluck around with.

@danfinn good job of addressing the points I made. 😂

I've never seen corruption out in the open in the US..EVER! They have corruption behind closed doors but never seen a fixer in a licence office or immigration office. Never seen a corrupt medical center like that. The US is just as corrupt as anywhere but in the US you gotta be in their club. The regular folks can't get away with stuff in the US. Over here anybody with a few pesos can get away with anything. Why are you so mad that the truth is being pointed out? Why are you defending a country that pays people $1.56 per hour to do hard labor? You're the troll and you're blind.