Can I drive in the UK with a Chinese license?

Hello,

Am I able to drive in the UK with a Chinese driving license?

I'm a UK citizen with Chinese residency. I'm returning to the UK this summer with a Chinese driving license from Shanghai. I've not got a UK license. My Chinese license uses a Chinese name, not my actual name found in my passport (only Chinese names allowed)

According to the DVLA website, I can drive for up to a year with a non Uk license, but if it's not got my name is that a problem? It does have my photo and passport number.

Has anyone had a similar situation to this or any advice?

Thanks for any help!

Not been through this, but if it has YOUR details and is correct then I can not see a problem. You may need an IDP though?

It has my passport number, nationality and my photo. Just not my actual name. It's a Chinese name in Chinese characters that bares no resemblance to my passport name. I'm just paranoid that if I was pulled over and the police looked at that and didn't see my name I'd be in trouble.

It has my passport number, nationality and my photo. Just not my actual name. It's a Chinese name in Chinese characters that bares no resemblance to my passport name. I'm just paranoid that if I was pulled over and the police looked at that and didn't see my name I'd be in trouble.
-@alnaz

Ok, why is it, not your real name? If you trying to hide and avoid the police. Posting on a public forum isn't a wise idea.

Because all Chinese driving licenses must use  Chinese names and Chinese characters irrespective of nationality. If you are not Chinese you can choose a Chinese name and that will be the name on the license.

Because all Chinese driving licenses must use Chinese names and Chinese characters irrespective of nationality. If you are not Chinese you can choose a Chinese name and that will be the name on the license.
-@alnaz

Sorry for the miss understanding, then of course your licence is OK. You need an (IDP) international driving permit. Wher you get that you will have to ask in the China forum.

@alnaz Yes, as a UK citizen with a Chinese residency, you can drive in the UK with a Chinese driving license for up to 12 months. Carry an International Driving Permit (IDP) if your license is not in English. Ensure your license is valid and bring proof of UK residency. Follow UK traffic laws.
-@sophiaWindsor02

Why/how would proof of UK residency be a requirement?  Read your answer again please.

Do you mean proof of Chinese residency? Ie the work permit/residence permit from China?

UK citizens do not need a UK resident permit under any circumstances (they don't exist).  Chinese driving licence holders can drive in the UK for up to 12 months; they will need an IDP or a notarised certified translation of the Chinese licence.  After 12 months if the person remains in the UK, the only option is to take the UK driving test but bear in mind that this takes time (currently a minimum of 14 weeks).

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

Yes very much so! Thank you 1f600.svg

so I am over and I successfully managed to rent a car with my Chinese license. All I needed was my drivers license and a translation which I was actually able to get from alipay! It came in multiple languages which is good if I ever want to travel in other parts of Europe.

I know I'm good to drive with this license for up to a year but as I'm coming and going it won't make a difference.

@alnaz

Hi, could you please provide information where did you make this Notarization and Official translation of Chinese Driving License?

I am also holding Chinese license and moving to UK in coming weeks. Thanks!

I got it through alipay. its one of the services on there.

@alnaz you made only translation or also notarization?

Translation only