My recent Visa run at VN/CAM border Moc Bai (unvaccinated guys)

I've done my Visa border run at Moc Bai two days ago, the process was smooth and easy unlike whatever I've been told & read here and there. I'm unvaccinated and that added to my worrisome. 
  • I applied for my eVisa online- Aug/22 and received email notification of approval on August 25 plaid $25 USD online. 
  • Hired a van / driver for a round trip from HCM to Moc bay and back to HCMC $60 USD
  • Arrived at the VN border @ 9:45AM and got the exit stamp after showing my old evisa. Note: nobody asked about my vaccination status (obviously)
  • At the Bavet checkpoint Cambodian side they'll ask you if you have proof of vacation, if not they'll ask if you have negative test results... I didn't either have the test results nor vaccinated so they got the quick COVID test right there which took only 5min and the charge was 200k VND... after that I got my Cambodia Visa on arrival VOA after I paid $35 USD
  • I did just a quick U-turn walking around the Cambodia check point's building by the exit checkpoint kiosk...got my passport exit stamp after I show my VN evisa....note; no questions about vaccine status or test results.
  • Entered Vietnam checkpoint got my Visa stamp by showing the evisa and again no questions about vaccine or test results.
  • I walked to my driver's parking spot that was very close to the checkpoint for driving back to HCMC 
The entire process at the border took almost 2 hours due to hug lineup.
You have the option to pay all your fees either with VND or USD. 
Also if you want to take negative test results with you it cost about $40 USD in HCMC hospital for antigen rapid test make sure it has QR code and valid for 24h..I had my test at the border for 200k VN about $8.6 USD and as I said just took 5 minutes.

I just wanted to share my "experience" with you guys and give you the most "recent" update as I've read a lot of outdated info here in this forum. And BTW thanks to @Aidan in HCMC for the heads up info.

@speedy

Thanks for that detailed report
@SpeedyBuddha
And thank you for the detailed report!

I've done my Visa border run at Moc Bai two days ago, the process was smooth and easy unlike whatever I've been told & read here and there. I'm unvaccinated and that added to my worrisome.
  • I applied for my [link under review]- Aug/22 and received email notification of approval on August 25 plaid $25 USD online.
  • Hired a van / driver for a round trip from HCM to Moc bay and back to HCMC $60 USD
  • Arrived at the VN border @ 9:45AM and got the exit stamp after showing my old evisa. Note: nobody asked about my vaccination status (obviously)
  • At the Bavet checkpoint Cambodian side they'll ask you if you have proof of vacation, if not they'll ask if you have negative test results... I didn't either have the test results nor vaccinated so they got the quick COVID test right there which took only 5min and the charge was 200k VND... after that I got my Cambodia Visa on arrival VOA after I paid $35 USD
  • I did just a quick U-turn walking around the Cambodia check point's building by the exit checkpoint kiosk...got my passport exit stamp after I show my VN evisa....note; no questions about vaccine status or test results.
  • Entered Vietnam checkpoint got my Visa stamp by showing the evisa and again no questions about vaccine or test results.
  • I walked to my driver's parking spot that was very close to the checkpoint for driving back to HCMC
The entire process at the border took almost 2 hours due to hug lineup.
You have the option to pay all your fees either with VND or USD.
Also if you want to take negative test results with you it cost about $40 USD in HCMC hospital for antigen rapid test make sure it has QR code and valid for 24h..I had my test at the border for 200k VN about $8.6 USD and as I said just took 5 minutes.

I just wanted to share my "experience" with you guys and give you the most "recent" update as I've read a lot of outdated info here in this forum. And BTW thanks to @Aidan in HCMC for the heads up info.
- @SpeedyBuddha

many thanks for those details. 1f600.svg
Many thanks for the details.
I will arrive in Vietnam shortly and will stay for probably 2 years without working. I'm a bit scared about the visa run : is it possible to that during 24 mounts without having problems ?
Thank for your help.
Franck
@Franck

Welcome to forum, no doubt it will get less scary the more you do it, also the 30-day visa may change.
@franckgeyer
Hi Franck.
How soon will you arrive? Have you decided on a location to start your stay here yet?
Have you been to VN before? Please tell us more when you have time.

As Andy mentioned, the 30 day eVisa may (hopefully will) change, and yes, after a couple of runs the border excursions will be like second nature to you. No need to fret. I wouldn't be surprised if visa requirements changed 2 or more times over your 2 year stay here.

Many helpful folk on expat.com.
Welcome aboard.
Thanks much for this useful information.

I'd just like to mention for those unfamilar with visa runs that doing this type of *border run* is just one option. For various reasons many people like to take care of it as quickly as possible in a single day.

However, as you need to exit Vietnam anyway and hence enter another country, you can also spend some time in the other country (or even several countries) before returning to VN.

Flying in and out is another option if you'd like to explore the region beyond Cambodia.

Of course, the problem is, with the limitation of the 30-day visa policy, your expenses can add up quickly.

Also, I think you need to state your date of arrival in VN, which can complicate matters if you're uncertain about how long you'll be gone.

Anyway, I think the main reason people hate visa runs is because this border run approach causes a lot of stress.

@johnross23 👍 that's so true

I think the main reason people hate visa runs is because this border run approach causes a lot of stress.
- @johnross23

Especially if they are non-vaccinated and facing the possibility of:

1. Testing positive for COVID-19

2. Not being allowed to simply enter and leave Cambodia and return to Vietnam.

3. Having to submit to the Cambodian government's requirements regarding quarantine in an authorized location AND pay for the privilege AND any treatment ordered.

4. Eventually returning to Vietnam with less than 30 days authorized to remain in country (unless they pay for a new eVisa while waiting in quarantine).

Definitely stressful...

@franckgeyer wow. I hope it changes. That's a lot of visa runs if not. Don't think I could do it.  I'm hoping for resumption of the 3 month visa but it would be nice to get the 6 month one with a US passport Then there is one visa run at 90 days. For me a single 30 days will be fine for a visit from Cambodia and then go back. Then in a few months I want to go back but visit da nang, hoi an and hue. Good luck with the 2 year thing. You should get to know all the land borders really well 😀

Depending who is on the counter at the Vietnamese entry booth you may have to pay 100,000 vnd coffee money. The rest is fine. You'll need vaccination certificate showing number of vaccines (for Cambodia entry booth) and also print out of your current Evisa to hand in when exiting Vietnam.
Thank you all for those informations.
Could someone answer to this ? :
- can the evisa be refused afther several mounts ? Same kind of question at the border : if I always go to the same border check point (Lao Bao), can they refuse the visa at arrival for Laos or refuse to accept my evisa for Vietnam, because they see that I've done to many time this think ?
Thanks for your help
@Dantès I'm new to VN and I'm not expert on that but I don't think they just can simply reject you with E-visa in your hand. I mean logically, when you apply for e-visa you already passed half way of screening so if there is some sort of red flag or anything else then you shouldn't be qualified for e-visa at first step. Unless there is something like positive Covid test result or else that might waste your time at the border. But good question about Cambodian VOA .
Yet again I'm not expert and maybe I'm wrong but I'm really curious to know. Thanks for sharing your thought.
Depending who is on the counter at the Vietnamese entry booth you may have to pay 100,000 vnd coffee money. The rest is fine. You'll need vaccination certificate showing number of vaccines (for Cambodia entry booth) and also print out of your current Evisa to hand in when exiting Vietnam.
- @panda7

Hi Panda. According to the Cambodia expat.com expert, vaccination certificate(s) are no longer necessary to enter Cambodia.

Proof of vaccination now allows one to skip the Rapid Antigen Test at the Cambodia border.
Glad you made it through, and back.
Thank you all for those informations.
Could someone answer to this ? :
- can the evisa be refused afther several mounts ? Same kind of question at the border : if I always go to the same border check point (Lao Bao), can they refuse the visa at arrival for Laos or refuse to accept my evisa for Vietnam, because they see that I've done to many time this think ?
Thanks for your help
- @Dantès

Hi Dantes. Though the immigration officials at the VN/Laos border do have the authority to refuse you entry even though you already hold a Laos eVisa, it is not likely they would do that simply because you have exited-entered through the same checkpoint prior.
Thousands of expats are now making monthly border runs every 30 days, often to the nearest border checkpoint to their VN home base. Believe me when I say that you are not alone in using the same border crossing, and that the immigration officers (both VN and Laos, and yes Cambodian too) are very used to seeing repeat "customers".

Hope this helps.

@panda7 Not in my case though.. I don't have vaccine certificate cuz I'm not vaxed so I had to pay 200K VND for a rapid test at the Cambodian border... and for re-entering to Vietnam no vaccine nor test... even for the evisa I had no printout, I just showed my smartphone pdf file .... BTW no coffee money either side.

@Aidan in HCMC At the Cambodia Bavet entry booth they were asking for vaccine certificates when I was there last Thursday...if you don't have it sounds like you have to pay 200,000 vnd for a rapid test ?

@panda7

Precisely.

I'm glad everything about your run worked out well.

@OceanBeach92107 yes when I went there were elevated stress levels amongst the group especially in the people who had been 5 times already...

@OceanBeach92107 yes when I went there were elevated stress levels amongst the group especially in the people who had been 5 times already...
-@panda7

People should be looking into the fabulous "one-way visa run" option.

A change of scene can be a great stress reliever 😌

Move to Cambodia or another SEA country and avoid this hideous visa system.

-@panda7

I just completed my second (hopefully, last) Mộc Bài run on this past Sunday, 28 August.

My only stress was because I was getting a new Cambodia VOA before the expiration date of my previous Cambodia VOA tourist visa.

My upstairs neighbor had told me he couldn't do that through the visa agent whose been helping him in HCMC.

She told him it wasn't allowed.

Granted, this was anecdotal info from a very new guy in Vietnam working through a third party, but it had me worrying that I might be told I couldn't get another Cambodia tourist visa yet.

I never did find out if that was true.

I simply paid $5.00 USD more and applied for the 30 day ordinary visa.

The Cambodian official didn't hesitate.

Gave me $5 change for my two $20 bills and sent me on my way through the final immigration officer checkpoint (booth).

IF anyone does this, you'll receive an additional small detached immigration document (from the final official) to keep with your passport to be presented with it as you leave Cambodia.

(and yes, he did ask to see my COVID vaccination record)

Next step for me (us) is Immigration in Hanoi on Monday, September 5th to apply for my 3-year TRC (my marriage became official today)

Yeah, I know, "off topic"...

😁

@johnross23 doing my visa run tomorrow, but decided to spend 2 weeks in Cambodia as I have  never been there before.....  Thanks for the info on the "border run

"

@Aidan in HCMC I paid for my e-visa on July 16th and never received the visa.

I arrived today on a 15-day visa.

Anyone else has paid and not received the e-visa?

-@RealPommy

You've asked that question in three different threads so far and three different times I've answered you that your status as having had a previous overstay is probably causing you unique complications.

why don't you just take a walk to immigration and ask them in person?

-@RealPommy

No, RealPommy, no reports of not receiving that I recall, though there have been a couple of instances where the turn around was greater than the 3 days stated on the immigration website. None as overdue as yours.

Best to listen to OB's advice and simply walk in to the nearest office to find out why there has been no response.

Just as an afterthought, I would think that if you had been black-listed that you would not have qualified for the 15 day visa, no?

Thoughts? Anyone?

@Aidan in HCMC  Just as an afterthought, I would think that if you had been black-listed that you would not have qualified for the 15 day visa, no?

the 15 days entry to Vietnam is not a Visa its a Visa exemption to stay in Vietnam for 15 days without having to apply. So how would they know you are black listed until you get to immigration?

@Aidan in HCMC Just as an afterthought, I would think that if you had been black-listed that you would not have qualified for the 15 day visa, no?
the 15 days entry to Vietnam is not a Visa its a Visa exemption to stay in Vietnam for 15 days without having to apply. So how would they know you are black listed until you get to immigration?
-@goodolboy

I was thinking it would show when they scan your passport at iimigration entry point(?).

The last time I made a visa run to Mộc Bài was more than 3 years ago :

- if you live in Sài Gòn, ít was possible to get a cambodgian visa at cambodgian consulate : it may be loss of time, but less stressful for some of us the day of the visa run ;

- every time, I took a bus from Phạm Ngũ Lão bus station : only 60.000 vnd fare (decent AC, old but comfortable seats) : if you do this visa run every month, it may be important  for some of us to save money.

@johnross23 doing my visa run tomorrow, but decided to spend 2 weeks in Cambodia as I have never been there before..... Thanks for the info on the "border run
"
-@alanktan

That sounds like a great idea! 1f60e.svg  Have an awesome trip!

Hope you have a chance to share some info about your experience here when you get back.

As predicted, the brains trust of VN immigration is now waking up to the fact that their shitty 30-day and investor visa system are hindering growth in VN.

Need to make a new post just to post a link.

https://tuoitrenews.vn/news/society/202 … 69029.html

I was told by the young lady that does the visa runs here in DaNang to bao Lao ( we have had people from Hoi Ahn and Hue) that in October the visa runs go back to every three (3) months.  I am apprehensive about the bus again, I met other three (3) passengers on the bus and stayed in contact with them out of us four (4,); three (3) of us contracted COVID. Thank you Speedy for being thoughtful and hiring a van although you were virus free.

Need to make a new post just to post a link.
https://tuoitrenews.vn/news/society/202 … 69029.html
-@colinoscapee

My wife and I had dinner last night with my longtime visa agent here in Hanoi.

She believes that the grand compromise will be to fully implement the new law passed in December 2019 and activated on July 1st, 2020, without COVID era additional restrictions.

So at least 3 month tourist visas will probably become available again for citizens of some (not all) foreign nations.

However, the "permission to remain" stamp will be limited to 30 days at a time.

Anyone wanting to remain in country beyond that initial 30 days will need to report to Immigration to pay approximately $10 USD to receive a new 30 day permission to remain stamp, without needing to leave the country.

She also agrees that there will be some type of interview or questionnaire to determine the source of income while remaining in the country on TOURIST status.

She also agrees with me that the current situation is not simply a matter of controlling tourism, but chiefly a matter of national security.

Alot of people don't care about that, but according to her, the government does.

She's also resigned to the fact that visa agency sponsored business visas are a thing of the past.

However, she's getting so much business from people who don't use the eVisa system in a timely manner that she's hardly mourning the loss of that business.

I applied for my eVisa online- Aug/22 and received email notification of approval on August 25 plaid $25 USD online. 

Hired a van / driver for a round trip from HCM to Moc bai and back to HCMC $60 USD

Arrived at the VN border @ 9:45AM and got the exit stamp after showing my old evisa. Note: nobody asked about my vaccination status (obviously)

At the Bavet checkpoint Cambodian side they'll ask you if you have proof of vacation, if not they'll ask if you have negative test results... I didn't either have the test results nor vaccinated so they got the quick COVID test right there which took only 5min and the charge was 200k VND... after that I got my Cambodia Visa on arrival VOA after I paid $35 USD

I did just a quick U-turn walking around the Cambodia check point's building by the exit checkpoint kiosk...got my passport exit stamp after I show my VN evisa....note; no questions about vaccine status or test results.

Entered Vietnam checkpoint got my Visa stamp by showing the evisa and again no questions about vaccine or test results.

I walked to my xe bus to moc bai driver's parking spot that was very close to the checkpoint for driving back to HCMC 

The entire process at the border took almost 2 hours due to hug lineup.You have the option to pay all your fees either with VND or USD. Also if you want to take negative test results with you it cost about $40 USD in HCMC hospital for antigen rapid test make sure it has QR code and valid for 24h..I had my test at the border for 200k VN about $8.6 USD and as I said just took 5 minutes.

-@SpeedyBuddha

Many thanks for the details.