TRC TEMPORARY RESIDENCE CARD

Dear all
I'm married to a local girl here in Vietnam 🇻🇳 and I recently requested a TRC Temporary Resident Card but the government officials in charge of this told me that because I have a working permit with a working visa sponsor by the Company I'm working with I can not get a TRC until I get a tourist visa and then I can get a TRC !!! Does anyone know any other way than give up my working permit  and change from working visa to tourist visa ?? Kind Regards
Dear all
I'm married to a local girl here in Vietnam 🇻🇳 and I recently requested a TRC Temporary Resident Card but the government officials in charge of this told me that because I have a working permit with a working visa sponsor by the Company I'm working with I can not get a TRC until I get a tourist visa and then I can get a TRC !!! Does anyone know any other way than give up my working permit  and change from working visa to tourist visa ?? Kind Regards
- @gerardoalbert

Once you are legally married you dont require a work permit. Therefore, giving up your WP is no problem.
Like Colin says, also you are legal here to stay if you have a WP so why do you need the TRC?
Dear all
- @gerardoalbert
Did you speak with immigration in Hanoi (or HCMC) or was it a local office?

I personally found that Hanoi answers the phone quicker and was kinder to me over the phone.

These are the phone numbers specifically for foreigners:

HANOI
024 38264026

HCMC
028 39200365

@gerardoalbert
The only problem I could think of is with his current employer. It appears that he is a pilot working for one of the airlines in Vietnam. I would check with their HR and find out if there will be a problem contractually with you going to a TRC sponsored by your wife instead of having them sponsoring your WP.
If he wants or needs to keep the work permit maybe just get a VEC instead of a TRC?  I had a VEC while I had a work permit.  I did let the work permit expire after I married but they did overlap for a while.  Yes you have to leave once every six months (year, really, if you renew once in country every other time,) but if he is a pilot I suspect he's out of the country regulaly.
@Andybris2020

My work contract will end in a few years so I wanted to have the TRC to be ready when I no longer have a working permit
@OceanBeach92107

Thank you 🙏 for the information
I will try Hanoi office
@pogiwayne

Apparently I need the authorization of my Airline !
Tks for the advice I will contact my HR department and ask them
Warm regards
@SteinNebraska

Indeed , I'm ok now with the Working Permit and I travel outside Vietnam regularly is just that before the pandemia you could get both the WP and the TRC but apparently you can not have both now !
@colinoscapee

I need my Working Permit as long as I work for the Airline , before you could get both but now apparently is impossible to get both ! Is either one or the other one
@colinoscapee

Thank you 😊 for the information
Warm regards
@OceanBeach92107

I will try Hanoi office
- @gerardoalbert
You're welcome.

Are you a pilot for Vietnam Airlines?

I've been a passenger with VA at least twice when the voice of the captain came over the intercom and the English accent was definitely Hispanic.

If that was you, nice landing 🛬
@gerardoalbert

Hola Gerardo, if you need to keep the permit to work is probably better if you just get a VEC only takes 5 days to get it, cost like 10 dollars and is good for 5 years.
@SteinNebraska

Indeed , I'm ok now with the Working Permit and I travel outside Vietnam regularly is just that before the pandemia you could get both the WP and the TRC but apparently you can not have both now !
- @gerardoalbert

That is why I suggested a VEC - Visa Exemption Certificate.  All of the same benefits of a TRC except they are good for five years instead of three.  The main difference is that you have to go out of the country once every six months with the VEC whereas you can stay in country for the duration of the TRC.
@SteinNebraska

- @gerardoalbert

That is why I suggested a VEC - Visa Exemption Certificate.  All of the same benefits of a TRC except they are good for five years instead of three.  The main difference is that you have to go out of the country once every six months with the VEC whereas you can stay in country for the duration of the TRC.
- @SteinNebraska

Agree, if you are trvelling in an out of the country a VEC is the way to go.

Agree, if you are trvelling in an out of the country a VEC is the way to go.
- @colinoscapee

I do think when I move back permanently I'll switch to a TRC just for convenience.  I probably would be fine with a six month exit requirement but I don't want to have to be bound to it, especially since we are going to be selling our home in the US.  For me I think it would make sense and the only real tradeoff is the 3 vs 5 years but even then being retired and basically an insignificant cost the three year would be fine.
@OceanBeach92107

Thank you 🙏
@SteinNebraska

Yes ! I prefer to have the TRC is more convenient
@SteinNebraska

I didn't know about the VEC but sounds like a good option

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=369913

I suggest you wait until the WP finish.
Spousal TRC / VEC is easy to obtain within a week!
3 years spousal TRC (need to change to DL visa) is better than 5 years VEC (Visa Exemption Certificate) which you need to renew each 6 months.
Dear all
- @gerardoalbert

Once you are legally married you dont require a work permit. Therefore, giving up your WP is no problem.
- @colinoscapee

this that right?
(presumably to a VN national? :-))

@colinoscapee I had a VEC for 5 yrs.  living in DaNang, I never had to go out of country.  Went to 98 Lei Loi and paid my few bucks two days later and went on my way.  Went to Singapore twice, came back and stamped for free another 6 months.  Each time having to take a copy to local police.  I prefer the TRC.  for three yr. one time to the police and no hassles. I heard now we will have to go personally to Hanoi in 2023 to get a TRC, where others will not be able to assist in getting such (heard this in April).

Regardless of being married to Vietnamese...if you are working in Vietnam as a foreigner, you need have the employer notify the local Labor Department of such.  The paperwork has been largely reduced, but still a need to get such a document of notification/ approval from the local Labor Department.
3 years spousal TRC (need to change to DL visa) is better than 5 years VEC (Visa Exemption Certificate) which you need to renew each 6 months.
- @charmavietnam

you don't mean "renew" as such i think; but do six month 'border run' (which TRC does not need)
- @charmavietnam

on a related point, someone suggested a VEC was "about $US10".
that seemed a bit hard to believe, and i can not remember.
so to update me/us, what is the real/normal cost of both a 5yr VEC and a 3yr TRC, anyone?
so to update me/us, what is the real/normal cost of both a 5yr VEC and a 3yr TRC, anyone?
- @wits3

It is $10 for a five year VEC.  I have one.  My wife was actually able to do everything for me.  I didn't even have to go.  Not sure on TRC.
- @charmavietnam

- @wits3

If you know a little bit about VN you will know that the price can vary from province to province. I did my last TRC in Ba Ria, 3-years for 150 usd if you do it yourself.
- @charmavietnam

- @wits3

If you know a little bit about VN you will know that the price can vary from province to province. I did my last TRC in Ba Ria, 3-years for 150 usd if you do it yourself.
- @colinoscapee
A friend living in Quy Nhơn just converted his first, 6-month spousal TT visa to a 3-year TRC in Hà Nội last week.

Under current restrictions, he was required to make the trip there from Bình Định province with his wife and wait 8 calendar days for processing before she could pick it up.

I'm looking at a copy of the receipt:

₫3,603,750 VNĐ

Add transportation, lodging & the cost of restaurants to get the total cost for him.

The ability to accomplish the task in HCMC, Hà Nội or Đà Nẵng (only 3 choices, currently) is based on the home province (location of Family Book) of the wife.

If that's Đà Nẵng, then it can be done there.

If not, then it's based on which city has authority over her home province.

In our case, we are traveling to Hà Nội from Vũng Tàu (by way of Quảng Ngãi) next week, because "Hà Nội owns Quảng Ngãi", according to HCMC Immigration.

Another friend on a 30-day eVisa in Vũng Tàu is lucking out, as his fiancée is from HCMC, so they only need to travel there to submit the application, and then she can return about 1 week later without him to pick it up.

According to ******

No advertising on forum

Moderated by AndyHCMC last year
Reason : no ads on forum
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

According to this link******

Different visa types:

Reason : No ads on forum

**** @Van88

Geez, all these abbreviations, TT, VEC, TRC, PP, blah, blah, blah. gives me heartburn.

Recently did my 1st VEC renewal, you know,...the Moc Bai run thing. So, as we complete our home here  (Mid December) wife her address, my address in My Tho, she/we will apply for my driving permit, TRC here, at our new address. Or, if not immediately TRC, we can then renew VEC here in My Tho.

I know the whole deal for us is disruptive to life at least, and the TRC will make it at least less than more disruptive.

Sooooo, life goes on from there.

The only issue I've got to settle is the pesky 7162, I learned about here on the Forum, settling it this week.

REALLY, never had an issue with proof of life with SSA until this year. filing taxes every year was all I did.

Still seems odd to me, about the form. How about breathing on a mirror, on a video, in front of a notary, sending that in too!

Geez, oh man, damn, ugh! blah, blah, blah, but we are happy here.

MAc

Reason : Quoted Business links removed

For information on types of Visas please read here

There is no advertising on forum please read code of conduct

If you wish to advertise please contact Expat team or add your services in our Business Directory

>>No advertising on forum

What? What?? I try to enriched the post/help with the new info from the net.

Notice you can get 5y TRC according to the link.

So you think since i am vietnamese, it was a spam? Shame you

I was an expat, left again 2019 due to family reason. Right now I try to help my nephew with his internship in hcm

@Mac68

Here are the info (abbreviations) he have removed  from my post

Tourist visa (DL)

Business visa (DN1, DN2)

Student/internship visa (DH)

Investor Visa (DT1, DT2, DT3, DT4)

Working visa (LD1 – LD2)

Diplomatic visa (NG)

So you think since i am vietnamese, it was a spam? Shame you

I was an expat, left again 2019 due to family reason. Right now I try to help my nephew with his internship in hcm
-@van88

Your link was to a site selling services. That is not allowed see the code of conduct. (I didnt mention spam)

If they wish to advertise they can add themself to our Business Directory or contact us to place an ad.

Putting a link to someones consulting is still advertising even if you are trying to help your nephew, if they wish to learn about visa types there is already a detailed thread all about the types and classifications Visas To Enter Vietnam.

@Mac68
Here are the info (abbreviations) he have removed from my post

Tourist visa (DL)

Business visa (DN1, DN2)

Student/internship visa (DH)

Investor Visa (DT1, DT2, DT3, DT4)

Working visa (LD1 – LD2)

Diplomatic visa (NG)
-@van88

The thread I linked to Visas To Enter Vietnam has ALL the visa types, you are welcome to add any info missing so it is all in one thread.

Hello van88,

Unfortunately sharing links to external websites is not allowed on the forum. Only official/government sites can be shared here1f609.svg

I thank you for your understanding,

Yoginee

Expat.com team