Surviving Architects?

Hi! 

Any architects surviving out there?  I'm tempted to leave the comfort of my own home to venture to the other side of the world for more interesting work and life (if such thing exists).  I'd appreciate very much if you would share your thoughts.  Who knows, I might be convinced to stay put?  Oh no . . . .

Oh, btw, my favorite architects are Frank Gehry, Louis Kahn, Calatrava, Norman Foster, to name a few off my head right now . . . .  Well, it's more sculptural, poetic and streamlined at the same time.  But, Van Gogh is my all time favorite.  I know, he's a painter . . .   

Thanks for visiting.  Hope to hear your inspiring thoughts soon!

beyond disillusioned,

Catherine

Hi, as Italian architect I can tell you that instead follow moderm/postmoderm architects (as calatrava, ghery, fuksas, foster...) I decided long time ago to live those archistar and their space concept, because they becoming as movie star. I refuge my thoughs trough the past analysing the historical space view, Michelangelo, Leonardo, Vignola, Borromini....
If they will live now, in this time, I think the others should change job.
I'm living now in china......unbelivable country.
FP

Hey hi fpelizzatti!  At last, an architect, awesome!   

Thanks for dropping by!  I totally agree with you regarding those 'superstar' and so-called intellectual.  On the other hand, I'm also tired of the banal pragmatism of copycatter.  Hey, but then who am I, haha? 

It must be an interesting combination of both the Italian and Chinese historical exposure.  In the past, I tend to stay away from the two because of their overwhelming historical reference; just didn't know where to begin before I would get drowned. 

It sounds like you and your wife are settling down in China already.  I wish you two the best.  And perhaps if I finally make my way out there, you two could show me my own herritage! 

Ciao.  Have a great week!

Catherine

Hi you catherinedeusa.
I saw you like French. Me also, in effect I'm Italian, but for 1/2 france.

Presque pur la moitie' francoise, grandemere et aussi grandepere abites a Paris. Moi aussi j'ai etudie a Paris et avant moi mon pere(painting\architecture). I love Lucien Froid peinter (englishman,that is dead some months ago).

Your english is very good, but mine really bad.
Yes actually I'm travelling for tourism in china. I arrived here 2 weeks ago. It's the second time I come here, but this is the first time I coming to consider the opportunity moving here in china. I don't have yet definitley decided, because I dunno the construction market here, and also still learning mandarin.
Anyway in any pace I've been in china there are a lot of site building in construction, it's unbeliveble. And more unbeliveble that'is non happening in Europe (in USA ??). Europe compare to China is not moving at all.

Are you also an architect ? If so wonderful.

Have a nice week-end you too, Catherine

FP

Catherine,
I am an Industrial Designer who has been traveling to China for many years for my work. And I often come across more architects on the planes than anyone else, maybe only second to people wanting to teach English. But almost all of the architects I have spoken with say that the architecture firms that are still alive in the USA are doing well because they have offices or projects in China and India. It is amazing what is going on in China. If you could/can speak Mandarin, it might be better than a college education, or at least a graduate degree.

Best of luck and jump on in.

Regards,
Walter