Nonimmigrant Visa to States

I have a friend in Kenya that have apply to nonimmigrant visa to visit me here in the U.S., but have been denied due to no strong family ties, like children, wife etc.  that would keep him from not coming back.  He present letter from me, his job there and others assuring that he would come back, copy of round trip ticket with his return date (Aug 9 - Aug 31, 2011), and they still denied him a second time.  Do any one have any other sugguesting or know someone can assist?

Hi Marie64,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Your topic has been moved on the USA forum for better visibility. I hope other members will be able to advise you.

Hello Marie64,

Most Usually, a visitor visa also called temporary visa is for between 3 and 6 months but can be given for up to 1 yr.

Any non-immigrant visa applicant is thought or presumed to be an intending immigrant until he or she proves otherwise with supporting documentation.

In your friend's case, while he did show the letters from you and his employer as well as others and a copy of his round trip ticket, this was clearly not enough to demonstrate that after his visit, he will return to Kenya.

These are some of the things that he should include:

1)Invitation letter from you clearly stating the duration of the visit and if he will stay with you or in a hotel or elsewhere, then this needs to be reflected in the letter as well.

2)Letter from his employer on company letter head with details of his job title(position),salary and how long he has worked with the company.

3)Bank statements of at least, last 3 months, to demonstrate that he has sufficient funds to cater for his expenses while in the USA and that he will not have to work while there.

4)If he is married, he can show his marriage certificate as proof of family relations. Also if he has children, it could help his case if he took with him his children's birth certificates. If he is NOT married,and he is financially responsible for family members such as parents or siblings in terms of rent and fees for example, then he needs to show that as well(he can take with him rent or school fees receipts)

5)Proof of possessions e.g Land/property title(s)in his name etc.

6)If he is too young and therefore hasn't established such ties, then educational status, school grades can be considered.
7)Interview etiquette is also as important(Maintaining eye contact as well as answering to questions truthfully and speaking clearly is a plus!)

Please keep in mind that each person's situation is different and each case is looked at individually and is given every consideration under the law.

Also, even if he does provide the above documentation, he will not be guaranteed a visa. However,it is another chance for him to represent his case again with new evidence.

I wish your friend all the best and hope that he gets a visa to come visit you!

Thanks Mallo & Christine